Rugby League no longer on telegraph main page

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

Sorry if covered before but I notice rugby league is no longer on the main Telegraph sport's page but UFC is!

if this is the case, it is a disgrace that such a proud sport with over 100 years of history has been banished to other sports'.

Can anyone confirm if this is for outside UK readers??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/

#2 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Yes, it's gone.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

From memory, the Telegraph did some excellent writing about the game during the RLWC.

Anyone tempted to fire up the green crayon might at least like to praise them for that.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

From memory, the Telegraph did some excellent writing about the game during the RLWC.

Anyone tempted to fire up the green crayon might at least like to praise them for that.

All the more puzzling our sport has gone from the main page and UFC is there. Does UFC attract more spectators than SL? More sponsorship? More TV viewers? Would be interested to know. This is nothing but a disgrace. It makes a mockery that SL doesn't quite fit (the excuses) the demographics of readership, TV viewers etc etc that's trotted out all the time.

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

The print media's website relationship with rugby league is a strange one.  A quick look at the broadsheets:  I noticed yesterday that the Indy had put rugby league back on its top bar on its sports section, after a few years off, but the latest article was 17th January (still is).  The Guardian still has RL on its sports bar and publishes a few articles.  I've no idea what the Times does behind their paywall...

Then there's the Telegraph, it looks like they've had to drop one headline sport for the RU 6N and someone's decided to just arbitrarily cut rugby league despite the Telegraph being the most prolific of rugby league article media sites, why not drop the football World Cup headline for the 6 weeks of the 6N or even golf considering we're smack in the middle of the off-season?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

And they've even written something nice about us

- Severus, July 2012

#7 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

The print media's website relationship with rugby league is a strange one.  A quick look at the broadsheets:  I noticed yesterday that the Indy had put rugby league back on its top bar on its sports section, after a few years off, but the latest article was 17th January (still is).  The Guardian still has RL on its sports bar and publishes a few articles.  I've no idea what the Times does behind their paywall...

Then there's the Telegraph, it looks like they've had to drop one headline sport for the RU 6N and someone's decided to just arbitrarily cut rugby league despite the Telegraph being the most prolific of rugby league article media sites, why not drop the football World Cup headline for the 6 weeks of the 6N or even golf considering we're smack in the middle of the off-season?

The Guardian seems to have three times more articles on Aussie RL than on British. I know they're keen on both the US and Australian markets but it's getting a bit silly tbh.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

The Guardian seems to have three times more articles on Aussie RL than on British. I know they're keen on both the US and Australian markets but it's getting a bit silly tbh.

Their Australian sporting stuff got good last season.  Good coverage of A-League and AFL as well.

Tis frustrating to see what they can do when bothered.

- Severus, July 2012

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

They have an Australian edition, so the NRL coverage will be shared by both papers.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

That's ridiculous. I feel bad for cycling, boxing and F1, too. I am a fan of UFC but it is nowhere near as important as those and RL.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#11 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I had to google UFC to know what it is...

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

That's pretty good, from one of the journalists who contributed much over the RWC. She even mentions the pineapple ring incident!  :biggrin: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

That's pretty good, from one of the journalists who contributed much over the RWC. She even mentions the pineapple ring incident!  :biggrin:

I also spotted this Telegraph article from today: Rugby League: seven fitness tips from the world’s toughest sport.

#14 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Well worth a read

Rugby League: seven fitness tips from the world’s toughest sport

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Yes. :P 

#16 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

All the more puzzling our sport has gone from the main page and UFC is there. Does UFC attract more spectators than SL? More sponsorship? More TV viewers? Would be interested to know. This is nothing but a disgrace. It makes a mockery that SL doesn't quite fit (the excuses) the demographics of readership, TV viewers etc etc that's trotted out all the time.

It is baffling that anybody would consider it a disgrace. The DTs own stats showed little interest in RL despite it's increased coverage and since it did beef up it's coverage interest has been waning. 

How does it make a mockery that SL does not fit the demographics of the readership ? All the known indicators suggest for the Telegraph, SL commands very little interest. There are sports much more important to the DT readerships that is not on the main page.

#17 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Sadly Yes UFC is bigger than RL right now, bigger tv and ppv deal, lower overheads. Its like boxing was 40 years ago. Very popular.

#18 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Care to share?

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

They're launching a new website, and the "Alpha" release lists Football, Cricket, Tennis, Rugby Union, Cycling and US Sports in the sports section.

Hopefully this will change.

The new site looks very pretty though.   They have a seriously good design team at the Guardian.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Utah Fried Chicken?

I've seen a few articles about UFC in the Torygraph and advertising also. They seem keen on it for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users