Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Get in there, Marwan!

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#181 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

http://www.itv.com/n...-catching-fire/

For the sceptics 

As I think Wilde once said "There's only one thing worse than being talked about........."

And the truth is Our Sport as been left out of that arena, I know this will not convince some but if you look at league on the web, go to matches with family of friends, have Sky and or buy a publication dedicated to league it's all too easy to forget that the mainstream media has ignored us to a large extent for far too long. 

The title of the thread says it all!

#182 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

http://www.itv.com/n...-catching-fire/

For the sceptics 

As I think Wilde once said "There's only one thing worse than being talked about........."

And the truth is Our Sport as been left out of that arena, I know this will not convince some but if you look at league on the web, go to matches with family of friends, have Sky and or buy a publication dedicated to league it's all too easy to forget that the mainstream media has ignored us to a large extent for far too long. 

The title of the thread says it all!

Couldn't agree more. In fact i would go as far as to say the media has been allowed to ignore us.

I would think that the vast majority of people who know about League," Outside of the heartlands and the odd enclave " will know about it from the TV.

I have watched for 60 years, and truth be told the impression that always came to me was of a sport that knew it's place. In the earlier days of TV, The CC, or whatever, it always looked like and was portrayed as a secondary sport, played on antiquated grounds. The BBC made Leagues best known person , into something of a joke figure who came to be known as Uncle Eddie .

I have even heard people boasting about it only being played in Yorks/ Lancs,/Cumb, Every body else being to soft to play League.

League has to distance itself as far from that past as it can, It is getting decent money from SKY now and there is more to be had. There are new Stadiums in use and more looking promising, This is the chance for league to strut it's stuff.

The world cup was great, (and so it should be ) Forget about basking in the glory of it, Capitalise on it, Get people in place who can shove league down everyones throat " just like Union does" and like Dr MK does,

If league doesn't forget the past, who has been great in the past , who could be great in the future ,If only this was done or that happened, concetrate on now , Who is good now, Make the game so good that TV companies will compete to get it.

Just my opinion , But in the next few years the fittest will survive and raise their game, below that will be the clubs who are destined to become the supply line of players. I make no predictions about who the elite clubs will be by the time the TV contract is renewed, but they are likely to be more or less perminent.

I just can't wait to watch Wolves and Saints tommorrow "from my armchair"  Thousands and thousands just like me, If that doesn't show people where the future lies ,I dont know what will.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#183 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

"a sport that knew it's place" Does sum up a lot of what's been previous Giant Strides  "Make the game so good that TV companies will compete to get it." I think it already is, but a sense of complete difference form ru, a clear, identifiable identity is what's important. A few years ago we had the Red Zone from 10 metres out and people pick up on things like that in order to comprehend a sport they're new to and from then on to excite them in the moment it comes close. The trouble has always been that RL will try it for a moment then give it up! A sport only needs a few key markers like the Red Zone to create a sense of what it has to offer that you can't get anywhere else.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Edited by Oxford, 13 February 2014 - 03:05 AM.

#184 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

"a sport that knew it's place" Does sum up a lot of what's been previous Giant Strides  "Make the game so good that TV companies will compete to get it." I think it already is, but a sense of complete difference form ru, a clear, identifiable identity is what's important. A few years ago we had the Red Zone from 10 metres out and people pick up on things like that in order to comprehend a sport they're new to and from then on to excite them in the moment it comes close. The trouble has always been that RL will try it for a moment then give it up! A sport only needs a few key markers like the Red Zone to create a sense of what it has to offer that you can't get anywhere else.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Interesting post.

Regards the quote, To me we need to remember the past with fondness, Remember the hights it has risen too, in the Heartlands, Remember the magnificent players that have graced the game, and realise that those days are not coming back.

We have new hights to reach now, new great players to appreciate, For me the future is with the ILs and MKs.

League is a modern sport now played in good stadia, by great athletes, It deserves to be seen Nationwide and it will be via TV, and hopefully it's popularity will grow, Lets not get bogged down trying to preserve the past.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#185 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

Giantstrides "To me we need to remember the past with fondness..."  and  "League is a modern sport now played in good stadia, by great athletes, It deserves to be seen Nationwide ...." with you all the way on both points....

Personally I've loved every minute of RL since I first discovered it was the best thing on the menu. Still feel the allure of the past and also miss the biff! Thanks to youtube there is access to all sorts of games (and biff) and footage of players I never saw. One of the reasons I picked the Red Zone episode is because it shows you don't have to change the rules necessarily to make it more interesting or different ( noticeably so because people still say things like League that's the one with the play the ball isn't it and that's if you're lucky enough to meet some one who's awake ) It's also a wonderful example of a perfectly good idea that seemed to last a very short time and was dropped for no discernible reason. When people have a go at the RFL even when they're " Doing Good, Running Strong!" I think it's where they gave up too soon on so many ideas that they have really been at fault. But that's a thread in itself!

PS There are those who have a go at MK but to get ITV to do a report like the one I put up in a previous post , to get people to sit up and take notice,  in a world where seeing beyond Man Blue v Man Red is almost akin to Columbus saying the world is round to flat  earthers is amazing!  

Edited by Oxford, 13 February 2014 - 03:57 AM.