TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

team for Sunday

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Yes we have 22 signed on but 4 are totally unproven at this level,our lack of props is frightening and although ill be at every game as im a glutton for punishment, im not expecting much from this season as of yet. I think dave bowden stepping down with no real replacement found is hurting us now, and shows what a great job dave did at the club.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#22 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

I think now we just want to know the plan - we're beyond criticism . We just want to know what's what then we can get on with it .

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

So many questions but so few answers and that is bound to make fans feel alienated from the club.      We have been getting told for weeks now that we are "talking" with players, etc, 3 or 4 according to our coach not that long ago, and obviously some of those for whatever reason have decided not to sign for us, so what's the secret?      

We have a squad of 22 players and we require 17 per game so you don't need a degree in mathematics to see that if we get a few injuries we will be short of players, again, and that we need more recruits.    We have lost the cushion of DR with Widnes, not that they helped us out when we needed it at the end of last season, but they sent players throughout the season.    Rumours have been going round for several weeks now about us DR-ing with Wigan and yet here we are 11 days away from the league kick-off and we are still wondering are these still rumours or will it happen and if so when?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

The fact of the matter is there are a lot of good loyal fans getting disillusioned with the club. There was such a good feeling around the place after a very successful season last year and then the world cup, but that is all rapidly being forgotten because of the serious lack of noise coming out the club. Now there's always going to be people on here saying calm down, look at the positives etc but I speak to a lot of die harders and there totally disheartened about the upcoming season. We should all be buzzing that the league is a week away but im afraid theres just no optimism at present

#25 maripins

maripins
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

So many questions but so few answers and that is bound to make fans feel alienated from the club.      We have been getting told for weeks now that we are "talking" with players, etc, 3 or 4 according to our coach not that long ago, and obviously some of those for whatever reason have decided not to sign for us, so what's the secret?      

We have a squad of 22 players and we require 17 per game so you don't need a degree in mathematics to see that if we get a few injuries we will be short of players, again, and that we need more recruits.    We have lost the cushion of DR with Widnes, not that they helped us out when we needed it at the end of last season, but they sent players throughout the season.    Rumours have been going round for several weeks now about us DR-ing with Wigan and yet here we are 11 days away from the league kick-off and we are still wondering are these still rumours or will it happen and if so when?

Keith, got to agree with you here.Last May Donny beat us at home 24-20.(One of our scorers was Lawton!) I think our squad is a lot weaker now, with Acton,Thacks and Dowes gone while Donny drew with Hull FC pre season 16 all.They are DR with them this season as well.I know we unearthed two gems in the Philips brothers but I can't see another 4 amateurs coming good all at once and at present with the squad we have we'll be relying on them to perform. No easing these lads in. After last season I thought, (my opinion only) that we needed a crafty experienced half back as a priority.No good having a ground making pack when the halfs don't seem to know how to get the backline moving. Very despondent, old ticker taking a hammering!!

#26 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

What we would give for a holty type player now. Excellant organiser, great kicker and a proper general on the pitch.

#27 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

2 props with experience required asap

#28 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wouldn't argue with that. Easy for us to say though. Would you like to come out and admit we can't attract players or we don't have any money because I wouldn't. I would also imagine those situations and what he could see coming would've been in Dave Bowdens mind when he left.

#29 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Surely we should be able to attract players - we were a play off team last year- so we should be seen as a good bet to play for?
Players will travel -look at havens recruits.
So it has got to be down to money -either we havn.t got any or the club feels they want too much.

#30 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

We must have money, we had better crowds last year than the previous, weve lost 3 ex super league players and have less signed on. Plus the income from the world cup. I find it very hard to believe we are any worse off than the last 2 seasons

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Bearintown that first point was exactly what I was just thinking . We must be a decent bet to join , regardless of the down sides attached to it . And the money thing intrigues me . Again in this one it's just queries - but we lost a fair chunk of our salary cap , and have replaced it with nowhere near equal value you'd reckon . Yet we hear about loans and DR ... Even the guys we know couldn't or wouldn't come we're loans . It is an interesting one , the signing of our own players from the pro - ranks . Can we not sell the club to players ? It's just a question without the inside knowledge .

Edited by DavidM, 05 February 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#32 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I though the average gate was down?

If I lived in Yorkshire or Lancashire I wouldn't travel to Cumbria 2/3 times a week unless I was getting substantially more money would anyone else on here??

We may have been a play off side but 2 of the teams below us went down and the other 2 are in this county one of which is closer to Lancashire.

How do we know we didn't overspend last season on the expectation of increasing gates that didn't materialise and used the World Cup money to bail us out? I remember reading we drew down our RFL money early and we wouldn't have done that had we not overspent would we

#33 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

I though the average gate was down?

If I lived in Yorkshire or Lancashire I wouldn't travel to Cumbria 2/3 times a week unless I was getting substantially more money would anyone else on here??

We may have been a play off side but 2 of the teams below us went down and the other 2 are in this county one of which is closer to Lancashire.

How do we know we didn't overspend last season on the expectation of increasing gates that didn't materialise and used the World Cup money to bail us out? I remember reading we drew down our RFL money early and we wouldn't have done that had we not overspent would we

Yes there was a reduction in the average attendance figures for last year of 109 per match.

However, when it was stated last week that we were not signing players until the last minute to save money, I asked the question with the board and the reply I received was that there was nothing wrong with our finances and that rumour was utter tosh.    So I think we should knock that on the head straight away as that doesn't give out a very good signal to any potential signing.     Every club has a budget and some stick to it, others take the chance and push their luck and I am pleased to say that our club comes under the former.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#34 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Are there any potential signings ? Comparing last year with this at the same stage there must be room in our budget , but how many pro players are out there ? Is what we have in the kitty waiting to absorb the DR guys , as they count in the cap I think I'm right in saying? I guess how you use the budget has no right or wrong way if it breeds success , but it's the wait to know the strategy in the first place that stretches out. I guess if it's coming then that announcement must be imminent , and then we'll get a clearer picture of our strength .

Edited by DavidM, 05 February 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#35 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Well I think we pushed the boat out last year in terms of the players we brought in. Some worked, some didn't but I also expect that would've been on the assumption that gates went up which they didn't and they do t want to make the same mistake as there's no World Cup to fall back on this year.

West Cumbruans obviously only want to see a winning team so for that mind we'd be better off in the league below stuffing everyone week in, week out.

At the end of the day if this is our squad that's just how it is and I won't stop travelling over because we don't have any superstars and lose games I'd hoped we'd be in a position to win. I didn't in the previous 5 years and I certainly won't now.

#36 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Charlo said new signings in the paper??? O boy can't wait the paper Tommorrow

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Charlo said new signings in the paper??? O boy can't wait the paper Tommorrow

The way I read that he is talking about Lucock, Rowlandson, McAvoy and Haney!!

#38 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

The way I read that he is talking about Lucock, Rowlandson, McAvoy and Haney!!

and Duerden, that's how I read it too, will just have to wait and see

#39 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I can really relate to these sentiments, and I am sure your views are also shared by other fans.
I have been a supporter of the club for fifty five years, but I can honestly say that I can't remember feeling any more despondent than I do now regarding the beginning of and expectations for a new season.
I really hope that my fears are proved unfounded. Motivational and promotional comments from our club would be very much appreciated.

Despondent !!! we are in the Championship one and are financially stable, last season was the most enjoyable for many years (better than the season before and we beat the jam 5 times) I'm hoping this year will be just as good. The early noughties and mid eighties......now that was a time to feel despondent !!! Please get a grip, If supporters of 55 years are spouting stuff like this, then I fear for our club.

UP THE TOWN

#40 Dearham Lass

Dearham Lass
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Despondent !!! we are in the Championship one and are financially stable, last season was the most enjoyable for many years (better than the season before and we beat the jam 5 times) I'm hoping this year will be just as good. The early noughties and mid eighties......now that was a time to feel despondent !!! Please get a grip, If supporters of 55 years are spouting stuff like this, then I fear for our club.

UP THE TOWN

Thanks for your pep talk Unicorn 106 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked.
Indeed, historically Town has been through extremely bad patches and during those times I have seen supporters lose interest and find other things to do on Sunday afternoons almost to the point where I could recognise most of the supporters who did attend.
It is very much because of the successes of last season and the excitement generated by the World Cup that I wrote the piece about my concerns. It is imperative that we continue to build upon that success and make attending a Town game an attractive proposition for the neutrals, the newly interested and the previously disenchanted. My point here is ( with due respect to the board), are we?
The lack of serious motivational information coming out of the club does little to pacify the concerns of the existing fan base nor tempt new supporters onto the terraces.
Again, to state the obvious (as mentioned time and again both directly and indirectly by posts on this site), from the playing perspective the squad is vulnerable and needs strength in depth to meet the rigours of this season.
We don't want to regress, we need to progress.
I do have a firm grip on reality despite your doubts, and as a season ticket holder I will continue to support the club in the future whatever their status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users