League title or Grand final

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Now there is 500 000 for first and second in championship is the league title more important than winning a grand final this year to the supporters ?

Before anyone says it yes I would also like both

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Grand Final = Champs. However lots of Rovers fans regard the league, you are only the competition winners by winning that Grand Final. That one everytime.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 Monkeymagic22

Monkeymagic22
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Its the money that counts this year, so we need to finish 1st or 2nd to have any chance of promotion the year after.

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Bit of clarification needed before you start making policy decisions, gentlemen.

Last year, Sheffield were first, Batley second, Fev third, when it came to handing out the biggest prize fund. True, there was a little extra for finishing at the top of the pile.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Read the Martyn Sadler piece in the League Express. It states the team finishing top of the championship this year gets £550,000 and the team finishing second gets £500,000 so winning the league is far more lucrative than last year.

#6 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

The league will be harder than most think this time; Put Dewsbury and Donny etc in the usual mix of the usual suspects; Fev are playing well but we don't know yet how other teams have strengthened; Its going to be a very interesting season that's for sure;

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Read the Martyn Sadler piece in the League Express. It states the team finishing top of the championship this year gets £550,000 and the team finishing second gets £500,000 so winning the league is far more lucrative than last year.

Sadler just says "Championship", which you interpret as meaning the regular league season.

I interpret it as being the Grand Finals series - as does Robin in post 2.

You may be right - I'm just asking for clarification.

#8 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Martyn Sadler states the 2 amounts for winning and coming 2nd, then goes on to say clubs finishing 3rd to 12th will be on a sliding scale from £200,000 to £150,000 that to me indicates league position. However everyone will read it their own way.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

His actual turn of phrase is "the clubs that finish first and second in the Championship".

Ambiguous at best.

I would have thought that the club finishing first was the Champions.

But - no - apparently you're right.  It's the league table.  Which begs the question, what's the point of the play-offs ?

#10 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

what's the point of the play-offs ?

a lot of people have been asking that question since their inception into RL.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#11 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hope there is still the playoffs this year as there is only two trophies to play for in the championship as no NRC but I think the top spot is the most important. A lot of us have said its the hardest to win but as we all know the GF winners have been called champions in the past. If we are to continue moving forward that top spot is the most important this year financially and will continue to be with the new structure

Does anyone know what the prize money will be for the GF winners

#12 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

One thing that has been a pleasant surprise recently is that when journos and fans of SL teams have been discussing whether Championship teams should be in SL, they seem to place far more weight on the fact that Fev have topped the League 4 years running, rather than focus on our defeats in finals, which tends to be more heavily discussed by more Championship-oriented people (such as fans of Championship teams and journos/broadcasters who concentrate on the Championship).

When the pros or cons of Fev making SL have been discussed, I haven't heard one journo/SL fan suggest that not winning the Grand Final the last two years in any way undermines our claims. It seems that greater emphasis is being placed on more robust trends - our overall win/loss record on the field, and, just as importantly, the very progressive developments off the field.

#13 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Grand Final = Champs. However lots of Rovers fans regard the league, you are only the competition winners by winning that Grand Final. That one everytime.

If the Grand final is the only thing that matters, then what is the point in the league system? Winning a few games to be crowned "champions" is ridiculous. Win the league, we are league champions, win the grand final and we are Grand final winners.

#14 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

If the Grand final is the only thing that matters, then what is the point in the league system? Winning a few games to be crowned "champions" is ridiculous. Win the league, we are league champions, win the grand final and we are Grand final winners.

Tell the RFL that. The league winners until last year got zero for winning the league and didnt even get a box ticked to apply for super league, it is they who were telling us the league wasnt important other than getting you an easier passage to the GF. it now seems that they are placing more importance on the league table and rightly so

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users