Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

1 in 9 schools don't have English as the first language

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

http://www.telegraph...t-language.html

I have to say I didn't expect it to be that high

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Yep, slightly surprised it's that high.

At Maidenhall primary school in Luton, 98.9 per cent of pupils do not speak english as their first language.

Children speak no fewer than 14 different languages, including Pahari, Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi, Somali, Polish, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Portuguese, Arabic, Spanish and Pashto.

When pupils arrive at the school at the age of five, some have never seen a word of english before. Pupils are up to two years behind the national average for when they arrive.

Yasmine Dhillon, the head teacher, said: "Some of them have never seen the written word. At home the parents may not have any books, and when they come to us some of them only have words or phrases in English."

For the first year pupils are "immersed in English", after which most pupils have reached national standards.

Good stuff then. There are techniques for sorting the kids out very quickly and, as long as the teaching remains good and kids who fall behind aren't written off then they'll catch up (and often overtake their 'native English' classmates, especially in the spoken form of the language.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

The difficulty is in differentiating between people who don't have English as a first language and those who don't have sufficient capability in English (who may or may not have English as a first language).

The school of which I was a governor for a few years had plenty of both.  There was a growing problem of children from all backgrounds arriving in Reception and being close to non-verbal.  They could work with children who'd come into the nursery but it was very, very hard on limited resources (probably worse now) for those who started the school proper in that position.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

I'm surprised the Torygraph even picked that up. It sounds like a Daily Mail kind of headline.

Although the average written English on this board sometimes leaves me gasping for breath.

One, Hull FC poster regularly drops his h's more than his winger drops passes.

He writes his as is, has as as, and has the grasp of punctuation of a chip butty

Edited by Bleep1673, 03 February 2014 - 06:02 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'm surprised the Torygraph even picked that up. It sounds like a Daily Mail kind of headline.

Although the average written English on this board sometimes leaves me gasping for breath.

One, Hull FC poster regularly drops his h's more than his winger drops passes.

He writes his as is, has as as, and has the grasp of punctuation of a chip butty

Psst, you've missed the full stop off your last sentence. ;)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Why?  The Telegraph was simply pointing out a fact.  There is a large number of schools in England in particular in which a high proportion of children do not speak English as their first language.

Young children are very adept at learning a new language so long as immersion techniques are used but it is easier for these children to fall behind in their other studies partly because time is taken up with language learning in classroom hours but also because they often don't have the parental support in that learning due to parents being unable to speak English either.  Parental support can be the difference between success and otherwise throughout the primary school years.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Yep, slightly surprised it's that high.

Good stuff then. There are techniques for sorting the kids out very quickly and, as long as the teaching remains good and kids who fall behind aren't written off then they'll catch up (and often overtake their 'native English' classmates, especially in the spoken form of the language.

The problem is the English children who won't get much education in the first couple of years because they are waiting for the other kids to learn English. These kids will then be significantly behind the rest when they enter secondary school. There is a very real equal opportunities issue here.

#8 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

The difficulty is in differentiating between people who don't have English as a first language and those who don't have sufficient capability in English (who may or may not have English as a first language).

There is also a big difference between a school where 20 languages are spoken and English, despite being everyone's second language, is by necessity the lingua franca in the playground, and a school where all the kids speak the same non-English language.

FWIW, it's now thought that one of the reasons why London state schools are so good* is that so many of the children are fluent in multiple languages. 

* that twunt Gove would never admit that, of course.

That's me.  I'm done.

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

There is also a big difference between a school where 20 languages are spoken and English, despite being everyone's second language, is by necessity the lingua franca in the playground, and a school where all the kids speak the same non-English language.

FWIW, it's now thought that one of the reasons why London state schools are so good* is that so many of the children are fluent in multiple languages. 

* that twunt Gove would never admit that, of course.

It's news to me that very many of them are "so good". London schools have multiple problems.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

1. I blame the Welsh

2. Point and speak louder... it's exactly what teachers do anyway, whatever the language.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

It's news to me that very many of them are "so good". London schools have multiple problems.

That's maths, not English. Do keep up, boy.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Well, you need to keep up.  London schools have been the best in the country for some time now.

It's thought to be a mixture of the incredibly varied intake, the opportunities inherent to a big city and the hugely successful "London Challenge" programme which, unusually, is a government programme which focusses on the thing that matters - ie the quality of the teaching and the interaction between the teacher and the pupil - rather than a whole barrel load of irrelevant Govine guff.

That's me.  I'm done.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Well, you need to keep up.  London schools have been the best in the country for some time now.

It's thought to be a mixture of the incredibly varied intake, the opportunities inherent to a big city and the hugely successful "London Challenge" programme which, unusually, is a government programme which focusses on the thing that matters - ie the quality of the teaching and the interaction between the teacher and the pupil - rather than a whole barrel load of irrelevant Govine guff.

I'll give you that some schools are probably very good but I would certainly be interested in any link that suggests that London schools across the board are overachieving.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I'll give you that some schools are probably very good but I would certainly be interested in any link that suggests that London schools across the board are overachieving.

Link

- Severus, July 2012

#15 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

To be fair, it was something I read in that hotbed of lily-livered liberal, do gooding nonsense - the Financial Times.  So it's probably rubbish.

That's me.  I'm done.

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

gingerjon and me are psychically linked.   I'm basically like he would be if he had any balls.

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

gingerjon and me are psychically linked. 

I wondered what those voices were.

- Severus, July 2012

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,838 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I wondered what those voices were.

You need one of those tinfoil helmets...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

You need one of those tinfoil helmets...

There are one or two posters on here who should have one to spare. If you ask nicely I'm sure they'd be happy to lend you one.  :ph34r:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Apparently I have used my monthly limit of 8 free articles. I'll have to read it later.