Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Quite a gap.........

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

According to todays League Express, the 2 teams who are relegated from SL this season will,in 2015, received funding from the RFL of £788,000 and £787,000 respectively.

The club that finishes first in the Championship this season will, in 2015, receive funding of £550,000 and the runners up will receive £500,000.

For the clubs that finish 3 - 12 in 2014, their funding for 2015 will range on a sliding scale from £200,000 to £150,000.  So a one place difference in the league makes a difference of £300,000.

All for one and one for all, eh?

And for interest ALL the clubs in Championship 1 will receive the grand sum of £75,000 each.

Edited by fredm, 03 February 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#2 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

excellent, back to parachute payments to reward failure and ensure theres an unfair playing field.

mind you cas/ giants/ reds and crusaders all stepped back up after their season slumming it in the northern ford premiership/ national league

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#3 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Quite frankly ridiculous.

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

As also pointed out the probability of any club who finishes 3rd or below gaining promotion during the following season will be strictly limited.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

A little extra money may be available from the council for the club to develop the game locally. Sheffield have received £45,000 from the council and both have similar councillors. Can't hurt to ask around.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#6 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

A little extra money may be available from the council for the club to develop the game locally. Sheffield have received £45,000 from the council and both have similar councillors. Can't hurt to ask around.

i hope your being facetious lad because kirklees is all for Huddersfield and or council estates when it comes to handouts.

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

The vast majority of clubs in the RFL appear to have received considerable financial support from their local councils in some way, shape or form over the years. Heck, some of them even had a whole new stadium built for nothing!

In contrast, Kirklees Council have never given either Batley or Dewsbury ANYTHING to assist with stadium development or other efforts. Why is this?

I realise full well that access to council funds is a privilege and not a right, however there's a real disparity here in terms of the attitude displayed by other local authorities to their sporting clubs.

Edited by TheTerminator, 03 February 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

#8 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Due to the fact kirklees is giving all grant's to huddersfield town and huddersfield giants . Lets be fair about this both clubs have millionaire owners but yet stil keep getting handouts from the council .i believe its because kirklees council is based in huddersfield .

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

So, the SL is stitching up our clubs again but let's blame it on Kirklees.

Just for information I don't believe that any council in the country is currently in a position to offer any real assistance to local professional RL clubs.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

£45,000 seems like real assistance to me.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

£45,000 seems like real assistance to me.

It's not "assistance".

They buy in a service.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Sorry bsj didnt relise u were a member of kirklees council my mistake ???

#13 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

I am sure that if there is any cash available in Kirklees Kevin will be aware of it. Although how this impacts on the distribution of funding by the RFL is beyond me.

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,216 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Sorry bsj didnt relise u were a member of kirklees council my mistake ???

I prefer to work on the basis of facts and logic. Sorry toffee i didn't realise that you can't do the same. My mistake.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 phildog

phildog
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

It's just my opinion, but I think restructuring is restructuring in name only. It does nothing for current championship and div 1 clubs. Now that SL relegated clubs are getting parachute payments they are going to be able to afford the top end of available players to enable their swift return thus creating an uneven playing field before a whistle is blown. Once the 2 SL's are split into the 8's the games become meaningless to me, less pointless than staying in the championship and having a GF to aim for. What are the plans for that anyway? We've got so carried away with talk of restructuring that we've lost sight of some of the things that clubs like Batley could, nay will, lose. We've already lost NRC this season, that cuts down championship clubs' earning potential in building for SL2, how will that fit in in 2015 and who will be allowed to enter it? How will Grand Finals be worked out when there are 4 divisions after a certain period in the season? Lots and lots of questions are still to be asked and answered before we all get carried away and think that all the game's ills have been cured.

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Non-Dewsbury
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'm not so sure. We get 90k at the mo from the rfl. Even doubling that amount will bring benefits to the club in some shape or form even if it means local lads who play for our club and put their bodies on the line get a bit more cash. I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens

THIS IS WHAT CENSORSHIP LOOKS LIKE!!

Favorite film - "Silenced by the Lambs"

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#17 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Once the 2 SL's are split into the 8's the games become meaningless to me, less pointless than staying in the championship and having a GF to aim for.

After the split in to 8's, will be the equivalent to the play off's and GF, so they will have far more meaning the than the league games in my opinion, certainly for the top and bottom groups of 8 anyway. For the 2nd group of 8, it will be a hiding for nothing for the 2 from our division.

In the Super League 2 (The 2nd tier of 12) Batley's division barring relegation this year, it will consist of 

2 Teams who will get £788k and £787k in funding.

2 Teams £550k and £500k

and the remaining 8 teams on £200k to £160k

So the top 4 of SL2 is decided before a ball is kicked, Which makes the league pretty pointless. As we already know the top 4 in our division the 2nd tier of 8 is also decided too. It will consist of the bottom 4 in SL1, where teams are getting £1.87M each, and the top 4 teams in our league, who will make up the middle group of 8 will get between £500k and and £788k. Means after the split in to 3x8's, the teams from our divisionwill have absolutely no chance of competing and winning anything in the 2nd tier of 8. It's going to be a joke competition.

If we finish in the bottom Group of 8, that's fine by me,  At least it will be a fair playing field for the 8 competing in our split with only £40k separating the top and bottom in terms of funding.

In a nutshell the second group of 8 will be like the current Batley or Dewsbury sides trying to compete week in, week out with teams like Hull or Catalan given the £1.3M disparity in funding. Good luck Fev

Edited by DOGFATHER, 04 February 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#18 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Is all this 3 tier split system the real reason for scrapping the northern rail cup for the championship teams then??

#19 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

By the sounds of it, we will be no further forward or behind than we are now, but the prize money will increase, so whats the big hooha all about?

If we finish as runners up like we did last season, the £500,000 windfall would enable Batley to do all sorts to the ground and continue the progressive improvements.

Also the prize money on offer on the "sliding scale" will still be considerable more than any club below SL gets at the minute, so its win win as far as im concerned.

Add to that they havent decided how much TV money each club will get, and its not looking too bad.

The promotion and relegation thing was always going to be brought back and stacked heavily in favour of the existing 14 SL clubs.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#20 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

It's league positions BSJ, not Grand Finalists.  We finished 5th last year so if the positions are the same this year will receive approx £400,000 less than the winners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users