Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stacked Deck

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Further to the thread on TV rights etc I felt it worthwhile to begin a new thread on the funding implications for 2015 onwards.

My understanding of the funding to those clubs relevant to us in 2015, dependent upon their final standing in 2014 would be:

SL13th                             £788,000

SL14th                             £787,000

Ch1st                               £550,000

Ch 2nd                             £500,000

Ch 3rd                              £200,000

Ch 4th                              £190,000

Ch 5th                              £185,000

Ch 6th                              £180,000

Ch 7th                              £175,000

Ch 8th                              £170,000

Ch 9th                              £165,000

Ch 10th                            £160,000

=============================   Relegated

Ch 11th                            £155,000

Ch 12th                            £150,000

Ch 13th and all below       £75,000

I am making a guess at the tapering between 3rd and 12th and this is only the money from the TV deal, no other sponsorship is included. If my figures are incorrect then i would be please to be told about it.

What this does demonstrate however is the significant disparity that will exist within these 3x8 leagues when they are eventually formed. The "top four" will have £300K+ more funding than the rest, yet we will be battling for the top four places under these circumstances. Despite the reintroduction of P&R will there really be anything more for most clubs to compete for under the new system?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Cannot believe that the Championship clubs, with the possible exception of one, have agreed to this. Why the discrepancy between 1 and 2 and the rest?
And what does it say to clubs in the bottom tier? Here's a few bob, get on with it.

#3 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

What would clubs spend it on? It seems to me that the quality of player at the bottom of SL is no better than the mid to top of the Championships so why splash out on them to much?  For me it's an opportunity to grow the sport, not just create relegation and promotion. Dewsbury (for example) may wish to invest in the current crop of players on longer term contracts, and invest other sums slowly but surely developing Tetley's stadium. 

However this money will allow for is an increasing number of these players to go full-time. With the numbers you see here, there are 50-60 more full time players able to play, promote and develop RL at Championship level. I can also see opportunities for Championship clubs to get transfer fees if they do invest at grass roots and unearth a gem or 2.

It's not all doom and gloom.

#4 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Currently the gap is much larger I think the sums are SL 1.1m Championship 90k. So with this new deal the gap has closed , the first time in a long time I would hazard a guess. I see that as a positive. Lets not kid ourselves most of the £200 million deal is down to SL so they get the biggest slice of the pie.
You could take some money from 1+2 and put abit extra in each of the other clubs but then those two clubs will say ' we need that to compete with the SL clubs'
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Cannot believe that the Championship clubs, with the possible exception of one, have agreed to this. Why the discrepancy between 1 and 2 and the rest?
And what does it say to clubs in the bottom tier? Here's a few bob, get on with it.

Agree Fred but who said that the Championship clubs were ever consulted? This will simply be a case of "you're getting much more than you did before, so say thank you".

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

i always thought ps paid to show our games on telly,only this last week on here as it turned out we got nowt, so are we now going to get some ££££ from the funding that we wernt getting up until this season,in other words are we better off in 2015 than we have been for past few years as am sure without been on telly crowds should be up slighty too. :pickeat:

#7 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

What would clubs spend it on? It seems to me that the quality of player at the bottom of SL is no better than the mid to top of the Championships so why splash out on them to much?  For me it's an opportunity to grow the sport, not just create relegation and promotion. Dewsbury (for example) may wish to invest in the current crop of players on longer term contracts, and invest other sums slowly but surely developing Tetley's stadium. 

However this money will allow for is an increasing number of these players to go full-time. 

I agree to an extent Ackro. There is very little difference in quality as you point out, but having the ability to make the majority of players full time, makes a big difference. Due to the gaps in funding, it will mean that at least half of the team will be full time for the higher paid clubs, 

The major problem with this is, the 2 clubs in our division this season, and the bottom 2 in SL who will be joining us, will be paid so much more than the rest of the division, the group of 12 will be meaningless and decided before it starts. Therefore the top 4 going in to the second group of 8 from our league is almost decided before a game is played,

But tbf they will have no chance of competing in there group of 8 once the split happens. As they will have to compete against 4 teams getting £1.87M a season. £1M more than even the highest paid club in our division, a bigger gap than the one currently in place between the CH and SL. So it will inevitably create a Boom and Bust yoyo scenario again. The 4 from our division will have no option other than to overspend to get anything like competitive, which will lead to more clubs in financial trouble

The first and third groups of 8 should be pretty evenly matched as the funding will be the same, but that second group is just plain crazy.

#8 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I agree to an extent Ackro. There is very little difference in quality as you point out, but having the ability to make the majority of players full time, makes a big difference. Due to the gaps in funding, it will mean that at least half of the team will be full time for the higher paid clubs, 

The major problem with this is, the 2 clubs in our division this season, and the bottom 2 in SL who will be joining us, will be paid so much more than the rest of the division, the group of 12 will be meaningless and decided before it starts. Therefore the top 4 going in to the second group of 8 from our league is almost decided before a game is played,

But tbf they will have no chance of competing in there group of 8 once the split happens. As they will have to compete against 4 teams getting £1.87M a season. £1M more than even the highest paid club in our division, a bigger gap than the one currently in place between the CH and SL. So it will inevitably create a Boom and Bust yoyo scenario again. The 4 from our division will have no option other than to overspend to get anything like competitive, which will lead to more clubs in financial trouble

The first and third groups of 8 should be pretty evenly matched as the funding will be the same, but that second group is just plain crazy.

Think Mark will have to lower his ambitions to us being the best club outside SL2 in the long run. Personally, I wouldn't want to see us getting murdered in group 2 every week against full time players. Reckon there will be more bad news to come when the RL start kicking around the idea of another French club and/or others. At least we now know where we stand - if it were a two Ronnies sketch, we would be the ones saying " I know my place" :shout:

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Further to the thread on TV rights etc I felt it worthwhile to begin a new thread on the funding implications for 2015 onwards.

My understanding of the funding to those clubs relevant to us in 2015, dependent upon their final standing in 2014 would be:

SL13th                             £788,000

SL14th                             £787,000

Ch1st                               £550,000

Ch 2nd                             £500,000

Ch 3rd                              £200,000

Ch 4th                              £190,000

Ch 5th                              £185,000

Ch 6th                              £180,000

Ch 7th                              £175,000

Ch 8th                              £170,000

Ch 9th                              £165,000

Ch 10th                            £160,000

=============================   Relegated

Ch 11th                            £155,000

Ch 12th                            £150,000

Ch 13th and all below       £75,000

I am making a guess at the tapering between 3rd and 12th and this is only the money from the TV deal, no other sponsorship is included. If my figures are incorrect then i would be please to be told about it.

What this does demonstrate however is the significant disparity that will exist within these 3x8 leagues when they are eventually formed. The "top four" will have £300K+ more funding than the rest, yet we will be battling for the top four places under these circumstances. Despite the reintroduction of P&R will there really be anything more for most clubs to compete for under the new system?

BSJ, until the figures are all finalised we can only guess at how much a club gets for where it finishes in 2014.

However, the first figures that were released regarding the 12 Championship clubs some time ago showed -

1st -  £650,000

2nd - £600,000

3rd  - £550,000

4th -  £500,000

5th -  £250,000 

and the rest down to 12th place were tapered downwards by roughly £14,000 per position to £150,000.

At the end of 2014, 2 teams are being relegated from SL and 1 team will be promoted from Championship 1.   This means that 5 teams are relegated from the Championship at the end of 2014 in order to get it down to 12 teams for the start of 2015.

To cater for this the prize structure has been altered for the first year to give the amounts you have shown in your post down to 11th place (or 9th remaining Championship team).    So in effect all the teams drop down 2 places, i.e. the 1st Championship team picks up the 3rd placed team prize and so on.   The prize for the bottom team, £150,000 goes to the team promoted from Championship 1.

The following season when 2 teams will be relegated and 2 teams promoted between the two Championship leagues 1st to 10th will move to their rightful prize (£650,000 down to around £160,000) and the bottom two amounts will go to the 2 teams promoted from the Championship 1.  

All relegated clubs from the end of 2014 receive a one off payment of £25,000 and receive the Championship 1 payment of £75,000 per club.

The figures have already been altered recently so there may be more alterations still to come out.    The 2 relegated SL teams were supposed to pick up the top 2 prizes of the Championship (£650k and £600k) plus £250,000 each giving them £900,000 and £850,000 but as you have shown they are now only to receive £788,000 and £787,000.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

As youb say Keith many things have been changed already and many more probably will. I believe that those figures which were publicised in Oct 2013 have already been compromised but without a definitive statement from the RFL we can only continue to speculate.

As I understand it a big question mark now stands over the concept of one club from C1 being promoted at the end of 2014. The most recent suggestion is that the top club after the C1 playoffs may play a winner takes all match against the team finishing 10th in the Championship.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

As youb say Keith many things have been changed already and many more probably will. I believe that those figures which were publicised in Oct 2013 have already been compromised but without a definitive statement from the RFL we can only continue to speculate.

As I understand it a big question mark now stands over the concept of one club from C1 being promoted at the end of 2014. The most recent suggestion is that the top club after the C1 playoffs may play a winner takes all match against the team finishing 10th in the Championship.

Yes, that is correct but isn't this just typical of the RFL.   Here we are 11 days from the start of what is to be a very important season for many clubs and we are still asking questions about what is happening?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users