Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Minimum Wage in RL

Jon Wilkin article

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Jon Wilkin states in this week's LE that he thinks we should introduce a minimum wage for players.

If I'm honest I don't see the reasoning for this.

As far as I'm concerned, they do have a minimum wage, it is the same as the rest of the country. Now without bringing the salary cap into this, what are people's thoughts around a minimum wage?

My thoughts are that it is up to individuals to negotiate their own wage, just like I do when i go into a job.

JW talks about having to pay players the right amount of money otherwise we will lose them as a game, but surely the clubs will pay what they think they are worth and what they can afford?

I don't see how a minimum wage will help any of the things he talks about.

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

There is a logic to this if it were a means of reducing the incentives for players to move codes/countries. On the other hand this tends to end up as a ratchet mechanism to be exploited by agents.

As long as there is an appropriate minimum entrance fee then I'm sure everyone would be happy with this.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

There is a logic to this if it were a means of reducing the incentives for players to move codes/countries.

Yeah, but the people you want to stop drifting away aren't going to be on minimum wage.

Or, if they are, I can understand them moving out.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, but the people you want to stop drifting away aren't going to be on minimum wage.

Or, if they are, I can understand them moving out.

And if they are on low wages, there is somewhere for the game and clubs to go.

He seems to be using the argument for raising the salary cap in a strange way.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

There is a logic to this if it were a means of reducing the incentives for players to move codes/countries. On the other hand this tends to end up as a ratchet mechanism to be exploited by agents.

As long as there is an appropriate minimum entrance fee then I'm sure everyone would be happy with this.

If they introduce a minimum wage without a salary cap increase, they are actually risking losing more of the top players, as more of the cap would have to be spent on the lower players.

Unintended consequences and all that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users