Rams 11 Fev 10 - Discussion, photos and video highlights here

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 morti

morti
  • Coach
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

awesome defence won us the game today n never say die attitude,well done the rams

Edited by morti, 17 February 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#82 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well, whatever happens during the rest of the season, Glen Morrison has to be commended on doing the pre-season work way beyond the level that the financial resources at his disposal should reasonably allow.

I have only the resources of this forum, and the match highlights video on which to base this opinion, but from both I can opine that he has certainly put a defensive regime and team spirit in place which will make his team, at least difficult to beat in the Championship this season. I am not of course going to draw any comparisons with our allegedly superior friends across the valley who leaked nine tries in their first league fixture. (Oh - I just did, sorry!).

And on the whole these are mostly youngsters who we can expect to improve. Just need to keep focused, never get over-confident, back-up, back-up, back-up, and this could be the start of a revival.  Just hope that the people of Dewsbury can get out of their armchairs and conjugal sunday supermarket duties and get behind the team so that the coach and the players can appreciate that their efforts are making a difference in the town.

Wish I was about 10,500 kilometres nearer!

#83 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Well, whatever happens during the rest of the season, Glen Morrison has to be commended on doing the pre-season work way beyond the level that the financial resources at his disposal should reasonably allow.

I have only the resources of this forum, and the match highlights video on which to base this opinion, but from both I can opine that he has certainly put a defensive regime and team spirit in place which will make his team, at least difficult to beat in the Championship this season. I am not of course going to draw any comparisons with our allegedly superior friends across the valley who leaked nine tries in their first league fixture. (Oh - I just did, sorry!).

And on the whole these are mostly youngsters who we can expect to improve. Just need to keep focused, never get over-confident, back-up, back-up, back-up, and this could be the start of a revival.  Just hope that the people of Dewsbury can get out of their armchairs and conjugal sunday supermarket duties and get behind the team so that the coach and the players can appreciate that their efforts are making a difference in the town.

Wish I was about 10,500 kilometres nearer!

Where are you Flattopper?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#84 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Yes, a decent performance.

I do have one major problem with yesterday's display however - how did anyone manage to choose a man of the match?

That was a team performance from all 17 players with not a single weak link, at least to my fading eyes. The focus and commitment from the players spoke volumes about GM's ability to build and mold a team and, whatever the outcome for the season, gives all of the fans a spring in their step as they contemplate upcoming games.

I could even say that I was feeling optimistic, but I don't like to go too far.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 17 February 2014 - 08:52 AM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#85 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

My top 3 for MoM would have been:-

1. Spicer, never stopped tackling or taking the ball in
2. Thackeray, had that extra bit if class near the line that we have missed over the last few years
3. Hale, see Spicer

#86 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yes, a decent performance.

I do have one major problem with yesterday's display however - how did anyone manage to choose a man of the match?

That was a team performance from all 17 players with not a single weak link, at least to my fading eyes. The focus and commitment from the players spoke volumes about GM's ability to build and mold a team and, whatever the outcome for the season, gives all of the fans a spring in their step as they contemplate upcoming games.

I could even say that I was feeling optimistic, but I don't like to go too far.

Best defensive display by a rams side in recent memory - not that my recent memory amounts to much. What a difference a good halfback makes too - Thackray is a class act. Really thought the lads would have run out of steam after that first half defensive stint, but GM looks to have got them much fitter than we have been accustomed to in recent years. Happy bunny last night. :)

#87 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

As a Fev fan I think Thackeray gave you that very fine edge; Our players backed off everything he tried to do; But that was a tremendous all round performance by the Rams; And as indicated by me before this game I think Dewsbury are now the new Fax; Good luck for a wonderful season ahead;

#88 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

As a Fev fan I think Thackeray gave you that very fine edge; Our players backed off everything he tried to do; But that was a tremendous all round performance by the Rams; And as indicated by me before this game I think Dewsbury are now the new Fax; Good luck for a wonderful season ahead;

Thought you lads didn't like fax ;) thanks for the kind words though.

#89 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Fantastic, nail-biting contest with an incredible finish. I still can't believe we missed that conversion, but the lads deserve immense credit for grinding out the field position to kick a drop-goal, particularly when you consider how nackered they must have been. The move and break involving Sherrif to take us downfield was fantastic.

Isn't it great to start the game with two good half-backs? And then also have the option of Hyde on the bench, who really added something different when he was introduced. He can also play at hooker - but where does leave Ryan Wright!? Headache!

In Thackeray we have a play-maker who opposition defences genuinely fear. He puts defenders in two minds, and with the right number of dummy runners and attacking options he'll score a few this year that'll be carbon copies of the one he grabbed yesterday.

Think the selection up front was spot on and every prop forward got through an absolute mountain of work, while making very few errors in defence. We were all frustrated by the poor completion in the first half, but the dropped ball was probably just a reflection of how tired the players were from defending. I did notice that a few of the players were catching the ball around their stomach and hips though, so maybe the distribution from dummy half could have been sharper.

Think it's easy to criticise Fev in hindsight for not going for the two, but they obviously believed our defence would tire and that they'd be able to get over the line. But they just couldn't do it!

Bring on Rochdale! Do we risk resting and rotating?

Edited by Tom Coates, 17 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#90 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

I indicated previously that defence wins games and that was borne out yesterday. After seeing our defensive displays in the friendlies against the Bulls and Cas, I felt sure we would be okay against Fev, but didn't reckon on having to sustain the effort for almost the entire first half.

I am sure both Featherstone's players and supporters alike assumed our defence would fold and feel that is why they tried to run the penalties won in that first period. They were surprised that we competed like for like in those tackling stints. I do enjoy a good defensive game; something about playing the game in winter I reckon.

What a team effort and my man if the match was all of them! Cracking match and being greedy, want more of it.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#91 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

For me Thackeray is not consistant enough. Don't get me wrong he is a decent player and when he played for York he beat Batley on his own, but I 've seen him play in other games and be totally ineffective. Hemminingway also seems to drift around clubs too, and hopefully the Rams have the pairing that can lift them into the top 4 or 5 but there is a long way to go and a lot of rugby to play so enjoy your day is the sunshine and keep your fingers crossed it lasts all season.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#92 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Another 90 photos now uploaded

#93 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

For me Thackeray is not consistant enough. Don't get me wrong he is a decent player and when he played for York he beat Batley on his own, but I 've seen him play in other games and be totally ineffective. Hemminingway also seems to drift around clubs too, and hopefully the Rams have the pairing that can lift them into the top 4 or 5 but there is a long way to go and a lot of rugby to play so enjoy your day is the sunshine and keep your fingers crossed it lasts all season.

Half backs must have the platform that forwards provide - without that they are barely ever effectual. wherever I've seen a half back have a clear dip in form it has usually been because his forwards have been dominated by the other side. Yesterday our forwards and front row in particular were quite dominant, and the halves played well.

QED

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#94 Burnley Ram

Burnley Ram
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

A GREAT DEFENSIVE EFFORT.  We didn't just tackle them we hit them hard - something that we have not always done recently.

There appears to be real team spirit there and it was good to see the likes of Godwin and Thackeray talking to the lads

and keeping them going, especially after we had gone behind late on.

Well done to Glenn and all the lads

#95 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

BSJ "Where are you Flattopper?"

Sorry for slow reply, My nights are your days.

I'm in Muar, also known as Bandar Maharani.

If you don't know where it is (and many people less than 50 miles away don't!) I'll leave you the pleasure of self-discovery via the magic that is Google. Then you'll understand why I don't get to Shaw Cross very often.

#96 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

BSJ "Where are you Flattopper?"

Sorry for slow reply, My nights are your days.

I'm in Muar, also known as Bandar Maharani.

If you don't know where it is (and many people less than 50 miles away don't!) I'll leave you the pleasure of self-discovery via the magic that is Google. Then you'll understand why I don't get to Shaw Cross very often.

I see. I bet the arguments regarding summer vs winter RL are a bit more complex out your way.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#97 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Just minus the buckets. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users