Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hock slams 'coward' McNamara

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Fantastic comments from supporters who must be amongst the very few who can last 40 minutes without alcohol passing their lips.

You might want to read your own post signature mate.  It has a lot of truth in it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I'd have got a few Burgesses to tell him.

It's news. Let's not knock it. All publicity...

Interesting to reflect on this the day after KP was "retired" from playing for England. To what extent should allowances be made for potential game changers in a wider group? To end up losing 3 potentially significant squad members and going into the most important game of the decade minus one of our best players suggests to me a failure of man management on McNamara's part. Combined with a total lack of professionalism on the part of the players involved.

Reading about Wigan in the late 80s/early 90s, lots of those players were awkward and hated each other. The greats were given far greater leaway than some might consider healthy. The result was the greatest team our game ever saw in the open era. You don't pick Hock without a tailored strategy for dealing with him and considering how the group will blend. Picking him and then failing to deal with him results in the worst of all worlds.

I'd have got a few Burgesses to tell him.

It's news. Let's not knock it. All publicity...

Interesting to reflect on this the day after KP was "retired" from playing for England. To what extent should allowances be made for potential game changers in a wider group? To end up losing 3 potentially significant squad members and going into the most important game of the decade minus one of our best players suggests to me a failure of man management on McNamara's part. Combined with a total lack of professionalism on the part of the players involved.

Reading about Wigan in the late 80s/early 90s, lots of those players were awkward and hated each other. The greats were given far greater leaway than some might consider healthy. The result was the greatest team our game ever saw in the open era. You don't pick Hock without a tailored strategy for dealing with him and considering how the group will blend. Picking him and then failing to deal with him results in the worst of all worlds.

Sometimes there just isn't much you can do!

Noble had issues on tour just after we had beaten Australia in Sydney with Long and Gleeson.

Tony Smith had issues in the 2008 WC with Saints and Leeds players acting like kids apparently.

McNamara had issues with the 2013 WC squad.

Considering Noble was a former international coach, you think he may have had a bit more support for McNamara, but it is clear the Salford players are following their owner's approach with their disdain for the RFL - Chase and Hock have both shown a complete lack of respect for England RL.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

No, she usually trains too hard, breaks some bone and misses the games altogether.

3 bottles of Becks two days before a game never hurt any professional athlete.

I agree with you, it isn't necessarily required to have a total ban, and I don't believe that was the case. If the management however decide that is what they want, then people need to stick to it.

#44 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,325 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I agree with you, it isn't necessarily required to have a total ban, and I don't believe that was the case. If the management however decide that is what they want, then people need to stick to it.

Indeed, getting too drunk to get up in the morning in your per-tournement training camp is far less required.  Hock's lack of self-awareness is remarkable.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#45 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

What I can't understand is why the team can't have a couple of bottles and watch a film together in the hotel a couple of times a week.

That's fine and later on the coach had that but at that point he asked the players not to.

#46 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

“While Steve McNamara is still there I do not want to be part of the England team. I would not play for him again. I still think it was harsh what happened to me in the World Cup and I don’t think I deserved to be kicked out like that. I will always think that.
“We should not have gone out drinking but it wasn’t me on my own. There were others and I didn’t do anything bad. I’d put a lot of hard work in to get into the England team but the way he handled it made me look really bad."

Is he really that thick?

"It wasn't me on my own."
Err... yes it was. You are the only one that went out drinking AND didn't turn up to training.
Posted Image

#47 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

“While Steve McNamara is still there I do not want to be part of the England team. I would not play for him again. I still think it was harsh what happened to me in the World Cup and I don’t think I deserved to be kicked out like that. I will always think that.
“We should not have gone out drinking but it wasn’t me on my own. There were others and I didn’t do anything bad. I’d put a lot of hard work in to get into the England team but the way he handled it made me look really bad."

Is he really that thick?

"It wasn't me on my own."
Err... yes it was. You are the only one that went out drinking AND didn't turn up to training.

Yes, he must be that thick. Nice of Hock to say that whilst McNamara is in charge he won't be playing for England again. He's absolutely right because McNamara won't be picking him again. I'm waiting for Koukash to make a comment when Hock does something stupid at Salford, which he will.

#48 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

According to McNamara, the players themselves had agreed the rules for the camp and if that was the case then it is even more incredible that Hock is still trying to justify his behaviour.  If you can't buy into your own rules then why bother?  And surely he wasn't simply disrespecting the coach but also his team mates by breaking the rules they had agreed between themselves?

#49 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

You can almost hear the mechanics in Hock's tiny little brain groaning as he thinks of a way to make his own complete balls up not be his fault.  And so much for humility or, God forbid, contrition.

#50 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

And all this say it to my face rubbish.

Like the f*cking playground.

#51 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

To get respect you have to earn it.

What does Hock think he did to get some.

You could say the same for Steve.

#52 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Are we really looking to take a lead from a smack head???

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#53 Barry Badrinath

Barry Badrinath
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I think most people were amazed he was named in the squad, I don't know what his version of working hard is, but he was pretty poor for Widnes last season.

#54 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

I'm still angry at him ruining our world cup chances...we needed him...he let everyone down. Never heard an apology.

#55 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

“While Steve McNamara is still there I do not want to be part of the England team. I would not play for him again."

And here we have a very good reason for McNamara to remain England coach.

#56 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

It surely can't be that hard to not drink for six weeks.

An alcoholic might disagree with you there.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#57 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Indeed, getting too drunk to get up in the morning in your per-tournement training camp is far less required. Hock's lack of self-awareness is remarkable.

There is always an excuse or someone else to blame in Hock's world. It's a never ending cycle and the lack of responsibility for his own actions is arguably the root of all his problems.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#58 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

An alcoholic might disagree with you there.

An alcoholic would struggle for 6 hours.
Posted Image

#59 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

You could say the same for Steve.

Why could you say the same. He didnt step out of line first. Hock only has himself to blame.

#60 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Not at all, I was simply reporting the facts. There is no purposeful angle on it. It is not right to impose your view on others, you tell readers what has happened and let them make up their own mind.

Fair enough, but their are many facts out there that could be reported. Of course not news worthy but a decision is made on the news worth of the story - that immediate means that the choice is made because their is an "angle". That also includes what additional snippets of information that are added to the story otherwise it would just be a sentence.   The choice or non choice of information helps slant a "angle", i.e. could have added the previous behaviours of the player to give the rounded view of that player and hence help the reader in how he makes his mind.

So not imposing your view directly is one thing but deciding what info is given or not given can also colour a view. That is of course the choice of the writer but a story is more than just a fact, which as I say could be written in a sentence.  

Edited by redjonn, 06 February 2014 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users