Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Antibiotic resistance

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think you have missed the point that this thread is about antibiotics, not patent issues on products. drug companies develop drugs to, in principle at least, help medical conditions. They protect their investment in the development of these drugs through the patent system. The whole point being that the drug is effective and will be used extensively so they can sell as much as possible during the patent period.

The way antibiotics work is that their use needs to be restricted otherwise the pathogens will evolve resistance to the drugs. Hence if a new antibiotic with little or no side effects is developed, the medical profession will restrict its use, to preserve its effacity .

Therefore it is not profitable to develop antibiotics since their use will be restricted on medical grounds.

In the case of antibiotics (which is what this thread is about) the free market will not work since why would any company invest in a product that will only be use sparingly before the patent runs out?

I missed no point because as I pointed out the initial period when the drug is only available from its original manufacturer is one where the drug is used sparingly. It generally costs too much to be used in anything but the cases when it is really necessary. Drug companies are thus able to recoup their investments.

It's only when the drugs are licenced as generics that the problem of overprescribing and drug resistance becomes a problem. Thus it is a problem for the NHS not the drug companies.

#42 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Are there any drugs that can remove the apparent chip on my shoulder?

#43 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Are there any drugs that can remove the apparent chip on my shoulder.

That was more aimed at Browny who tried to sound clever by bringing up a right-wing economist that had nothing to with what I was saying plus parroting Weary Rhinos childish put down about me having an A-level in economics (I do but I also have a degree). 

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 February 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#44 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

... Weary Rhinos childish put down about me having an A-level in economics (I do but I also have a degree).

Don't hide you light under a bushell, it's not just a degree. If I remember correctly it's a degree "given to [you] by people with Masters"!

LUNEW.jpg

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Are there any drugs that can remove the apparent chip on my shoulder?

Phase III development stage.

Worrying side effects are that you may end up liking union but you will no longer be called a chippy northerner.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Don't hide you light under a bushell, it's not just a degree. If I remember correctly it's a degree "given to [you] by people with Masters"!

First we had the apprentice now we have the master chippy.

You have nothing to say but felt the need to be unpleasant anyway.

#47 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

First we had the apprentice now we have the master chippy.

You have nothing to say but felt the need to be unpleasant anyway.

Hth

LUNEW.jpg

#48 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hth

If acting like a school boy makes you happy then go ahead. Personally if I think someone is wrong I tell them why; trying not to be rude in the process.

#49 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Phase III development stage.

Worrying side effects are that you may end up liking union but you will no longer be called a chippy northerner.

Interestingly the placebo arm of the study is also having the same beneficial effect so it would appear that the chippiness is purely a state of mind brought about by too much fried food and high quality beer rather than a genuine medical condition. We await the full statistical analysis but early data analysis suggests this to be accurate with a 90% confidence interval.

28m391z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users