TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Get in there, Marwan!

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Just getting bored of his rants. Like someone else said let's judge him after a few months on the performance of Salford

Ranting is an inevitable result of observing ineptitute. Personally, I think he's doing a great job keeping so calm - I'd be apoplectic.

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I just love Marwan Koukash.  Where has he been all these years? 

#23 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

How's he getting on with marketing Salford?

#24 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Exactly. Nobody's talking about them only him...

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Last rumour (FACT?) was that season ticket sales were under target.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

I love Marwen - hope he has a brother

And if he does I know a Rugby League club down south he could take over. Please.....

The Good Doctor's a Top man in my my book - Vive la Red Revolution at Barton !

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 04 February 2014 - 08:21 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#27 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

over treble the season ticket sales. ....and thats on a promise!! Hopefully they will win their first game as that should keep the crowds coming back!

#28 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

over treble the season ticket sales. ....and thats on a promise!! Hopefully they will win their first game as that should keep the crowds coming back!

Exactly. 

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Exactly. Nobody's talking about them only him...

If you remember what Nobby says in a great deadpan response to Koukash then that would suit the club just fine. 

#30 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

He will be first to walk and roll up another bradford bulls

Bradford Bulls have had the professional assistance of the RFL for the past couple of years.
They don't need him.
Do you have any views on what he said earlier today?
John Kear seems excited he has joined our sport.

He did give gushing praise to the set-up at Leigh Centurions,but did suggest that promotion was not going to be possible from The Championship.
Wasn't it the chairman at your club who put a message on the club website when the RFL 'pressured' them into quickly paying to HMRC what they were owed despite an earlier agreement?

Any reason you seem blighted by negative vibes?

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#31 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I like him because he's manifestly playing the long game. He patently isn't a guy who's going to high-tail it out of Dodge at the first opportunity.

What he (and a great many others) have observed is that the sport is asphyxiated by lack of publicity. It's the root of the problem, and always has been. There are two ways to address that: (1) is to physically assault / harangue the media [something he kind of did today], and (2) buy recognition.

The latter is the biggest issue. In order to create a vibe, you need to guarantee something that gets you noticed (hence the SBW overtures). Quite frankly, if he could import publicity by buying the likes of Jonny Wilkinson, Courtney Lawes, and George North, he probably would (for all the good it would do). Problem is... the rules won't let him. And for that, British Rugby League is all the poorer and is in stasis.

And for "stasis" you can read "managed decline" if you like.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

We;ve just had a very successful world cup and renegotiated upwards our Sky contract, if this is managed decline, I'd like some more please.

#33 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

The good Dr is great. How bloody amateurish are the RFL, 24hrs to decide on an 8 year TV deal.

The clowns are running the circus

#34 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

Spidey this is not true!

"Exactly. Nobody's talking about them only him... "

and if you look for something to be wrong long enough you'll find it!

#35 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

really good article, this guy knows his stuff

#36 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

http://www.dailymail..._medium=twitter

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#37 Bullish Giant Rhino

Bullish Giant Rhino
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Koukash speaks with transparency. No politicial double talk. If you get offended by that then you've got too used to accepting lies.

Edited by Bullish Giant Rhino, 04 February 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#38 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

Considering the sky deal is far more then the English Premiership get from BT I'm not sure how you work that out. They've also had to throw the right for European games in too.

Isn't the English Premiership tv rights ends in 2017 and I bet you their new deal from 2017 and beyond will be much more than the current Superleague deal signed by Sky for the same period.

#39 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Dr. Koukash was, of course, merely joking about wives and girlfriends. He was, however, making a serious and, in my view, correct point. For what it's worth he met his wife when they were in Liverpool and neither of them had much money. I find him to be an extraordinary charismatic and compelling figure. I've met him a few times and he remains compelling. I am sure he will be a tremendous asset for Rugby League and Salford in particular.

I would advise those who don't know the man not to leap to adverse judgement. He's the real deal.

#40 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

The blokes gold! Much better than the rehearsed boredom other club officials spout. May even force the RFL to rethink their approach in certain areas.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users