Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

If

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

I had a sneaky peak at the Leigh forum........ we'll be lucky to get out of their council house with anything less than a good hard thrashing it seems. 

#22 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Im confident the current wingers we have are on par or better than alex brown. For every try he finished he let one in and his high ball was always suspect- discounting the blackpool beaut

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#23 binosh

binosh
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Why don't you Batley fans start a thread of your own and have some confidence yourselves, Sport is all about wanting to beat your next opposition, it gives us something to talk about, get a grip and stop taking it so personal!

Next week we (Leigh) fans will start a topic called  "predictions for Barrow" and all of them will involve us stuffing them aswell.  Oh and after that it will be "predictions for Whitehaven" which guess what, we will be running 100 past them!

Deal with it children.

#24 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Why don't you Batley fans start a thread of your own and have some confidence yourselves, Sport is all about wanting to beat your next opposition, it gives us something to talk about, get a grip and stop taking it so personal!

Next week we (Leigh) fans will start a topic called  "predictions for Barrow" and all of them will involve us stuffing them aswell.  Oh and after that it will be "predictions for Whitehaven" which guess what, we will be running 100 past them!

Deal with it children.

Try not to confuse confidence with arrogance. And re-read some of the posts on RLFans and you might see why some Leythers haven't exactly endeared themselves over here. Pretty obvious really. Even to "children".

#25 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Will brown have a blinder or do we know his flaws in order to make him wish he never laced his boots that afternoon

You've missed the point of this thread. Surely,you can't expect our guys, on their fabulous contracts, to lace their own boots?! We have back-room staff for that! ;)

#26 Bulldog Days

Bulldog Days
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm sure our solid recruitment and build up to the season will be manifested in our performance on Sunday. We have some exceptional talent in our team this season, which I am sure will be surprise packages when unveiled in a competitive arena. Bring on the season!

#27 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hark at you princess. You are back to having a bit of cash on the hip and they're back to being the missing SL link. I wouldn't mind so much, but after the numerous DR player's Leigh have furnished there squad with over the last few years from Warrington and Wigan, and then you have the cheek to have a pop at us. JEEZ!!! How quick you forget.

Perhaps you can help me out a bit by answering, how you managed to sign the 28 players in your first team squad for under the £300k salary cap? That equates to less than £11k a season, you can bet there will be great service in the pie hut, ticket office and Souvenir shop at LSV. By the looks of things all the players wives will be working in them.

The old expenses are likely to take a battering this season ;)

I can't imagine Penky, Beswick, Brown, Thornley, Brierley and Emmit are playing for an average salary of £10700 per season can you?!?!?! But I guess "Adolf" Littler and McNally are playing for the love of the game. 

I BeLEIGHve there could be bit of creativity in the books at Leigh. Just an opinion mind.

Do Leigh use the same firm of accountants as Jimmy Carr and Ken Dodd? I think we should try them out next season, they seem to have worked more magic than Dynamo!!!  ;)have to admit it, this is good lol

How long will it take before this bubble bursts and the money has dried up? It's not like its happened before is it, oh wait a minute....

Just remember pal, there is no Gateshead to save you this time!!!!

#28 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

[quote name="stevieb" post="2878705" timestamp="1392124749"][quote name="DOGFATHER" post="2878367" timestamp="1392051861"]Hark at you princess. You are back to having a bit of cash on the hip and they're back to being the missing SL link. I wouldn't mind so much, but after the numerous DR player's Leigh have furnished there squad with over the last few years from Warrington and Wigan, and then you have the cheek to have a pop at us. JEEZ!!! How quick you forget.

Perhaps you can help me out a bit by answering, how you managed to sign the 28 players in your first team squad for under the £300k salary cap? That equates to less than £11k a season, you can bet there will be great service in the pie hut, ticket office and Souvenir shop at LSV. By the looks of things all the players wives will be working in them.

I can't imagine Penky, Beswick, Brown, Thornley, Brierley and Emmit are playing for an average salary of £10700 per season can you?!?!?! But I guess "Adolf" Littler and McNally are playing for the love of the game. 

I BeLEIGHve there could be bit of creativity in the books at Leigh. Just an opinion mind.

Do Leigh use the same firm of accountants as Jimmy Carr and Ken Dodd? I think we should try them out next season, they seem to have worked more magic than Dynamo!!!  ;)have to admit it, this is good lol

How long will it take before this bubble bursts and the money has dried up? It's not like its happened before is it, oh wait a minute....

Just remember pal, there is no Gateshead to save you this time!!!![/quote][/quote)dont they do this every season then when they fail as they usualy do, go home with there tails between there legs, roll on sunday i say and let the dogs out and at em.

#29 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hark at you princess. You are back to having a bit of cash on the hip and they're back to being the missing SL link. I wouldn't mind so much, but after the numerous DR player's Leigh have furnished there squad with over the last few years from Warrington and Wigan, and then you have the cheek to have a pop at us. JEEZ!!! How quick you forget.

Do Leigh use the same firm of accountants as Jimmy Carr and Ken Dodd? I think we should try them out next season, they seem to have worked more magic than Dynamo!!!  ;)

Just remember pal, there is no Gateshead to save you this time!!!!  

For every princess you will find a queen!

Now I understand the showers are on and it don't look too good, but its no good asking the big boys to tuck it up to give the little lads a chance - that attitude holds our game back

I empathise with your plight, its not easy punching above your weight every year and that becoming Ken's ##### was inevitable with little cash coming in and 5 down this year

Your chairman is a great RL man, he works wonders getting a decent team out considering the income he has to work with and like it or not income will dictate options.

If you fail to see the importance of this season for the duration of the new format then please check out the new SL ref sponsor, if any club has ambition this is the year they cannot fail and I am so happy we have new owners who put money in personally and by attracting it from others via sponsorship - no loans. We have gone from a load of local companies putting a grand in, or contra deals, to enter a draw for shirt sponsor to a list the like of which I have never seen before at Leigh, record lottery members and donations, record ISA members and donations, record season ticket sales, successful grants to fund the community works, Huge Centurions TV take up, £50k taken at the shop in December, 300+ fans names on the shirt at £25 a name, expanding Corporate Club, expanding Business Network club, £100,000 through the tills in friendlies with full corporate take up, and 1900 gates will return a profit without the need to access the money already guaranteed by the board - gates as low as 1300 would see us secure, I believe we will be well over 2k average come season end btw

None of the above guarantees success, it just gives you a better chance of it. We all know players get injured, the ball bounces badly etc that is why we love our sport and especially the banter we can enjoy together over a beer and stood next to each other.(or on MB's) - sorry cant access emoticons!!!

Have a safe journey over on Sunday, I know you will travel well for the opener and good luck for the rest of the season after Sunday

Edited by sweaty craiq, 11 February 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#30 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

...but its no good asking the big boys to tuck it up to give the little lads a chance - that attitude holds our game back

I don't think anyone would want to hold back you "big boys".  Especially "big boys" that were scratching round skint at the start of last season worrying about how you would generate income, until you were bailed out by your current financiers of brilliant "businessmen". 

I know I certainly wouldn't want to hold you back, neither would I want to hold the likes of Featherstone back. Good luck to any team chancing there arm by trying to compete with the teams funded by the RFL/Sky deal to tune of 4 times greater than the funding you will get. IF you get through to the 2nd tier of 8.

You failed to answer any of the questions I asked you though so I will ask again:

How long will it be before the money dries up again and your businessmen decide not to pile any more money in to the abyss. The one thing that is for sure, RL has not proven to be a good investment over the years, however not many sports are.

My understanding might be incorrect, so please forgive me. The salary cap finite limit is £300k in this division. That is regardless of how much money you generate, that is the maximum limit.

Like it is £1.8M in SL, I am fairly certain clubs like Leeds, Wigan and Mr Koukash's Salford for instance, could probably afford to spend far more than £1.8M on there respective first team squads. The fact remains, there is a rule in place which governs how much teams spend on their team.

I for one am still very confused about just how your board has convinced so many excellent players to sign for an average wage of only £10,700 per season.

In fact, I would go as far to say, that I am amazed by your board for negotiating such remarkably low wages for such a quality side.

Especially when the players know they are signing for a club as "Big" as Leigh Centurions. Surely the only way up from there is to sign for Manly?  

I'm no mathematician, I do not, and would never profess to know how much players are earning at Leigh. But realistically, do you think the likes of Penky, Beswick, Brown, Thornley, Brierley, WIlkes, McNally, Ridyard and Emmitt are earning less than £10,700 per season?

Logically, I find it very difficult to BeLEIGHve and cannot see it, but again I'm no expert.

Another thing that puzzles me; the win bonuses cannot be much at Leigh this time around, if your fans are correct with there predictions and the rest of the league having no chance of beating you. God forbid they are wrong, and you only win 20 games this season, not including the cup and play offs (that you will run away with) that's only £535 a win, that's not a lot to cash to put your body on the line for is it? 

Maybe you could tell me which matches you are likely to throw, to ensure you do not pay the players more than you should do to keep under the salary cap? Maybe if we scrape enough cash together to back the opposition, the odds will be so big against you losing that we could dream to compete with you next season. 

I had heard the rumours that Brierley was being touted by several SL clubs just before signing the deal with Leigh last year. I find crazy that the SL clubs would be offering far less than the £11k you are paying him. 

I just hope the RFL take the initiative this time around and investigate sooner rather than later, unlike they did with Barrow by waiting years after the event before someone at Red Hall says hang on, a team like that earning 2 shillings and ha'penny a season, that can't be right.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 11 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

The truth is it's nothing to do with any of us how they fund their team. And good luck to them if they succeed. That was never the point of this thread, we should just be delighted how OUR club does and hope our progress continues as it has done.

#32 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Dogdaddy, if you read the post you will find your answers. It is not difficult finding local players who want to play for Leigh and often we pick them up for less, after all what options do they have? The nucleus is fairly young and local Brierley, Spencer, Acton, Sarsfield, Armstrong, Foster, Emmitt, Duffy, Pownall, Bate, Bullock, Briscoe are all 20-23ish and live within a few miles. Ridyard, Goulden, Littler, Penky, Govin, Higson are born n bred Leythers, we bought in Kay and Brown as finishers, and Wilkes came back to run the pack. Our finances are in great shape with our FD being very open about them, and as I was always taught in business you dont make money by saving money - something our last board didn't understand and hence the slow death syndrome and the need for DR, aka selling ones soul.

#33 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Dogdaddy, if you read the post you will find your answers. It is not difficult finding local players who want to play for Leigh and often we pick them up for less, after all what options do they have? The nucleus is fairly young and local Brierley, Spencer, Acton, Sarsfield, Armstrong, Foster, Emmitt, Duffy, Pownall, Bate, Bullock, Briscoe are all 20-23ish and live within a few miles. Ridyard, Goulden, Littler, Penky, Govin, Higson are born n bred Leythers, we bought in Kay and Brown as finishers, and Wilkes came back to run the pack. Our finances are in great shape with our FD being very open about them, and as I was always taught in business you dont make money by saving money - something our last board didn't understand and hence the slow death syndrome and the need for DR, aka selling ones soul.

I actually share your guarded opinion of DR, but the one club who I refuse to accept any criticism for our participation in DR is Leigh, who from the outset of the system embraced it enthusiastically. You really have no definitive right to criticise any club for entering into DR when your club were one of the forerunners and most enthusiastic adherents of the system.

#34 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Utter tosh. Your finances are only in 'great shape' because someone's kindly ploughed in a load of money to haul you back into the black. Any 'great shape' you're in has nothing whatsoever to do with shrewd financial management. To me, it all looks to be a gamble based on the same old disastrous philosophy of spending big on players in and relying on increased crowds to cover the costs.

I hope you are still posting on these forums in a few years time when it all inevitably falls apart. We can all remind you about your criticism of dual registration and our club.

By the way, your club has 'sold its soul' not once, but TWICE - to Warrington in 2010, and Wigan in 2013. You're preaching from a really lofty position, aren't you?

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 February 2014 - 07:12 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Mark B

Mark B
  • Coach
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Go back to you're board and ask what the squad you have put together is based on . I will guarantee it's based on a certain crowd level and also the fact you have budgeted to finish in the top two pushing the boat out for the 500k plus reward . I really hope you finish 3rd because you're sheer arrogance and blindness is laughable . All will be ok if you make the top 2 but If you don't I'm sure the same astute people pumping money in will happy to cover the 300k shortfall right ? Leigh - used to be a big club just a shame you're having to now compete with such a small club as little old batley eh ! Jog on

Edited by Mark B, 11 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

Posted Image

#36 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I actually share your guarded opinion of DR, but the one club who I refuse to accept any criticism for our participation in DR is Leigh, who from the outset of the system embraced it enthusiastically. You really have no definitive right to criticise any club for entering into DR when your club were one of the forerunners and most enthusiastic adherents of the system.

The Wire one was a typical big coach small club syndrome, then they brought in twinning/partnerships and trust me the Wigan one stuck in most peoples throats but we had a board who thought small and didnt put cash in - what was interesting with the Wigan one was that come play offs we had no players eligible due to the number of games played, Spencer was a season loan.

I do understand your predicament and your need to twin with Huddersfield, but the entire DR system is a shambles. It was brought in to suit SL clubs and relies on clubs having no ambition other than to survive in order to participate, and that did include our last board as well imo

We are in the poacher come gamekeeper bracket on this subject.

#37 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Go back to you're board and ask what the squad you have put together is based on . I will guarantee it's based on a certain crowd level and also the fact you have budgeted to finish in the top two pushing the boat out for the 500k plus reward . I really hope you finish 3rd because you're sheer arrogance and blindness is laughable . All will be ok if you make the top 2 but If you don't I'm sure the same astute people pumping money in will happy to cover the 300k shortfall right ? Leigh - used to be a big club just a shame you're having to now compete with such a small club as little old batley eh ! Jog on

I told you the crowd level it is based upon and you can do your maths regarding shortfalls as I did. With no increase in gates on last year a shortfall of 5000 fans over the season would occur against budgets, at £10 a head plus vat that's £50k. The board have committed far more than that every year for 3 years, and I provided a breakdown of other huge income increases as a result of the changes made

Leigh will never become a big club unless Marwans brother comes on board, but we should be able to compete with the Cas, Wakey, Widnes, London, HKR, Salford end of the current SL most years if we do things right, and Bradford as they are now of course.

You need to stop the little boy syndrome and help your chairman get the fans through the gate his efforts deserve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users