Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

team for Sunday

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Looks like you've got a firm grip to me !

#42 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Let's face it. It was positive last season and we lost supporters so positivity doesn't correlate to attendances.

#43 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

We are in the Championship,not Championship one ;) , ######!! ,you have jinxed us now haha.

2/3 good/big/Acton like forwards is what we NEED and if we got them in, Myself and the others who feel a bit let down(dont know how to word it) would be alot happier. This is the first season in a long time I dont even feel interested. I will be there every home game and as many as I can away games but im just not feeling it at the minute!

I really thought we would of got some new faces in by now, if we dont get the players in, I fear relegation :(

Like I say though,Town will get my support. Loyal fans dont walk away from thier team!!

UP THE TOWN!!!!

#44 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for your pep talk Unicorn 106 but I'm afraid it hasn't worked.
Indeed, historically Town has been through extremely bad patches and during those times I have seen supporters lose interest and find other things to do on Sunday afternoons almost to the point where I could recognise most of the supporters who did attend.
It is very much because of the successes of last season and the excitement generated by the World Cup that I wrote the piece about my concerns. It is imperative that we continue to build upon that success and make attending a Town game an attractive proposition for the neutrals, the newly interested and the previously disenchanted. My point here is ( with due respect to the board), are we?
The lack of serious motivational information coming out of the club does little to pacify the concerns of the existing fan base nor tempt new supporters onto the terraces.
Again, to state the obvious (as mentioned time and again both directly and indirectly by posts on this site), from the playing perspective the squad is vulnerable and needs strength in depth to meet the rigours of this season.
We don't want to regress, we need to progress.
I do have a firm grip on reality despite your doubts, and as a season ticket holder I will continue to support the club in the future whatever their status.

Fair reply Dearham Lass. I would love us to sign 3 or more players before the season starts, we need them, I just can't understand all the gloom and doom from some fans, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season new signings or not.

Nice to hear you would stick by the club whatever their status, I wish there were a few more like yourself then maybe we could go out and get a few more quality players.

A couple of posters on here have suggested we shouuldn't be short of money !!! Why would that be then ? The club does well to keep their heads above the water given the crowds we get, the guys who run the club are not buisnessmen and aren't in a position to pump money into the club. Let's be honest. if we spend money we haven't got and get into financial trouble then it would be the end of the club, I'm afraid wouldn't be coming back under another name like the chancers down the road.

#45 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

We are in the Championship,not Championship one ;) , ######!! ,you have jinxed us now haha.

2/3 good/big/Acton like forwards is what we NEED and if we got them in, Myself and the others who feel a bit let down(dont know how to word it) would be alot happier. This is the first season in a long time I dont even feel interested. I will be there every home game and as many as I can away games but im just not feeling it at the minute!

I really thought we would of got some new faces in by now, if we dont get the players in, I fear relegation :(

Like I say though,Town will get my support. Loyal fans dont walk away from thier team!!

UP THE TOWN!!!!

OOOOOPS Championshipm one it is, even more reason to be happy ;) I also fear relagation it's going to be a dog fight whoever we sign..

#46 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Fair reply Dearham Lass. I would love us to sign 3 or more players before the season starts, we need them, I just can't understand all the gloom and doom from some fans, I'm still looking forward to the start of the season new signings or not.

Nice to hear you would stick by the club whatever their status, I wish there were a few more like yourself then maybe we could go out and get a few more quality players.

A couple of posters on here have suggested we shouuldn't be short of money !!! Why would that be then ? The club does well to keep their heads above the water given the crowds we get, the guys who run the club are not buisnessmen and aren't in a position to pump money into the club. Let's be honest. if we spend money we haven't got and get into financial trouble then it would be the end of the club, I'm afraid wouldn't be coming back under another name like the chancers down the road.

I was one of them that said we shouldn't be short of money unicorn106 when it was being stated that that was the reason for us not signing players to save money.    I took the time to ask a board member about it and I was told that our finances were alright and what was being said was not true.   At the same time I was told that the club had a budget for the season the same as other clubs set out a budget and where some go over their budget I was assured that Town wouldn't be doing that.   

I agree with you that the current board do an extremely good job in the circumstances and I have, many times, asked for people to come forward and join them on the board and help out.   Sadly, no-one yet has put themselves forward.     

On the subject of relegation I cannot agree with some fans who think it wouldn't be so bad and they expect to be winning week after week.   With 4 or 5 clubs going down plus some of the clubs down there I can foresee a lot of hard matches.    Financially, we get £90k now in central funding, relegation would mean a one off payment of £25k plus the same as all the other Championship 1 clubs will be getting £75k.   However, all the Championship clubs will be receiving much bigger amounts and therefore they can attract the better players.   With a little bit of luck last season we could have finished 6th and this year that position would pick up around £200k that is why it is so important to be in the 24 at the end of this season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#47 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'll stand by the club but I.M.H.O its going to be a tough season if no more players are to be added as we simply cant afford any injuries which is a big ask and we are short in the forwards. Hopefully a DR agreement will be announced soon.

Edited by town4me, 06 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#48 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Yeah it will be a very long season if we don't get anyone in. Bags of time why the panic......

#49 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'll stand by the club but I.M.H.O its going to be a tough season if no more players are to be added as we simply cant afford any injuries which is a big ask and we are short in the forwards. Hopefully a DR agreement will be announced soon.

A quick glance at the names not included in the 19 man Wigan Squad for the initial Super League match:

Logan Tomkins HK

Gill Dudson PR

Greg Burke LF SR

Ryan Hampshire FB SO SH

George Williams SH

Sam Hopkins LF PR

Dom Manfredi WG CE

Lewis Tierney FB WG

Rob Lever LF SR

Jordan James PR

Wishful thinking I know, (and not for the Egremont game) but if they need competitive match fitness and we had DR with Wigan??

Some of these might do if we had injuries!

Edited by Supporter, 06 February 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#50 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Brad Fearon playing on Sunday

#51 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hopkins, Dudson,  Hampshire and Manfredi please thank you very much!

#52 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

No Matty or ell on Sunday.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Two of our core elite . Doesn't bear thinking about if we lose these come next week. Hope it's nothing much.

Edited by DavidM, 07 February 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#54 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Two of our core elite . Doesn't bear thinking about if we lose these come next week. Hope it's nothing much.

other commitments I think. There not injured,might turn into a good thing as Lucock should get a lot bigger stint and get himself comfortable in and around our pack

Edited by wonky, 07 February 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Good good . I still think we will start next week with new blood .

#56 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Ideal preparation

#57 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Wont be long now folks ;)

#58 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Wont be long now folks ;)

until what? Christmas? The apocalypse? All more likely to come before new signings lol.

#59 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Winter Olympics

#60 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

With the season so close we're SKATING on thin ice and with SNOWBOARD involvement in the transfer market we could go DOWNHILL fast, back to the bad old days when SLALOM Lager were club sponsors.

With this SKELETON squad i can see a lot of CROSS-COUNTRY defeats as well as in Lancashire at BOB'SLEIGH where Beswick's the key man.

...sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users