Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone from Workington town to comment?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

We see these many hundred posts regarding new signings and such.
People said this,
Someone's post man said that!
Fact of the matter is Charlton said last I read 4 or 5 signings were being talked too etc etc....
Since then following the gutting fact we had wigan postponed due to an awful act of god! May well have lost of a large sum of money!!
However as the league starts a week on Sunday I am really worried we don't have what it takes to survive in the league where as others do,
Our neighbours are taking trialists on playing them,
Were as we have one match to play potential trialists and then what we take a chance on dual reg Swinton 2013 style?
Well that's me finished with my concerns, please feel free to air yours and hopefully the board will speak out or charlo or the players (mossop did and it was a good read)

#2 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hopefully some news this week. I am sure its not through lack if trying that there hasn't been more additions. As things stand its going to be a tough season. The backs should be ok its in the forwards that we need a few new recruits IMO and them we'd be fine.

#3 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'm sure they will when there's something concrete to say. If you look at some of the trialists Whitehaven have had they're either stupid or looking to bolster numbers because some of the lads they've played aren't even good amateurs.

#4 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

On serious note watching the trialists on Sunday only 2 out of the 6 will make it the others are out of there depth at this level.

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'm sure they will when there's something concrete to say. If you look at some of the trialists Whitehaven have had they're either stupid or looking to bolster numbers because some of the lads they've played aren't even good amateurs.

some top amateurs cant make it in the pro game, where some who dont stand out thrive in the better environment. Lets hope im right because rowlandson was far from a top amateur when he played league but hopefully takes to the pro game like a duck to water. Nothing wrong with giving lads trials, you might just unearth a diamond in the rough
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I think ' taking a chance ' is the right phrase . If we're putting all our eggs in the DR basket - still to be seen of course - then those names could play a huge part in determining our season ... If they're low down first team squad members great, but if they're juniors then it's an unknown how they'll take the huge step up . It is a risky strategy- I don't know the details , but I'm just putting the point that it all depends on what you get when you place your plans in the hands of other people . I'll be really interested to see what transpires . We've played high stakes poker this offseason , fingers crossed we collect come September .

Edited by DavidM, 04 February 2014 - 11:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users