Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Pietesen is Marmite

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Has any other sportsman ever divided opinion than KP?, yes he was a game changer!!, but at nearly 34 and not set the cricket world alight for 2 years surely now is the time to move on and rebuild!. Thank you KP enjoy your domestic and no doubt IPL and Big bash years ahead.

#2 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

For those with long enough memories a certain G Boycott kept all of us down south amused in the mid-1980's as Yawkshire became Geoffshire. Now how did that song go:

The members are out to reinstate .

The greatest batsman of our time

Boycs will be Boycs at the end of the day

There will always be a Geoffrey wherever Yorkshire play

Geoff. Geoff, Geoff.., Ad nauseum

Even today the greatest living YAWKSHIRE man keeps the rest of us Playing "Boycott Bingo"  :jester:

IMO most Yorkies are pretty Marmite to begin with ;)

Except of course Manchester's own Michael Vaughan who sums things up on twitter

Michael Vaughan@MichaelVaughan1 hr

I would have thought a new coach/director would want a full set of players to decide from himself..!!? IMO that would have included @KP24

https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan

Somewhewre along the line someone ought to tell Paul "Nobby" Downton. That the same Captain and Coaching team sitting with him lost 12-1 in competitive matches against the Convict Colony or 44-2 if we used the girls scoring system. yet no-one has fallen on their sword and Flower only left having flounced out of a meeting with Nobby when it was suggested we needed one coach for Test and ODI .

Unbelievable - Nobby would not have put up with this when at Cazenove & Co in the City and as he lives not too far from me I might have a word with my fellow man of Kent if I see him  - politely of course.. Losing 12-1 against the Convicts is not good enough especially for those of us who will shortly be facing a barrage of sledging down there....

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

They were the same coaching team that won the Ashes 3-0 a few months earlier and were the number one Test nation. I, for one, am sad to see Flower go. One disastrous series doesn't make him a bad coach.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

They were the same coaching team that won the Ashes 3-0 a few months earlier and were the number one Test nation. I, for one, am sad to see Flower go. One disastrous series doesn't make him a bad coach.

He did a lot of good things for England - we shouldn't forget that. Mind you, if some of the rumours have a grain of truth, perhaps he wasn't too unhappy to leave by the end.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Everywhere he's ever played Pietersen divides opinion before ultimately ending up with no friends, so I guess it was only a matter of time.

I can't believe Cook is still in charge though, his batting has fallen off a cliff since he took over and his captaincy hasn't been that good either. Apart from the on-field performances just look at what's been done to poor Steven Finn.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

It seems likely that team morale went drastically wrong in the training camp and dressing rooms in Australia. You have to wonder if such a thing contributed to Jonathan Trott's problems.

Look out for some splash articles in the redtops from Kevin Pietersen, Graham Swann and, assuming they are also dismissed, Graham ###### and David Saker.

Personally, I'm glad that KP has gone, though I would have left an opportunity for him to return in 2015.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

The sweary filter has expurgated the surname of England's batting coach!!!

:notme:  :blink:

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,675 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hes not Marmite...he's toast

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Interesting to read in a Guardian article by Mike Selvey that KP's contract with England runs until September 2014, for which he will be paid up in full.

This isn't a case of the EWCB  not renewing Pietersen's contract; it really really wants shut of him.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hes not Marmite...he's toast

The Australians see him as fig jam. Which makes no sense until you realise it they actually mean F.I.G.J.A.M.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,675 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

It has always ended like that,  wherever he has been.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/26041878

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Interesting to read in a Guardian article by Mike Selvey that KP's contract with England runs until September 2014, for which he will be paid up in full.

This isn't a case of the EWCB  not renewing Pietersen's contract; it really really wants shut of him.

He's a silly boy. Somebody this talented and performing well* has really screwed up badly to be forceably retired when he isn't even 35.

* compared to most other English batsmen anyway

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

He's a talented and dangerous player, but one who appears to count 'bridge burning' as a favourite hobby.

Oops... this isn't the Gareth hock thread, is it?

#14 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Way too late in my view.  After the ego trip that was his captaincy, I was astonished they welcomed him back as a player.  Then he undermined Andrew Strauss, a good bloke and a decent captain, with the whole Saffa text message thing and they tripped over themselves to make him happy.  ECB shows a bit of backbone and it is questioned.  Baffling.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#15 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Not a surprise.  They didn't just lose the Ashes, they lubed up the urn, dropped their trousers, turned round and begged the Aussies to ram it up there hard and fast.

Personally, I think the honourable thing for many of them to do would have been to resign.   Cook certainly should have offered to fall on his sword.  

That's me.  I'm done.

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

It seems likely that team morale went drastically wrong in the training camp and dressing rooms in Australia.

I have some interesting rumours from some acquaintances in in the county game about what some England players are reporting back to their county colleagues.

There's no question that things went drastically wrong in the dressing room.

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26052739

Look at the numbers. One that is missing is that Pietersen has 10 MoM awards, only Botham with 12 had more.

And yet when time was called on his career at 33, everybody has said "Okay fair enough" and there is no big protest about it.

It just shows what an absolute @@@@, he is.

Such a career and yet very few people (bar Vawny) prepared to speak up for him.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Piers "Morgan" Moron has publicly sided with KP. So that's my mind made up, then!

#19 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Piers "Morgan" Moron has publicly sided with KP. So that's my mind made up, then!

Piers "Countryside" Morgan is not a good person to have on your team!

If you don't know what that nickname refers to, it's what Stephen Fry defined as "the act of killing Piers Morgan"

English cricket has descended into a basket case - the cracks were showing last summer and nobody did anything about it. They all patted each other on the back, p*ssed on the pitch at the Oval and carried on. Well they got their just reward in Australia. Some great players have ended their England careers on a very sour note. Without knowing exactly what happened and who said what when, the decision to axe KP and keep Cook before you appoint a new coach/manager is bizarre. Look what Lehmann managed to do with Australia - Clarke, Haddin, Johnson and Watson are not exactly the nicest bunch in the world and the Aussies had a bit of previous in destroying their own team morale. I can only think that Cook has had enough of it - I know from my own experience at work that there comes a point where, no matter how good somebody is or how valuable they see themselves, they have to go for the greater good.

Vaughan's idea of bringing in an experienced guy for 18 months to steady the ship while the long term plan is devised and activated is an excellent one. There are some terrific young players out there - they now need nurturing in a positive environment where everyone plays for each other.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Piers "Countryside" Morgan is not a good person to have on your team!

If you don't know what that nickname refers to, it's what Stephen Fry defined as "the act of killing Piers Morgan"

English cricket has descended into a basket case - the cracks were showing last summer and nobody did anything about it. They all patted each other on the back, p*ssed on the pitch at the Oval and carried on. Well they got their just reward in Australia. Some great players have ended their England careers on a very sour note. Without knowing exactly what happened and who said what when, the decision to axe KP and keep Cook before you appoint a new coach/manager is bizarre. Look what Lehmann managed to do with Australia - Clarke, Haddin, Johnson and Watson are not exactly the nicest bunch in the world and the Aussies had a bit of previous in destroying their own team morale. I can only think that Cook has had enough of it - I know from my own experience at work that there comes a point where, no matter how good somebody is or how valuable they see themselves, they have to go for the greater good.

Vaughan's idea of bringing in an experienced guy for 18 months to steady the ship while the long term plan is devised and activated is an excellent one. There are some terrific young players out there - they now need nurturing in a positive environment where everyone plays for each other.

Fair enough, but who is that 'experienced guy'? Cook's still there cos there's no-one else.

My 2p worth is that is KP has got the flick then fair enough, he surely deserved it for being such a d ick. But it's also a massive admission of failure by all the management that they were unable to harness the talent of what's still their best player.

Roobish.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users