TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Who's the fastest in our current squad?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Whatever "The Dog's" (didn't he used to be on American Idol) intentions were in his foray on to this forum, he at least succeeded in changing the subject.  Perhaps that's because he can't think of anyone other than John Etty who, good player though he was, couldn't really spoil walking.

So let's put this topic to bed by confirming that THE fastest player EVER on Dewsbury's books was called Geoff Yoward, who was a Powderhall sprinter.

Very nice guy as well.

If only Nigel Stephenson had been half as fast...

Not so fast flattopper. I'd say that Greg Ashcroft, who was in the Welsh commonwealth games sprint squad if memory serves correct, would more than likely have been faster, and I'll bet Eddie Rombo would have run him close. Will say though, he was one of my all time favourites, because he was the first Dewsbury player I saw leave defences for dead. There were a number of powderhall lads playing about that time - I seem to recall a Cumbrian winger who I think was called Murray, and a lad called Eddie McDonagh, both beating Jeff in a sprint at wakey in the early seventies - mind finishing third was no mean feat.

#42 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'm a Batley fan but would have to say Eddie Rombo was one of the fastest wingers I've seen.

I remember watching him play for Morley Rugby Union team for one season. He even managed to make that variety of Rugby exciting.

He was only there for one year but managed to achieve legendary status in that time. One of my all time favourite sporting memories was a game where Morley were losing by 2 points against Leeds with about 5 minutes to go (circa 96). The Leeds Fly Half kicked the ball from his own line. It landed just inside Morley's half. ER picked up the ball, with Scatcherd Lane expecting him to put up a bomb in typical RU fashion. Over the next few seconds, be instead jinked through the entire Leeds pack, outpaced the back line and then rounded the full back to go under the sticks to win the game. One of the best tries I've ever seen in any code of the game. A truly magical sight and something I will never forget.

Edited by Nick07, 15 February 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#43 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'm a Batley fan but would have to say Eddie Rombo was one of the fastest wingers I've seen.

I remember watching him play for Morley Rugby Union team for one season. He even managed to make that variety of Rugby exciting.

He was only there for one year but managed to achieve legendary status in that time. One of my all time favourite sporting memories was a game where Morley were losing by 2 points against Leeds with about 5 minutes to go (circa 96). The Leeds Fly Half kicked the ball from his own line. It landed just inside Morley's half. ER picked up the ball, with Scatcherd Lane expecting him to put up a bomb in typical RU fashion. Over the next few seconds, be instead jinked through the entire Leeds pack, outpaced the back line and then rounded the full back to go under the sticks to win the game. One of the best tries I've ever seen in any code of the game. A truly magical sight and something I will never forget.

Nick, if you think that's his best, you should been have at Scarborough for his two entirely different types of try, or the one at Hunslet.

Edited by Crown Flatter, 15 February 2014 - 09:02 PM.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users