Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldest thing in regular use

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,076 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Around 1974, so some 40 years ago, whilst on site at  Laporte Industries titanium dioxide plant at Immingham, I acquired some steel toecapped safety wellingtons.  I still have them and they are in regular use. 

What is your oldest item still in regular use?  No, not  that part of your body!  :O  :O

( I have decided not to mention the yard brush, still as new,  passed down from my great grandfather that has lasted for over 130 years, with only six new handles and seven brush heads in all that time)

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

We have a vacuum cleaner - I think it's a carpet cleaning one - that is still in use for DIY stuff. It's grey and grey and looks like a stone age Henry the Hoover.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

We have had the same biscuit tin for the last 24 years though the biscuits that go in it last less than a week.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

I have a bowl with my name on it that my parents bought me when I was a small ginger.  It is the perfect size for measuring child and adult portions of pasta, soup etc.  It therefore gets used virtually every day and turns 30 next year.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Around 1974, so some 40 years ago, whilst on site at  Laporte Industries titanium dioxide plant at Immingham, I acquired some steel toecapped safety wellingtons.  I still have them and they are in regular use. 

What is your oldest item still in regular use?  No, not  that part of your body!  :O  :O

( I have decided not to mention the yard brush, still as new,  passed down from my great grandfather that has lasted for over 130 years, with only six new handles and seven brush heads in all that time)

My parents recently discarded pots and myself bedlinien.  Both o these things were wedding presents to them and their 40th annniversary is coming up soon.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

I have a garden hoe that I bought 35 years ago and brought it home on the crossbar of my bicycle when coming back from work. Also, I have a plastic container full to the brim with nails, screws, bolts, washers etc. Some go back 50 years but still come in useful from time to time. 

I suppose my oldest thing is my grandfather clock dating back to the mid-18th century. My house dates back to 1791. Good topic, John.

#7 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

I had a bottle of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" that dated back to 1998, but my wife threw it out when we moved in December :(

We also have a humane wasp/bee trap, bought from Betterware god knows how many years ago.  You catch the insect a trap door falls and you can release it unharmed.

Edited by Trojan, 05 February 2014 - 08:22 AM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

We have a clothes airer that used to belong to my grandma and must be at least 40 years old. It is still the best design I've ever seen, with a set of radial arms that fold back into a central tube and the legs fold back in to make a very small tube to store away when not in use.

Edit to add: this is the beast

Edited by Griff9of13, 05 February 2014 - 08:35 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

I have a Spiderman pillow case from when I was a little boy (sadly the duvet cover is no longer with us) that I handed down to my little boy. This pillow case is nearly 40 years old and he was thrilled with it.

My wife was browsing on eBay last night and was rather taken by an 'antique computer desk' - I didn't have the heart to explain it to her (it was a pine cupboard with a pull out keyboard shelf, quite possibly designed by Ikea).

28m391z.jpg

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,449 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I had a big clear-out when I last moved, but I still have a sculpting tool an artist gave me, which is a really useful all-purpose scraping/poking/cutting gadget. I was given it about 30 years ago, and it was pretty well-used by then. 

I also have an antique Kukri, but it's not actually used for anything, just decorative.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,088 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

I regularly play my 1971 jukebox.

I still use a Black and Decker drill that I bought in the 1970's and some of my Dad's old tools. I keep one of my grandfather's old chisels in the toolbox in my van and fairly regularly use it. It has his initials that were burned into it with a welding torch.

I am currently typing this from my Nan's old table and have her (re-covered) old horsehair chairs in my front room ... all from the 1920's.

I collect and use old plates and I would guess that most of the ones I generally eat my meals off would be from the 1950's.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

My parents recently discarded pots and myself bedlinien.  Both o these things were wedding presents to them and their 40th annniversary is coming up soon.

My mum's got a La Creuset casserole dish that's from a similar time frame. Still uses it all the time.

My dad's got all sorts of tools inherited from his dad, plus an ancient set of golf clubs and some wooden skis.

I've got my great-granddad's pocket watch, still in good working order. But I only use it when I'm feeling particularly foppish.

Edited by nadera78, 05 February 2014 - 10:13 AM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#13 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

We have some furniture that was made by my great-great uncle just after the First World War.

That's me.  I'm done.

#14 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

My wallet's over forty years old.

Old Frightful will be along shortly to explain how it's lasted so long.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#15 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

A barometer won by my mother and father in a ballroom dancing competition at the Middleton Arms in Leeds in the late 1930's. I've also acquired my dad's habit of giving it a tap whenever I walk past. It's still very accurate.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

I have a Texas Scientific Calculator that dates back to 1976, don't use it regularly these days but when you need to do sums it comes in.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 johnmatrix

johnmatrix
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

a pair of binoculars that my grandfather left us that used to belong on a german u boat, we use em to look at the wildlife out the back of the garden

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

We have a bone handled small kitchen knife, great for peeling, that was Sharon's Grandfathers, we've had it for 35 years at least and it was old when Sharon inherited it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

I have this from my wife's father, bought new in 1952, still works mostly!

Norton-birthday-colour.jpg

SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

I have this from my wife's father, bought new in 1952, still works mostly!

Norton-birthday-colour.jpg

That's a nicely processed picture. :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users