Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The ins and outs of the new Super League TV deal

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

a) So if we are getting £182m, why do the amounts going to SL, Champ and C1 clubs only total £163m - I assume this means the RFL/SLE will get their 10% cut (mentioned as the cost base in the policy doc)?

b ) Based on the Championship 1 splits, the 13 clubs in here will be getting £75k x 13 = £975k per annum = this totals £4.8m over 5 years or £6.8m if split over the 7 years. This is much higher than the £1.8m they are supposedly getting.

This is actually pretty difficult to understand, is the £200m split over the 7 years, or has some funds been filtered from the £200m to increase the amounts payable in 2015 and 2016?

Will these increases start in 2017?

It's better the RFL getting a 10% cut than IMG I suppose.

#22 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

It's better the RFL getting a 10% cut than IMG I suppose.

Under the last deal I thought the RFL received the same share as each club. The extra could be a negotiating bonus I suppose but isn't there a cost to the big screen and video ref equipment. Which may also account for the short fall.

#23 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Bt would never have come up with that amount of cash

You could be right but hopefully it has been tested. 

Also the RFL could have created media packages, e.g regular round SL, play-offs, magic weekend, etc and providing it fitted in with a strategy of maximizing pay tv and getting out to "free" TV to maximize exposure.. etc.   

#24 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

i would assume  that in return for the cash ,sky would want some sort of exclusivity

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Football on BT generally gets a quarter of the viewing figures that Sky football can get.

I'd prefer us not to go with an even smaller channel, providing we can get the money we are asking, which based on the vote it looks like we did.