Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hock slams 'coward' McNamara

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

To get respect you have to earn it.

What does Hock think he did to get some.

Very good point.

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#22 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

It surely can't be that hard to not drink for six weeks. I agree with you, if he isn't willing to make the sacrifice he doesn't deserve a spot in the squad.

It's not; unless you are mentally weak and lack common sense.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#23 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

What's that?  A player who wanted a drink so badly he was prepared to ruin his chances of playing for England now says he won't play for England?

Ah well.  Shall we pour you another?

He won't be missed at international level.

#24 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

I believe that the two incidents where players went out for a drink and the way the coach dealt with them showed that there was a lack of respect for the coach throughout the squad.    I couldn't see this being the problem it became under say, Shaun Wane or Paul Anderson who I'm sure would have dealt with it quietly in camp.    Yes, one or two players let themselves down by disregarding the no drinking condition and they have to live with it but the coach shouldn't walk away from it looking all "lilywhite" because he handled it very poorly IMO.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#25 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

To get respect you have to earn it.

What does Hock think he did to get some.

In fairness, he did introduce an entirely new word into the English language....I'm sure its only a matter of time before "overlied" is as common as "selfie"......

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,822 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I believe that the two incidents where players went out for a drink and the way the coach dealt with them showed that there was a lack of respect for the coach throughout the squad.    I couldn't see this being the problem it became under say, Shaun Wane or Paul Anderson who I'm sure would have dealt with it quietly in camp.    Yes, one or two players let themselves down by disregarding the no drinking condition and they have to live with it but the coach shouldn't walk away from it looking all "lilywhite" because he handled it very poorly IMO.

As the national coach, there was a lot more media scrutiny on McNamara than there would be on club coaches like Wane or Anderson. Much harder to deal with such things quietly when not just the local press, but the national press scent a story that can be blown up a bit.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

After the way Ferres played in the world cup I doubt any international coach would look at Hock again.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,822 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

After the way Ferres played in the world cup I doubt any international coach would look at Hock again.

Ferres went from not making the cut, straight to a starting place in the team. He took his chance magnificently. 

If Hock ever does want to play for England again, he'll have be good enough to dislodge Ferres.

Edited by Futtocks, 05 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

spot on....ferres was one of our standout performers imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#30 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Reading about Wigan in the late 80s/early 90s, lots of those players were awkward and hated each other. The greats were given far greater leaway than some might consider healthy. The result was the greatest team our game ever saw in the open era. You don't pick Hock without a tailored strategy for dealing with him and considering how the group will blend. Picking him and then failing to deal with him results in the worst of all worlds.

Hock is nowhere near good enough to warrant any kind of special treatment.   And that's that.

PS - off topic, but what is "the open era"? 

That's me.  I'm done.

#31 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

It surely can't be that hard to not drink for six weeks. I agree with you, if he isn't willing to make the sacrifice he doesn't deserve a spot in the squad.

I agree.

Two weeks out from the Olympics, can you imagine Jess Ennis missing a training session because she was out on the sauce the night before?

The sheer amateurism of some of our "professional" athletes takes some beating IMO.

I'm not denying any RL player a drink.   But right before the biggest international tournament in a decade isn't the time.

That's me.  I'm done.

#32 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm not denying any RL player a drink.   But right before the biggest international tournament in a decade isn't the time.

What I can't understand is why the team can't have a couple of bottles and watch a film together in the hotel a couple of times a week.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#33 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I agree, but that said professional athletes about to represent their country should have some self-respect and know how to prepare and behave.

I have no time for McNamara as a coach, but I think Hock was lucky to get a phone call.   If it had been me I'd have checked him out of the hotel while he was still asleep and left him a note telling him to pack his bags and feck off.

That's me.  I'm done.

#34 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

What I can't understand is why the team can't have a couple of bottles and watch a film together in the hotel a couple of times a week.

Do you think Jessica Ennis had a couple of bottles of beer, sleeps in and misses training two days before the Olympics?

I'm more than happy for the players to get screamingly drunk if they want.  At the right time.   But they have a job to do first.  It's basic professionalism and having respect for yourself and your teammates.

That's me.  I'm done.

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Do you think Jessica Ennis had a couple of bottles of beer, sleeps in and misses training two days before the Olympics?

No, she usually trains too hard, breaks some bone and misses the games altogether.

3 bottles of Becks two days before a game never hurt any professional athlete.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

He wouldn't even have had to wait for six weeks. The players had agreed not to drink until after the game against Aus. He didn't have long to wait.

#37 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

3 bottles of Becks two days before a game never hurt any professional athlete.

Unless they get hit with them...

Edited by longboard, 05 February 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#38 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

There are at least 2 issues here,

Hock has to understand he broke the rules and only has himself to blame. He has to live with the consequences.

There are questions about the man management and how the outcomes have been dealt with.Was Hock dealt with fairly and equally to say Hardaker?

In truth we don't know much detail about the two issues, although Hock made some comments about his...

Hock made the observation that he and the other players involved had only a "few" drinks. Now, if he can't get up on time after a "few " drinks  during a World Cup, or even during a regular season,  then he needs to consider not drinking at all. Lightwieght!  :sleep: 

#39 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Fantastic comments from supporters who must be amongst the very few who can last 40 minutes without alcohol passing their lips.

The Australians managed to have a night out drinking alcohol later in the world cup process than England did.

Why the preferential treatment and comments when Hardaker left the camp?

Disgraceful victimization.

If it was for drinking,why were others not thrown to the wolves?

The secret to ending 3rd in a 3 horse race - don't select your best pick someone who wasn't even in the squad.

Only in England...

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#40 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

If it was for drinking,why were others not thrown to the wolves?

It wasn't for drinking, it was for not turning up to training. The other players who had been drinking and turned up to training were dropped for the Australia match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users