Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Switzerland votes to leave Europe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Interesting times ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Are they going to stop the migration of EU crooks' ill gotten gains into their bank vaults?

LUNEW.jpg

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Are they going to stop the migration of EU crooks' ill gotten gains into their bank vaults?

Mmmm, let me think....

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Presumably, this is all about Romania and Bulgaria joining the EU.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Mmmm, let me think....

I did read an article last year showing they had made some movement in this area. It's not the safe haven it once was , there is still some secrecy though.

Edited by Ramite, 09 February 2014 - 08:42 PM.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

I don't think it is quite so simple. As the article says Ticino had the strongest "yes" vote. Ticino has a relatively high rate of unemployment because it is Italian speaking and next to Italy. A lot of Italians travel into Ticino to work as Italy has a high rate of unemployment.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Bit of a delayed reaction, Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU seven years ago.

Whereas Switzerland aren't in it, as GJ presumably knows.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Bit of a delayed reaction, Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU seven years ago.

Whereas Switzerland aren't in it, as GJ presumably knows.

I do know.

The vote means that Switzerland has to either leave or renegotiate its open-trade relationship with the EU.

I think it's interesting because the general belief is that they will struggle to do so successfully.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I do know.

The vote means that Switzerland has to either leave or renegotiate its open-trade relationship with the EU.

I think it's interesting because the general belief is that they will struggle to do so successfully.

It certainly is interesting. And the repercussions for the UK and a few others will be worth keeping an eye on.

But although other EU Member States (and the Commission) will be keen to play it tough with the Swiss, that will still prove tricky politically.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users