TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Qualifications

Who?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I brought this person up before on another thread

Top Aussie sports analyst Ben Darwin, who won 28 caps for the Wallabies, has expressed his concerns over Reds’ recruitment policy.

Then he came up again the MEN online and some other national papers!

And I thought What's his qualification for speaking on these issues and it reminded of Bill Beaumont being asked how to play the Kangaroos.

Really? You once passed a Rugby League Stadium on a bus! Well that's good enough for me!

Next week a boxing trainer criticises synchronised swimming!

Edited by Oxford, 06 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

28 caps for the Wallabies and criticising the Reds? Seems like he's more than capable having 28 international caps in the sport he's criticising.

I'm confused here

Edit: do you mean Salford? I was thinking Queensland

Edited by welshmagpie, 06 February 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#3 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

I brought this person up before on another thread

Top Aussie sports analyst Ben Darwin, who won 28 caps for the Wallabies, has expressed his concerns over Reds’ recruitment policy.

Then he came up again the MEN online and some other national papers!

And I thought What's his qualification for speaking on these issues and it reminded of Bill Beaumont being asked how to play the Kangaroos.

Really? You once passed a Rugby League Stadium on a bus! Well that's good enough for me!

Next week a boxing trainer criticises synchronised swimming!

No more qualified than most on here who pass comment.  Journalists need to fill their newspapers and their online content on a daily basis and many naff stories are required to bulk these publications up.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#4 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Welsh Magpie I think it was Salford!

Bob8 Filling their columns is one thing being in any way qualified to do so another.

I also referred the beeb asking Bill Beaumont about how to beat the Aussies, I think it was the 1986 tourists! When you think about the quality in that side just how many people would have any clue,idea etc etc Even if its just a case of journalism it should be a rugby league journalist with a bit of experience of the sport!

I have another related question do you know of any RL player/coach ( not the dual sport people ) who've been asked to give their opinion on how to beat the all blacks or the Washington Redskins? 

And as for your point " No more qualified than most on here who pass comment" there is a vast difference between a post on an issue you feel strongly about and purporting to have knowledge, understanding and insight far beyond the reality' If a product was sold to you on that basis you'd have every right look at the trade descriptions act!

I do believe a lot of this kind of idea is based around the notion that RL and ru are similar.

Edited by Oxford, 06 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#5 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

If it is based on this article

http://www.runningru...ix-says-darwin/

His qualifications are described:

"Darwin, who played 28 times at prop for The Wallabies, is now a recruitment consultant and director of Gain Line, based in Melbourne. 

“We monitor how clubs across all the major professional rugby competitions recruit their playing staff and how that affects their on-pitch performance,” he explains. “We look at consistency in recruitment strategy, the value of recruitment versus retention, the age of new players coming in and whether they have a history of playing with other key members of the team and so on. We’ve entered data as far back as 20 years ago and we can identify some key trends that will help clubs who have a long-term outlook.”"

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#6 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

If it is based on this article

http://www.runningru...ix-says-darwin/

His qualifications are described:

"Darwin, who played 28 times at prop for The Wallabies, is now a recruitment consultant and director of Gain Line, based in Melbourne. 

“We monitor how clubs across all the major professional rugby competitions recruit their playing staff and how that affects their on-pitch performance,” he explains. “We look at consistency in recruitment strategy, the value of recruitment versus retention, the age of new players coming in and whether they have a history of playing with other key members of the team and so on. We’ve entered data as far back as 20 years ago and we can identify some key trends that will help clubs who have a long-term outlook.”"

So that's clear then. It's a really worthwhile opinion, demonstrating such a depth of knowledge. Gosh! I so admire Recruitment Consultants and, indeed Management Consultants - well Consultants of all kind. (I think they merit capital letters). How I wish there were more of them.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

It was rather the point of Moneyball that baseball insiders made systematic errors when evaluating players as their experience as players didn't help them to analyse the game.

Moneyball was written by a non-player with a background in statistics.

#8 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Baseball lends itself to this kind of analysis. It may be a team game but the player's performance is much easier isolated than in most of the bigger team sports. Each play starts the same, pitcher pitches, analyst notes what kind of pitch and where on the plate it goes. Then you see if and where it was hit. So it is nicely structured to capture exactly what has happened. This is not quite so easy in a more fluid sport such as ours.

There's plenty of stats linked to the other two big leagues over there (NBA/NFL) but you don't hear quite so much about how those sports have been revolutionised. That's not to say statistical analysis is not used and is a load of bunk, It's just not maybe quite as useful. Sydney Roosters were considered to have a pretty mixed (but very talented) bunch of characters over in Oz last year. This didn't stop them coming together as a team and winning both the minor and major premierships. 

Talking of analysis though, one of my pet hates was the stats on Sky where they used to say a player averages 1 handling error per game. No mention of if this was 0.51 or 1.49 errors. They would just round up to the nearest whole number. Also there was never a link to how many carries they had or minutes played. So if a player A has 10 carries and 1 error and player B has 1 carry and 1 error, they were both considered to be equally error prone.

That might have been improved in recent times but I didn't catch many Sky games last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users