Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League no longer on telegraph main page

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,883 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Utah Fried Chicken?

I've seen a few articles about UFC in the Torygraph and advertising also. They seem keen on it for some reason.

A few years ago, it had a big growth in interest and coverage, and much was talked about it overtaking boxing in popularity. I don't know if it has kept on growing, found its level or dropped back. 

I've occasionally tried watching it, but the programmes seem to be 80% chitchat, 20% action and lots of ad breaks. And it's usually on late, so I sometimes doze off before anything happens.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Sadly Yes UFC is bigger than RL right now, bigger tv and ppv deal, lower overheads. Its like boxing was 40 years ago. Very popular.

figures?

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#23 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have no idea about this UFC lark but here's something I found on t'web about it's UK TV figures in 2012:

UFC 146 - 45k
UFC 145 - 67k
UFC 144 - ratings unavailable
UFC 143 - 88k
UFC 142 - 39k (listed as UFC 140 but on 142's date - looks like typo)
UFC 141 - 50k
UFC 140 - 80k
UFC 139 - 36k
UFC 138 - 100k
UFC 137 - 62k ... TUF also got 66k this week
UFC 136 - 50k
UFC 135 - 43k
UFC 134 - 69k

I must confess that I've only ever had one person ever mention it to me. I was only two 40 years ago but I can tell you boxing was a lot bigger than that!

#24 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

A few years ago, it had a big growth in interest and coverage, and much was talked about it overtaking boxing in popularity. I don't know if it has kept on growing, found its level or dropped back. 

I've occasionally tried watching it, but the programmes seem to be 80% chitchat, 20% action and lots of ad breaks. And it's usually on late, so I sometimes doze off before anything happens.

Without wanting to sound like an old man, it was a lot better in the old days. These days all of the fighters have a genuinely mixed training regime dominated by wrestling and ju jitsu, but also including various other styles depending on their background. In the early 90's, when UFC videos were doing the rounds and it was banned in almost every state in the US, you had a wider variety of fighters. So you'd get a boxer against a judoka or muay thai versus a wrestler, etc. It was a lot more interesting IMO because of that mix. It was the dominance of Royce Gracie that got everyone into Brazilian Ju Jitsu and that trend changed the dynamic of the fights. Now, because they mostly have similar backgrounds, there is a lot less variety in styles and the fights can become a little familiar.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,883 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Without wanting to sound like an old man, it was a lot better in the old days. These days all of the fighters have a genuinely mixed training regime dominated by wrestling and ju jitsu, but also including various other styles depending on their background. In the early 90's, when UFC videos were doing the rounds and it was banned in almost every state in the US, you had a wider variety of fighters. So you'd get a boxer against a judoka or muay thai versus a wrestler, etc. It was a lot more interesting IMO because of that mix. It was the dominance of Royce Gracie that got everyone into Brazilian Ju Jitsu and that trend changed the dynamic of the fights. Now, because they mostly have similar backgrounds, there is a lot less variety in styles and the fights can become a little familiar.

I have seen a few fights from that earlier era, and it was more interesting, for the reasons you state.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

I think we've drifted a bit off topic here.

Any Other Sports discussion here, thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com