Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team and predictions for Donny at home!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

What 17 do you think we will see on next week?
I'll go
Carter
Miller
Mossop or Morris
Connor
Haney
Lupton
C.Phillips
Coward
Matty
Mcavoy
B.Phillips
Stack
Olstrom

Lucock or Rooney
Shackley
Rowlandson
Mcgoff or Duerden

I predict a 22-14 town win
Attendance 1033

Edited by scott, 09 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#2 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

If today's performance against Crusaders is an indication of how Donny currently are then Worky should win the game comfortably . They also lost Waller with a serious injury and that man was a major player in last years defeats. Lost two other players due to bad injuries and Cooke looks fatter than he did last year .

Worky win by 20 

Oh and just info - Declan Hulme ripped them to bits on the left edge , two blistering 60metre breaks to lay on the first two tries and then scored the winner himself - 

your left centre should have a field day if they can get the ball away

#3 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

If today's performance against Crusaders is an indication of how Donny currently are then Worky should win the game comfortably . They also lost Waller with a serious injury and that man was a major player in last years defeats. Lost two other players due to bad injuries and Cooke looks fatter than he did last year .

Worky win by 20 

Oh and just info - Declan Hulme ripped them to bits on the left edge , two blistering 60metre breaks to lay on the first two tries and then scored the winner himself - 

your left centre should have a field day if they can get the ball away

Cheers wonderofwood, I think it will be to close to call, hoping for a Town win , but not to confident, we need more strength, would have Declan back!! think we have 20 start on coupon,

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Nice to hear from you again wonderofwood.    I thought we might have seen more of Declan at Town this year but it wasn't to be.   How many Hull players did Donny have?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Hi keith

been reading the forum mate with interest over the winter and its good to see your putting together a decent squad.  Six hull lads today in Donny's squad , but I believe after speaking with a decent Donny bloke that the majority are in the same position as maybe ,Lawton,Gore,Hulme & Gilmour from Widnes. Young academy lads gaining experience, and TBF when they put them on in the second half they got destroyed , especially in the pack. 

Waller will be a massive loss for them , he came off the bench and there intensity went up three fold . I was surprised as I know numerous SL clubs have shown big interest in him and didn't expect him to be still there ?  anyhow after racing to a 10point lead they showed little else ,  and there right edge didn't put a finger on Declan all the game . If you put in anything like a performance next week then I cant see how that team could turn you over and I will certainly be having a few quid if your getting 20

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Well I'd say that the key is whether Cooke is playing or not . His physical appearance seems a total red herring . He keeps giving a supreme masterclass against us . Along with Finn , his performance down here last year was the best from an individual we seen . Kicking , passing , thinking, then running through you - we never get a handle on him , home or away . In general terms , given this mobs record against us , I'd snap yer arm off for a one point win .

#7 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think that's fair David, he only lasted for 50minutes on Sunday but everything they did well in the first half was down to him . He is 3yards quicker in his head than his feet these days but he has to have options to make it work and go forward to get in dangerous positions and from what I seen yesterday , with a first team pack out , they will struggle to get him in the positions that can hurt you . 

Cooke with ball in hands 40yards out is a different proposition to when there in your twenty and if you win the battle in the middle of the park then I cant see nothing but a workington win . 

good luck for Sunday guys , hope the new boys go well and give you a good start to a very important season

#8 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Following on the possible thoughts that we might have an arrangement with Wigan.
At a glance, It would appear that the Wigan 27 man squad in New Zealand/Australia left the following squad members behind - doing nothing this weekend!
29. Sam Hopkins Prop
34. Lewis Tierney Full Back
35. Rob Lever Loose Forward
36. Connor Farrell U19 Second Row
37. Ryan Sutton U19 Prop
38. Ben Austin U19 Prop
39. Jack Murphy Full Back

#9 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

sam hopkins was best prop in the championship last season think he,s been linked with a season at london

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yeh he's a different case to the rest you'd think . Battling it out at the top of the championship , you can't really see him moving then ending up playing even lower than before . It would make no sense and a SL team loan would look better from his point . The young kids working up the system at the lower end of the first team squad are more likely , if any , but are still great talents . We're perfect for them !

Edited by DavidM, 10 February 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#11 macca57

macca57
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

i herd suttton,farrel,tierney are comin

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I think my 17 would be:-

Carter

Miller

Connor

Morris

Haney

Lupton

Phillips C

Coward

Matty

McAvoy

Phillips B

Stack

Olstrum

Rooney

Shackley

Rowlandson

Duerden

Morris running strong should do what Declan Hulme did against them yesterday.   Duerden and Rooney can both fit in, in the forwards or in the centres.    Young Lucock is one for the future and I have no doubt that when he gets up to speed he will be an asset to us.   McGoff has done nothing wrong since he came back to us and his defence is solid so I wouldn't argue if he was in in place of Duerden.    If someone can get in to Cookes face and hurry him he is not so good it's when teams stand back and let him play that he causes trouble.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Starting 17 on what we have so far
1.carter
2.miller
3.mossop
4.connor
5.haney
6.lupton
7.callum
8.coward
9.matty
10.shacks
11.phillips
12.stack
13.olstrum

14.mcavoy
15.rooney
16.mcgoff
17.rowlandson
Think mossop has to start at centre inside ell as they form a great defensive partnership. Connor played himself in over red yesterday who has shown little to date

Edited by wonky, 10 February 2014 - 02:49 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#14 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

If you can get your hands on Farrell,Burke and Tierney ( cover for Brett and Miller) then you will not be disapointed. They will cut the mustard and are the cream of the current crop , which is of a very high standard. Widnes moving to Northwales could end up as a very very good decision for Worky. and on the topic of youngsters Shaven have brought in a lad called Atkin. You will have to keep a close eye on that kid when you play them , He is one that got away from SL teams and has matured into a very intelligent young player.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

' Morris running strong ' .... I'd really like to see that. I wouldn't argue with anyone about who plays centre. It's just shuffling deck chairs . Every one who's had a gig there has to up their game , and the guys firing the bullets need to do their bit to make the poor guys on the edge's job a bit easier

Edited by DavidM, 10 February 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I just don't see tierney being what we need, he's going to be really good in the future, but if it's a loan deal the lad has to play to develop and he's not going to start over carter,miller or Haney.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

If you can get your hands on Farrell,Burke and Tierney ( cover for Brett and Miller) then you will not be disapointed. They will cut the mustard and are the cream of the current crop , which is of a very high standard. Widnes moving to Northwales could end up as a very very good decision for Worky. and on the topic of youngsters Shaven have brought in a lad called Atkin. You will have to keep a close eye on that kid when you play them , He is one that got away from SL teams and has matured into a very intelligent young player.

Haven have released young Atkin after 2 trial games.

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

But surely these kids are such natural talented players with pace and footwork they can play anywhere that's needed at this level ? If someone has pace and threat and is more potent than what you have get em in and give them the pill !!!

Edited by DavidM, 10 February 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#19 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Haven have released young Atkin after 2 trial games.

obviously couldn't afford him then  lol 

Shows what I know eh !

#20 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Haven fans have been raving about one of the trailist that they have let go, lad called Smith, would he be worth tapping up? they were really keen on him, what do folks think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users