RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League 2014: team-by-team guide

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Apology accepted, thanks for taking the time and realising you were wrong

Deary me.

#22 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

As much as I was annoyed about the friendly loss to Wigan that one has pretty much disappeared from memory already ahead of Thursday. You can't read too much into these preseason games.

I am a little concerned about our backline, but that's only because it's uncertain how the youngsters will kick on and handle the added responsibility. At least we've freshened things up there though, and this setup is a lot more exciting than it's been sticking with the tried and tested for the last few years. Brown, if nothing else, does have a strong record of developing young backs into quality players, and those with the starting numbers on their backs have shown plenty of potential so far (as has Mark Percival).

The lack of a standoff remains by far the biggest issue for us, and Gary Wheeler will apparently get the first crack at it in what will surely be his last opportunity at the club. I'm reasonably happy about that because even though he has it all to prove at least he is a natural fit there. His track record suggests he probably won't last there for long but I'll remain optimistic for now.

Agree with JB that feeling the need to stick with Wellens and Hohaia might hinder us somewhat. I'm happy with Wellens as a depth player to add some experience, but he certainly shouldn't be in the first 17 when everyone is fit.

I think that team by team guide is pretty good for the most part, I'd probably swap the Hull sides around though. I considered Dobson to be amongst the top 7s in the league, and though I do like what I've seen of Keating in the past he has big shoes to fill. I don't believe Leeds will top the table either, but only because we know from experience that they don't tend to treat that as a priority (and have been proved right not to do so). I would make them favourites to win at Old Trafford though as I believe that their consistency in doing so makes them the most sensible pick.

#23 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

It's a reasonable article with nothing to strongly disagree with in the text.  The predictions are a bit out of sync for me though.  I can't see the Rhinos getting the hub cap but I can see them taking the GF.  The Giants seem to be continually under-rated by everyone yet the team and performances are there for all to see, and I for one would expect them to reach OT this year.  They've also got the Dragons coming in in ninth, and I really can't believe they'll drop out of the eight.

Further down, like someone else said, I see FC finishing in front of Rovers if simply because of Dobson leaving.  They've been a bit like Cas recently in that they were getting on for being a bit of a one man team, and when that man goes you just can't replace him without major organisational changes elsewhere. That means disruption so I think they will be up and down all year, and especially so if Burns can't keep himself under control.

As for us, well who knows, I think we'll be middish table depending on who else we lose and points deduction, but take some scalps along the way.  So long as we get to September intact and in SL ready to have a full deck for 2015 then that'll do for me, with maybe a cheeky cup run thrown in to keep the spirits up.  One thing's for sure, it's never boring at Odsal.

• Amber Avenger likes this
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#24 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

castleford 8th??? he must be on mind altering drugs.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#25 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

i think wire will finally break their duck this season and win the GF.........

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,528 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

i think wire will finally break their duck this season and win the GF.........

I think there are a few questions to be answered by Wire this year.

Can Ratchford step up and become a real key player?

Will our kicking game be good enough?

Will the younger lads provide the enthusiasm that the older heads struggled with at times?

Plus the standard questions about injuries that all clubs have to deal with!

I think it will be an exciting season for Wire, one way or another, I'd have liked a refresh at centre, as Bridge is not getting any younger and has a few injuries, but I am looking forward to seeing some pace at 1, 6 and 7.

I think this could be a very big year for Grix too. He has been excellent for the last year or two and if he can just stay at 13 he could have a big say in the title race.

• 1976PMJwires likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users