Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CRUNCH TIME

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Indeed as Loyalion has suggested, a little calm and patience is required as constant sniping is not helpful as the council have processes that need to be followed, which may involve central government too.

As yet the council have neither confirmed a yes nor a no.

Therefore it is wrong to assume that simply because we have yet to hear the 'yes' we all want hear, that it automatically means 'no'.

I suspect also that Dr K also knows this and he is not seeking a firm and full 'yes' to everything by next Friday as we would be aware that this is impractical, but is seeking some progress.

#22 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

I am getting worried now following on from this thread, according to DR MK last week it is D-day tomorrow for this takeover of the mighty lions and we have heard nothing. I am doing some serious praying today and tonight we hear something positive,

#23 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Same old, same old. No information given. The Marwan takeover looks dead in the water else why dual reg all the Warrington players ?

#24 pc6090

pc6090
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

why does the Marwan takeover look dead? the club in its current leadership and ownership have to carry on planning for this season as the takeover would come too late for the start of the season, and where would leave the club?

#25 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

We have no choice but to press on determinedly under the assumption of no takeover. We can't budget or make plans based on assumptions or hopes. When Salford Council or Dr Koukash announce something definite we'll re-evaluate the situation. In the meantime we have a fully functioning re-stabilised club, with a team, coaches, back-room staff, various excellent volunteers, and a well-run fans' Trust. The club fights on, although of course naturally we want to be back in M27.

#26 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

... Not to mention the most loyal fans in the game in my opinion ..

#27 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

We have no choice but to press on determinedly under the assumption of no takeover. We can't budget or make plans based on assumptions or hopes. When Salford Council or Dr Koukash announce something definite we'll re-evaluate the situation. In the meantime we have a fully functioning re-stabilised club, with a team, coaches, back-room staff, various excellent volunteers, and a well-run fans' Trust. The club fights on, although of course naturally we want to be back in M27.

Total sense as usual from SW

"...naturally we want to be back in M27"     Too true we do folks

#28 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Financially I wonder how the club are going to continue without significant investment. Looking at the potential crowd size I can't see how the club can both rent a ground and pay players. One or the other must be getting peanuts.

I hope that the club has its sums right for 'plan B'and isn't spending more than it can afford - it's been down that road many, many times before. 

#29 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

So Gandalf

We hope to see your Trust membership in the post very shortly. If you are already a member I apologise but if not it would be good to see your support for the club by the form of a membership.

Thanks

Riggy

Media Officer

#30 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Also Gandalf a tremendous amount of work is going on behind the scenes by the trust committee and other volunteers to raise monies for the club,all this hard graft is being done voluntary.I am running a sixties disco at the Swinton legion on 15th March 7pm to 12am.The sixties music as been chosen with it's association with the great Lions team of that era.tickets will be £10 with all proceeds going to the club.Even if your not into sixties music come along and soak up the atmosphere. I will do my best to make it a great night for all and I want as many of you as possible to turn out and fill the place and raise much needed capital for the trust. Even if you can't attend why not buy a ticket, as I have said ALL proceeds go to the trust. So Gandalf are you on for some tickets

#31 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hang on what's this about ? Is it now have a pop at anyone who doesn't say everything's wonderful with Swinton ? I asked a reasonable question and get smart ass holier than though answers.

Thanks for that and you wonder why few people give a monkeys about the Lions. Don't worry I won't be posting again so you can carry on with your love in.

#32 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

The club is the fans.....now more than ever
Join in.

#33 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Popping at who? Riggy asked you to join the trust.I brought to your attention the great work the trust are doing to raise the finances to keep the club viable, so whats your problem? I will put a question to you are you a genuine LIONS fan? If yes than why not become involved in helping to bring a bright future for the LIONS.

#34 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Woah there! He may be a member already, Riggy stated that he didn't know!

Gandalf1, I think your last bit about the 'Plan B spending' in your post raised a few hackles there. I'm sure that the lads in command are doing their sums and have worked out what exactly we can afford, based on the premise that nobody with any financial clout comes in to 'raise the spending bar'!

In the trust we trust!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#35 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

The more people that join the trust the better. We have about 110 members so there are still a lot of people out there that if they joined could really help the club.  All the trust are doing are trying to keep the club alive.

Riggy

#36 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

I said I wouldn't post again but now I'm absolutely livid. I've no idea who you are Glengarry but you typify all that's wrong with the few remaining swinton supporters - who are you to question who is or is not behind the Lions ?

I spent a lot of my time and money both organising and supporting trust events in the past. Whether someone is or is not a member of the trust is not a measure of whether they follow Swinton or are there really only 110 supporters left ?

Swinton have one of the smallest supporter bases in the game - most amateur teams could boast more. Let's alienate the few supporters left eh - People's Front of Judea or Judean People's Front ?

Good luck Glengarry with your supporter recruitment drive.

#37 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Also Gandalf a tremendous amount of work is going on behind the scenes by the trust committee and other volunteers to raise monies for the club,all this hard graft is being done voluntary.I am running a sixties disco at the Swinton legion on 15th March 7pm to 12am.The sixties music as been chosen with it's association with the great Lions team of that era.tickets will be £10 with all proceeds going to the club.Even if your not into sixties music come along and soak up the atmosphere. I will do my best to make it a great night for all and I want as many of you as possible to turn out and fill the place and raise much needed capital for the trust. Even if you can't attend why not buy a ticket, as I have said ALL proceeds go to the trust. So Gandalf are you on for some tickets

. Isn't £10 a bit steep?

#38 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yes Dave I think they are,but they have been set by Sue Buckley and Barbara Cathcart. I'll have a word and see if we can get them lowered.

#39 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I said I wouldn't post again but now I'm absolutely livid. I've no idea who you are Glengarry but you typify all that's wrong with the few remaining swinton supporters - who are you to question who is or is not behind the Lions ?

I spent a lot of my time and money both organising and supporting trust events in the past. Whether someone is or is not a member of the trust is not a measure of whether they follow Swinton or are there really only 110 supporters left ?

Swinton have one of the smallest supporter bases in the game - most amateur teams could boast more. Let's alienate the few supporters left eh - People's Front of Judea or Judean People's Front ?

Good luck Glengarry with your supporter recruitment drive.

it would seem that your mind is already made up about the Lions.

also, i take offence to you having a go at every remaining Swinton fan. Who are you to question us?

what would you have us do? Give up? No, you're alright, we'll crack on supporting the Lions in whatever way we can.

thanks for playing.

#40 Gandalf1

Gandalf1
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

And who exactly are you to question me ? Jog on..

And thanks that finally settles it - not a brass farthing of mine will go to the Lions again. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users