RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

7 amazing players

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Phil Artis, john Hegarty, Dean Hall, Jack Austin, Billy Pickup, Paul Shuttleworth, Dennis Bailey

#42 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I always liked ex-Fev man, Paul Hughes, when he played for you. There was a huge forward you signed from Cas in the early noughties who always impressed me too. His name escapes me (Paul something?) but I'm sure that a few years after he left you signed another player with exactly the same name.

(Edit ; just remembered. Paul Smith.)

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 February 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Forgot to mention Paul Worthy (prop who played for us in early 90's)

#44 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Showing my age but as a lad my favorite 

Jackie Marchant  [when not suspended]

Ah yes, Jackie Marchant :O)  a true peacemaker !

#45 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yes Ossie, Jackie Marchant quickly settled a lot of arguments and put many an opposing player at peace.

He also ran his weight better that ANYONE I ever saw. He was perhaps only 12.1/2 stone but took more tackling than an 18-stoner. My father used to say that off the field he was the quietest, most self-effacing and polite guy you could wish to meet. He worked for the NCB but not at the coal face, I believe he was a well qualified mining engineer.  His brother Alan (scrum half at POR) was able to keep his temper under control better, and as a result he got international recognition.

If Jackie stayed on the field for the full 80 minutes he had to have a medical examination as soon as he got back in the dressing room to find out what was wrong with him. It may be part of the overwhelming nostalgia which comes with venerable maturity, but I truly can't remember that actually happening.

Surprised no one nominated me old mocker Acker Bates.  Certainly no-one ever gave 150% for the Dewsbury cause more regularly than he.  Those coming closest (in effort) I think were George Withington and John Clarke who both tackled everything that moved, touchjudges, sponge carriers, whatever. Every team needs such wholehearted players who do the donkey work week-in, week-out and enable the flashier players to, well, flash.

• Ossy likes this

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yes Ossie, Jackie Marchant quickly settled a lot of arguments and put many an opposing player at peace.

He also ran his weight better that ANYONE I ever saw. He was perhaps only 12.1/2 stone but took more tackling than an 18-stoner. My father used to say that off the field he was the quietest, most self-effacing and polite guy you could wish to meet. He worked for the NCB but not at the coal face, I believe he was a well qualified mining engineer.  His brother Alan (scrum half at POR) was able to keep his temper under control better, and as a result he got international recognition.

If Jackie stayed on the field for the full 80 minutes he had to have a medical examination as soon as he got back in the dressing room to find out what was wrong with him. It may be part of the overwhelming nostalgia which comes with venerable maturity, but I truly can't remember that actually happening.

Surprised no one nominated me old mocker Acker Bates.  Certainly no-one ever gave 150% for the Dewsbury cause more regularly than he.  Those coming closest (in effort) I think were George Withington and John Clarke who both tackled everything that moved, touchjudges, sponge carriers, whatever. Every team needs such wholehearted players who do the donkey work week-in, week-out and enable the flashier players to, well, flash.

Joe Whittington maybe?

I agree, I'm surprised that Acker has been overlooked, alongside his brother John, of course.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

I have been thinking about this for some time and find it very difficult to name just seven. I could have probably included seven for each position.

Full back: Trevor Bedford. 

Wing: Eddie Rombo.

Centre: Nigel Stephenson.

Stand-off: Chris Vasey.

Scrum-half: Alan Bates.

Prop forward: Gary Cockx.

Hooker: Mick Stephenson

Second row: John Bates.

Loose forward: Mark Haigh.

Here are some others I had thought about:

Jimmy Ledgard, Ken Bosworth, Bob Hirst, Adrian Rushton, John Langley, Don Richardson and Nathan Graham, all at full-back.

Dennis Bailey, Andrew Ramsden, John Eastwood, Garry Marsh, David France and Brian Foley on the wing.

Marquis Charles, Trevor Callaghan, John Clark, Darren Rogers and of course Kevin Osborne & Brian Firth, the centres.

Half-backs I could have suggested are Alvin Newall, Gwyn Davies, Garth Budge, John Hegarty, Mark Keyworth and Terry Day (who also doubled as a centre).

Forwards: Trevor (Dick) Lowe, Trevor Walker, Mick Lumb,Harry Poole, Gordon & Malcolm Waring, Keith Voyce, Brian Smith, Brian Taylor, Colin Cook, Les Holiday, Graham Mook, Paul Broxholme, Shaun Womersley, Mark Westbury and ginger haired Jackie Marchant (his brother, Alan, was blond).

Legs, Dews, Legs.

#48 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

I have been thinking about this for some time and find it very difficult to name just seven. I could have probably included seven for each position.

Full back: Trevor Bedford. 

Wing: Eddie Rombo.

Centre: Nigel Stephenson.

Stand-off: Chris Vasey.

Scrum-half: Alan Bates.

Prop forward: Gary Cockx.

Hooker: Mick Stephenson

Second row: John Bates.

Loose forward: Mark Haigh.

Here are some others I had thought about:

Jimmy Ledgard, Ken Bosworth, Bob Hirst, Adrian Rushton, John Langley, Don Richardson and Nathan Graham, all at full-back.

Dennis Bailey, Andrew Ramsden, John Eastwood, Garry Marsh, David France and Brian Foley on the wing.

Marquis Charles, Trevor Callaghan, John Clark, Darren Rogers and of course Kevin Osborne & Brian Firth, the centres.

Half-backs I could have suggested are Alvin Newall, Gwyn Davies, Garth Budge, John Hegarty, Mark Keyworth and Terry Day (who also doubled as a centre).

Forwards: Trevor (Dick) Lowe, Trevor Walker, Mick Lumb,Harry Poole, Gordon & Malcolm Waring, Keith Voyce, Brian Smith, Brian Taylor, Colin Cook, Les Holiday, Graham Mook, Paul Broxholme, Shaun Womersley, Mark Westbury and ginger haired Jackie Marchant (his brother, Alan, was blond).

Jeff Grayshon, Steve Hankins and John Wolford don't get a shout then? I'm very surprised.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 16 February 2014 - 10:22 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#49 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

I also have missed out George Hutchinson (our first County player for some years), Barry Rushworth, Willie O'Donnell, Jeff Yowerd, Max Fletcher (!) and Dewsbury's long serving family trio (and not from the local community either), I present the Brunts: Alan, Steve and Sid!
Most remiss of me and there are others too. Over to you.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#50 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I also have missed out George Hutchinson (our first County player for some years), Barry Rushworth, Willie O'Donnell, Jeff Yowerd, Max Fletcher (!) and Dewsbury's long serving family trio (and not from the local community either), I present the Brunts: Alan, Steve and Sid!

Anybody mention mighty Mick Murphy - our first true utility player who could play prop or scrum half. Max Fletcher was memorable as possibly the worst centre of his day. Only Richard Darkes was in the same class. :sclerosis:

#51 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

GOM

"Joe Whittington maybe?

I agree, I'm surprised that Acker has been overlooked, alongside his brother John, of course"

No - by George Withington, I DID mean George Withington! (Joe Whittington wasn't bad either!)

George played around the same time as (say) Ken Bosworth, and round about the time Trevor Callaghan restarted after he came out of jail.   Possibly Willie O'Donnell was in the team around the same time.  

(And yes, John Bates was a good second rower and toured Australia with GB. It was on that tour that he got a bad neck injury which sadly finished his career. He was also a very nice lad. Not a malicious bone in his body.)

Which then brings to mind Harry Royal who was playing scrum half when I was just big enough to toddle along to the ground, and who was (in)famous for leading, as the captain, the entire team off the park when he took exception to the way a referee was handling the game. Match abandoned. And Roy (Ray?) Laycock another good scrum half who kept a pub on Bradford Road (Imperial I think, kept a good pint of Joshua's!), and who also played for "the unmentionables".  I can remember my female cousin taking me to the matches back then (she was about 10 years older than me) and had a few crushes on various players. She became especially blooming (at the time I just noticed she was a little flushed, I didn't understand the biology) whenever one of her favourites got the ball.

Other good players from the early-mid '50's were the Warings (Malcolm-hooker and Gordon-winger), Roy Pollard, another winger, called Hemingway, who created the same excited anticipation in the crowd when he got the ball as Eddie Rombo did in more recent times. Johnny Wilson, and Smut Smith, and another Maori called Nepia who looked like he was going to be a great player but then I think returned to New Zealand. A guy called Ormonroyd who was a classy stand-off, but I think got a bad career-ending injury.

But I have to say the best of the best (twenty years on from that) was Mike Stevenson. Homegrown superstar. I'll never forget him getting the ball playing out of the Crown Flatt nine-oil, breaking a few tackles and then outpacing everyone to score in an 80 yards (he claims it was 97 yards) run up the slope. And bear in mind this was a hooker, when hookers had to be hookers in "real" scrums!

I can also remember playing with Jim and Joe Lyman.....but that was at bowls at the old Dewsbury Rugby green behind the Pavilion (club house). Not quite old enough (and likely not good enough) to have played Rugby with them! Around the same time a loose-forward called Robinson played a bit of bowls on training nights, he'd won the Yorkshire Post Boy's trophy when he was younger.

Arthur Wilmot (ex-prop forward) and his son David (close schoolboy friend of mine) who later played for Keighley were also amongst the bowls fraternity, as was Norman Smith (second team coach at the time).  During that same period the groundsman and greenkeeper was called Trevor Hall.  What he didn't know about growing grass wasn't worth knowing, and the Dewsbury Rugby green won the Yorkshire Greenkeeper's trophy 3 or 4 times when he was looking after it, and the rugby pitch looked like a sloping Wembley.  Looks like we could do with him at Shaw Cross!

Gotta give up I'm getting all nostalgic.

• Ossy likes this

#52 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Some great memories Flattopper. Harry Royal was my mum's favourite player. Now my dad felt just the opposite - about two prop forwards he thought were useless! Nonetheless they were in the first team each week and he used to complain constantly about them. I recall them playing, but not much else and their surnames were Judge and Dolan. Do you have any details at all? I think Brian Smith was in the middle of them (now I do remember him, so perhaps his predecessor (who that might be I cannot be sure) may have been supported by them).
Legs, Dews, Legs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users