Squad announced

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

The 22 man squad has been announced. Thoughts on tour and squad.

http://www.northwest...for-canada-trip

#2 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Good to see so many clubs being represented , well done to all concerned .
First tour of the new league and new opportunities for the coaches so its a thumbs up from me .

Edited by TaxiEgg, 09 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#3 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

The 22 man squad has been announced. Thoughts on tour and squad.

http://www.northwest...for-canada-trip

Funded by ?

#4 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Themselves Roger!! 

#5 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Themselves Roger!! 

Themselves Roger!! 

Who are themselves?

Is it the players' clubs  or the league.

#6 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

The Players Roger.

The league have contributed towards it but the invoice is to the player not the club

#7 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Are there no grants available from our wonderful governing body who fully support the community game ,or does supporting overseas development not fit into the master plan ?

#8 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

I think this could be the future for BARLA. Its quite obvious now that they have lost the battle against the RFL in regards to running the game at tier 4 or whatever it is now, so why not use the interest from the money they have invested to make development grants to the community game for things like regional league tours, County tours or coaching clinics etc. or even new leagues like the Cumbria League.

A board of trustees could be created from the regional leagues to manage the fund.

Only an idea, but I fully expect to get shouted down about it !!

#9 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

There are grants available Mick just not enough to cover the costs.

Its no different to anything else going on just under a different name with more opportunities for lads and coaches who don't always get selected.

Remember the lads who are on this tour committed to the North West Men's league last season and for that they get the opportunity to tour but at their own cost. The best part about it everyone who applied to trial all knew the score and didn't put them off, there was over 70 players put forward for trails!!

There is a need for this in all regional leagues it gives them lads something to play for. The Lionhearts program will probably distribute 5-8 tours a year from various leagues/divisons in the country. More important it will pick teams of the level of their opponents to let the game develop!

#10 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

The Midlands have/will run overseas trips to Serbia and Russia that are player funded. Usually over-subscribed.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#11 Norfolk

Norfolk
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Its a credit to all concerned - lets not bring boring RL politics into it.

#12 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

No politics from me, I just thought that the money BARLA has invested belongs to the clubs, so why not put it to some good and award grants to help develop the game globally and to improve it in this country as well

#13 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

No politics from me, I just thought that the money BARLA has invested belongs to the clubs, so why not put it to some good and award grants to help develop the game globally and to improve it in this country as well

Had the result gone the "right way" at the AGM elections in June, money would have been invested where it would have made a difference

#14 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

Yes it would have Roger but I didn't win.

Making tours more accessible to more players would of happened at BARLA had I made chair. The three counties is a great competition but only being able to select players from that comp means you are only ever picking the potential best.

The game covers far more people than just the elite which has been my argument at the top for the last 5 years

#15 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Yes it would have Roger but I didn't win.

Making tours more accessible to more players would of happened at BARLA had I made chair. The three counties is a great competition but only being able to select players from that comp means you are only ever picking the potential best.

The game covers far more people than just the elite which has been my argument at the top for the last 5 years

Yes make the tours more accessible and easier on the pockets by all means, but the investments that I spoke of would have been more grassroots. Take the BARLA Foundation for instance; this initiative would have financed the start up of teams at under 7's/8's level. 

Sadly I'm afraid that the present BARLA Board don't give a hoot or have an understanding about the importance of investment in the youth/junior of our game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users