The ins and outs of the new Super League TV deal

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

All the details of the lucrative new deal - how much Sky are paying and how it will be divided between clubs: http://www.totalrl.c...ve-new-tv-deal/

A very interesting read.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for that.  Do you know if the Challenge Cup and International coverage is exclusive?  Terrible newd if this is the end of all live RL on BBC, but I would still hold out hope this is not the case and those parts are still available for shared coverage...

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,166 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for that.  Do you know if the Challenge Cup and International coverage is exclusive?  Terrible newd if this is the end of all live RL on BBC, but I would still hold out hope this is not the case and those parts are still available for shared coverage...

That's the main worry for me, too. I'd like to think that Sky are aware of the shop window for the sport that terrestrial coverage offers.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

I've got to say that on the face of it the deal looks great and a far cry from a lot of negative posts I've seen!

Edited by Oxford, 04 February 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#5 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

There hasn't been an announcement on this, I'm afraid. We will look into it.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

a) So if we are getting £182m, why do the amounts going to SL, Champ and C1 clubs only total £163m - I assume this means the RFL/SLE will get their 10% cut (mentioned as the cost base in the policy doc)?

b ) Based on the Championship 1 splits, the 13 clubs in here will be getting £75k x 13 = £975k per annum = this totals £4.8m over 5 years or £6.8m if split over the 7 years. This is much higher than the £1.8m they are supposedly getting.

This is actually pretty difficult to understand, is the £200m split over the 7 years, or has some funds been filtered from the £200m to increase the amounts payable in 2015 and 2016?

Will these increases start in 2017?

#7 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Seems reasonable but the balancing act is....

a.  Committing to a deal that on top of the current means 8 years until next deal and hence you believe over that 8 years media rights market isn't going to increase much and hence best your going to get.

b. Await or do a shorter deal because you believe the media rights market will significantly improve and hence get lot better deal. That is you believe BT Sport may impact market more, plus new potential players like Vodaphone looking to spend the many billions they now have into investing or buying a broadband company and/or broadcaster to offer triple-play, like they are doing in Europe.

Providing the deal was done within the strategic framework of the RFL as distinct from panic reaction to Sky offer, If the former its all good, if the later more fools to themselves for not considering future competitive sports TV market. But time will tell if immediate money needs meant longer term was fully considered.

Never-the-less its more than the current, so that seems reasonable.

Edited by redjonn, 04 February 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I know there will be people against the fact the 12 SL clubs get more (and hopefully that will include London and maybe Toulouse) but we need an elite competition and this money will help create that.

Hopefully the Salary Cap will be increased to at least £2m with a marquee player rule with a higher weighting towards UK players.

#9 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

a) So if we are getting £182m, why do the amounts going to SL, Champ and C1 clubs only total £163m - I assume this means the RFL/SLE will get their 10% cut (mentioned as the cost base in the policy doc)?

b ) Based on the Championship 1 splits, the 13 clubs in here will be getting £75k x 13 = £975k per annum = this totals £4.8m over 5 years or £6.8m if split over the 7 years. This is much higher than the £1.8m they are supposedly getting.

This is actually pretty difficult to understand, is the £200m split over the 7 years, or has some funds been filtered from the £200m to increase the amounts payable in 2015 and 2016?

Will these increases start in 2017?

It's a £200 million deal over five years, but a significant proportion of the money will be paid in the next three years. For example, the £300,000 that each SL club will receive within the next couple of weeks represents Sky paying a 'deposit' on the contract.

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Which clubs get the hastily agreed to £300k immediate bonus payment? Was that just to SL clubs to get their votes?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Which clubs get the hastily agreed to £300k immediate bonus payment? Was that just to SL clubs to get their votes?

Oddly, the turkeys had to be bribed to vote for the Christmas of 3x8.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

It's a £200 million deal over five years, but a significant proportion of the money will be paid in the next three years. For example, the £300,000 that each SL club will receive within the next couple of weeks represents Sky paying a 'deposit' on the contract.

Thanks that's what I suspected.

Anything on why the Championship 1 numbers, for example look way out?

#13 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

How much is significant... surely not that significant otherwise have major issues during the remaining 4/5 years of the new deal if large amount is providing short term plaster fix to some clubs.

It would suggest that very short term desperation trumped mid-to-longer term consideration of the TV sports media rights market. Maybe it was all considered and it is a good deal taking the future marketplace into account.  But that's the questioning line I guess you will be taking.

#14 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks that's what I suspected.

Anything on why the Championship 1 numbers, for example look way out?

The Sky money that each of the Championship 1 clubs gets will be supplemented by RFL money from other sources to bring the total to £75,000.

#15 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

It isn't even a bonus payment really, its not additional to the contract amount just an advance against it.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Oddly, the turkeys had to be bribed to vote for the Christmas of 3x8.

The Championship clubs representatives had already been baffled by the bright shining of £ signs in their eyes at a very early stage.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#17 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

dont like the fact that S/L clubs receive the same yet the championship sides have to operate on a sliding scale , think it should be one rule for all 

also think that the scale reduces too quickly for the 3rd place in the championship 

on the whole its good for the sport but could have been a lot fairer 

#18 Womer

Womer
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Another big barmy mistake by the RFL

The way that paywall sport is going, $ky will have to show a test card rather than football which BT Sport will be hoovering up in the next few years.

Why didn't the RFL at least see if BT Sport were interested instead of going for $ky's carrot up front ???

#19 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

There hasn't been an announcement on this, I'm afraid. We will look into it.

The Challenge Cup final has to be on terrestrial free to air at the moment, as it's one of the protected events.

#20 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Bt would never have come up with that amount of cash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users