Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CRUNCH TIME

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Seems DR Koukash has stated that he will withdraw his interest in the Lions if he doesn't hear from Salford Council by a week tomorrow according to a thread on the Lions family page.

#2 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

And if he doesn't hear is that it? The end? We don't start the season?

At least we'll know whether the council's concern has been sincere. And they've not just been playing to a gallery. They are politicians at the end of the day. Ever mindful of how they might be perceived by joe public.

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

I think they darent say no !

#4 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I for one fully agree with what Dr Koukash has said.It is high time for Salford Council to show their hand and state publically ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IF they support his plans or not.If they do support his plans,they should fight for them and do everything within the law to bring them to fruition ASAP,and yes I accept that they have to follow rules to the letter in order to win the good fight.And if they don't support his plans say so publically and why.As I said a few times,if they don't support his plans,that land will go to rack and ruin and will probably end up being a druggie haunt where the smackrats snort their coke or shoot heroin up their veins,and right on the doorstep of the Town Hall,do they REALLY want that?

I think(certainly hope)that Mark is right and Salford Council daren't say NO.The ball is now in their court.

#5 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Its a Rotten Borough dominated by cast iron safe seats, thus they're all far more interested in the career politics agenda than worrying about how they are perceived by the public. Truth is, any chimp wearing a Labour rosette would win 90% of the seats within the City. There's no meaningful opposition. Its highly doubtful any councillor will truly believe their seat is under threat if the answer to Dr Koukash doesn't measure up.

Their line will be that its all central government's fault, I strongly suspect.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#6 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

To be fair doesn't look like the local authority have much say over planning.Just read on Counc Antrobus Twitter feed that central government have overturned Salford Councils decision to refuse permission for 100 new homes on green belt land at Boothstown.The homes will now be built against the wishes of the local community.

#7 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Unfortunately Mark they dare and will.Salford council are all wind and p###. Prove me wrong Salford councillors do the right thing and bring back the Lions to there rightful home.

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

I think they'll say yes
I don't think calling them names will help our cause and it doesn't matter if they're labour conservative or monster raving loony
WE NEED THESE PEOPLE ON SIDE.
Save the damnation till they've said no.

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

Point is, is it time to get the banners and placards out, picket the town hall and at least vent our valid feelings towards those who should now be finally backing the club after idly watching from the sidelines as we drifted in the wilderness for more than two decades? After all, didn't the pinks' fans do much the same when they were pursuing their move to Barton some years back? I for one am sick of waiting and I suspect most other fans are too. We MUST do SOMETHING. We've all written our letters to certain councillors, some of which were never even acknowledged.

If any elements of Salford Council are reading this, may I politely suggest you finally GET YOUR FINGERS OUT and do the right thing for once in your lives, or God help you and the rest of us.

:tease:

#10 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

I think they'll say yes
I don't think calling them names will help our cause and it doesn't matter if they're labour conservative or monster raving loony
WE NEED THESE PEOPLE ON SIDE.
Save the damnation till they've said no.

IF they have sense,they will say yes,but in my opinion sense and Salford Council are not words that go together.

#11 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Its a Rotten Borough dominated by cast iron safe seats, thus they're all far more interested in the career politics agenda than worrying about how they are perceived by the public. Truth is, any chimp wearing a Labour rosette would win 90% of the seats within the City. There's no meaningful opposition. Its highly doubtful any councillor will truly believe their seat is under threat if the answer to Dr Koukash doesn't measure up.

Their line will be that its all central government's fault, I strongly suspect
Salford Council ALWAYS blames central government,and yes I fully support your comments about the borough,and I for one am ashamed to death of the fact that I was born in Salford because of the attiudes of this rotten to the core council.I should have been born at St Mary's instead but it was a bit too far from Boothstown.

#12 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

I was responsible for sending the tweet into bbc manc, I feel that the council needed to be pressed on the issue as they have a record of procrastination.  I honestly cannot think of a valid reason that they could say no but as other people have said they have absolutely no interest in what is right for the area you only have to look at the surrounding area around the town centre for evidence of that.  I will be very very surprised if they say yes to Dr Koukash, they probably would agree to it if it didn't involve us though.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#13 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

If I had to put my money on whether or not Salford Council will back Dr Koukash or not,I am afraid I would have to bet that they will say a resounding NO.I do not think that Salford City Council give a damn about Swinton RLFC or indeed Swinton itself as their agenda is to put one over Manchester at all times.I agree with Tim I see no reason as to why they could say no,I see no harm in a stadium holding 3 or 4 thousand being built(yes something would have to be done regarding parking etc,but that can be sorted out)I think that common sense should see these proposals being backed,but we all know that the words common sense and Salford Council do not go well together.I honestly think that Dr Koukash will carry out his threat and will walk away,and if that is the case then I for one would not blame him at all.I hope I am proved wrong.I want to be proved wrong.

#14 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I think the Council are missing a trick if they can’t see the economic potential of getting the Lions back into the town centre. I can think of two fairly local town’s of a similar nature to Swinton - Prestwich and Chorlton that are bucking the national trend with town centres that seem to thrive. So it can be done despite the general picture. They no doubt have assets they’ve made work for them and Swinton has an asset all of its own-one of the oldest rugby and sporting clubs in the WORLD. With a bucket load of history and tradition. It wouldn’t be a cure all but just dobbing supermarkets on town centres is never going to be the only answer. On their own they’re just tomorrow's version of today’s run down precinct. It’s going take a combination of initatives. The original cricket club from whence the Lions grew must have been one of the oldest in the region but they’ve disappeared into the history books. That’s what can happen - a bit of our local sporting fabric lost forever.   MAKE YOUR HERITAGE WORK FOR YOU while you’ve still got it (just) .

Just a genuine statement of POSITIVE INTENT would be massive. It would encourage other potential investors if MK can’t take it any further. Sometimes i think this council sit back and bask in all the plaudits for Salford Quays ( well merited) but seem oblivious to the fact everywhere else is going to wrack and ruin. 

#15 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think the Council are missing a trick if they can’t see the economic potential of getting the Lions back into the town centre. I can think of two fairly local town’s of a similar nature to Swinton - Prestwich and Chorlton that are bucking the national trend with town centres that seem to thrive. So it can be done despite the general picture. They no doubt have assets they’ve made work for them and Swinton has an asset all of its own-one of the oldest rugby and sporting clubs in the WORLD. With a bucket load of history and tradition. It wouldn’t be a cure all but just dobbing supermarkets on town centres is never going to be the only answer. On their own they’re just tomorrow's version of today’s run down precinct. It’s going take a combination of initatives. The original cricket club from whence the Lions grew must have been one of the oldest in the region but they’ve disappeared into the history books. That’s what can happen - a bit of our local sporting fabric lost forever.   MAKE YOUR HERITAGE WORK FOR YOU while you’ve still got it (just) .
Just a genuine statement of POSITIVE INTENT would be massive. It would encourage other potential investors if MK can’t take it any further. Sometimes i think this council sit back and bask in all the plaudits for Salford Quays ( well merited) but seem oblivious to the fact everywhere else is going to wrack and ruin. 

I don't think this council frankly know or understand the meaning of economics.All they are interested in is getting one over Manchester.They simply do not care about places like Swinton,I think that Swinton RLFC can forget about Dr Koukash taking over and implementing his wonderful,ambitious plans for the club and the town,it is NOT the fault of Swinton RLFC and the new board,whom I wish the very best of luck to,it WILL be the fault of Salford Council for not backing Dr Koukash,a man who WANTS to invest in not only Swinton RLFC but the area as well,and to be frank and blunt if as I suspect this is the case,then maybe we as Swintonians will actually get what we frankly deserve thanks to the attiudes of the majority of those who do vote by blindly voting in Labour councillors time after time,regardless of what they do.

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

And there was me thinking all Lions fans MUST be optimists.....

#17 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

I'm an optimist. Pop round tomorrow and I'll measure you up for a new pair of glasses!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Can I have one lens rose tinted the other the opposite? Please

#19 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

The only thing Salford Council can do properly and in great abundance is to paste             

IN Salford anywhere and everywhere it can.

I'd absolutely love it if some brave local 'freedom fighter' fought back plastering an alternative slogan around S&P. And that slogan is.

IN Swinton & Pendlebury (IN Clifton too)

:yahoo:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 08 February 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#20 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Is it STILL so difficult to understand. By slagging off Salford councillors on this site you are just damaging the campaign not assisting it. You may have strong feelings and that is your right but if you approached your Dad and said "buy me a new bike you tight fisted b#####d" you most likely would get something else.

For goodness sake, pipe down till after the decision, please!

This is directed to a number of posters, no one in particular!

Edited by LOYALION, 08 February 2014 - 08:22 AM.

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users