Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford squad analysed using 'moneyball' stats-type technique

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

This just landed in my inbox. This guy analyses squad make-ups (players/types/ages etc) and non-playing criteria to calculate their on-field potential. His view on Salford is interesting...

http://www.runningru...ix-says-darwin/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#2 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Note You have to be registered to read the above article,

this link has come up on another forum . but basically his synopsis is there are too many 'individuals'   in the squad and  not enough team players and the level of squad change is such it's going to be difficult to get them to gel?...

Basically Koukash - Noble have wasted their money on the ' wrong trousers Grommet '

If this level of prediction had come from say a Wayne Bennett or a Brian Smith I'd have given it more credence , but no it's come from a Ex Wallaby , whose key tactical experience is a RU video analyst Scrummage & Forwards coach.

and as we know RL is awash with RU coaches , and not the other way around ... 

most of what is said is plainly obvious that anybody in a Wigan Pub would come to the same conclusion .. with 14 new signings and 'Characters' such as Chase & Hock ' that it could all well end up in  disaster  

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I haven't read it yet but it's nice to come across some writing that appears to go into a bit more depth rather than the, "Oh, I don't know, sixth?" that characterises a lot of what passes for predictions at this time of year.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hokum. Pure hokum. As previously stated, anybody with a sky subscription and a passing interest in the game could've come up with that 'analysis.'

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Can't read it.

Is he going to do all SL clubs?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,926 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

This has already been discussed elsewhere on here.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Yawn !

#8 Gansons Optician

Gansons Optician
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

I have no idea what money ball is but know Phil Clarke likes to mention it!

#9 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Isn't 'money ball' the term that Stevo uses for 'cutout pass'?

#10 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I have no idea what money ball is but know Phil Clarke likes to mention it!

Moneyball is a squad building technique , used by a Baseball coach ' Billy Beane ' for build a value baseball team ' Oakland A's '  that could beat the bigger teams based on pure statistical analysis . not on the perceived wisdom of coaches.

It almost worked , and they wrote a book & made a film about it .

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

The moneyball system really only works for the first team to do it. Once everyone tries it then it becomes redundant and a new system is needed.

#12 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Moneyball is a squad building technique , used by a Baseball coach ' Billy Beane ' for build a value baseball team ' Oakland A's '  that could beat the bigger teams based on pure statistical analysis . not on the perceived wisdom of coaches.

It almost worked , and they wrote a book & made a film about it .

****SPOILER ALERT****

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

The moneyball system really only works for the first team to do it. Once everyone tries it then it becomes redundant and a new system is needed.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. Some teams will inevitably be better at it than others. Some dinosaurs will refuse to use it for quite some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users