Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hello!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Can't wait for Sunday.
It's a big day for both clubs who will want to make a good start.
We have a fairly new team that have done well in the pre season warm ups and you will be keen to see how you perform at the higher level.
So, see you Sunday!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

I've been impressed by what I have seen so far, particularly at Leigh and Doncaster.

Clive and John are going to have to target winnable games and those we should at least get bonus points to keep us in the Championship (or whatever it will be called) next season. With at least 5 teams going down its going to be a very tough season but I really believe if anyone can do it Clive Griffiths and North Wales Crusaders can.

Roll on Sunday

and Croeso cynes to all who travel down from Barrow.

#3 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Excellent!! You've got your own place at last.

gogledd........I think I'm right in saying that the majority of Crusader fans opposd the dual registration system, or at least the vocal ones. It almost seemed as though  it was something you (the fans) and the club took pride in. How's the new deal been received?

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#4 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Nice to have our own place on here at last. Looking forward to our first game this sunday at home to Barrow. Hopefully a good game and a victory.

#5 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Excellent!! You've got your own place at last.

gogledd........I think I'm right in saying that the majority of Crusader fans opposd the dual registration system, or at least the vocal ones. It almost seemed as though  it was something you (the fans) and the club took pride in. How's the new deal been received?

Hi PD.  We do have another forum  - Crusaders Til I Die - but it doesn't get a lot of use, plus the Crusaders Supporters Club Facebook  and Twitter pages, which seems to be the way people like to communicate nowadays.

DR, or lack of it was a badge of pride we wore last year. We wanted to be independent and were proud to stand on our own. However promotion has thrown up a different set of circumstances. The club know we need to be as professional as we can. We were already using training and medical facilities in Widnes so the partnership was always on the cards.  The most important part of DR we needed to ensure was any partner club had no influence on Clive Griffiths' selection - no SL players coming back from injury given a game or two to get fit, no Crusaders players left out in favour of a player foisted on us with little or no notice.  I think Widnes and Crusaders seem to have come up with a partnership that looks like it could work for now.  We need the support of Widnes for training and medical facilities and it may be that playing in the Championship we may need a player or two from Widnes to ensure we stay in the Championship. With 5 teams being relegated for 2015 we need the ensure we finish in the top 8 - perhaps we have to swallow our pride and accept an option that is the best possible fit for our club.

I am pretty sure DR will end in 2015 when we have the new structure, so it may be a short term deal anyway.

How are Hornets shaping up for the new season? Are you still linked to St. Helens?

#6 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Here's a forecast.
You will win and Gareth Hewer the referee will be MOM for you.
He hates Barrow.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#7 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

OK Bearman I'll go 32 18 to the Cru. Whats your prediction mate?

#8 pennington

pennington
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Crusaders 20-22 barrow

#9 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

gogledd....Friendly results would suggest that we are going to struggle when the season kicks off for real. Especially so since there's five going down.

A 54 points to 4 kicking at keighley and a 62 points to 6 drubbing by a mixture of the academy and fringe players from St Helens doesn't bode well, the only preseason game we have won was against Leigh under 20's and then only by 4 points.

Having said that friendlies are are about ironing out problems before the real season starts are I think Talbot is a very capable coach, the link up with St Helens is still place and the lads train there and have access to the physio etc.

There's been some good additions to the squad, most notably a couple of Fijian international who have played in the NRL, if Talbot can mold a team (and I think he can) then we may stay up.

Anyway good luck with your season, I enjoyed my trip to Wrexham last season (apart from the the fact it was full of them Welsh types) and will be there again this season.

Edited by PooingDog, 11 February 2014 - 10:51 PM.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#10 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Gareth Hewer is a Whitehaven lad and I know him fairly well from refereeing my club - Eccles. He will be officiating the game as honestly as possible, just as he would if he was in charge of any other teams. Crusaders should not expect any favours from the referee. Current Barrow coach Anthony Murray was also player/coach at Eccles not too long ago and he will have Barrow fired up, but I still expect a narrow Crusaders win. I will probably speak to them both on Sunday - Do they know who you are Bearman?

#11 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

gogledd....Friendly results would suggest that we are going to struggle when the season kicks off for real. Especially so since there's five going down.

Anyway good luck with your season, I enjoyed my trip to Wrexham last season (apart from the the fact it was full of them Welsh types) and will be there again this season.

Our friendly results have been a bit more positive but as you say they are friendlies and held coaches shape the team. We have recruited well (Offerdahl, Wild, the Ashall brothers, Platt) and have Stuart Reardon coming back to fitness after a long injury. Chatting with Clive Griffiths after our Doncaster friendly he admitted he has a selection headache.

Five going down is not good news - particularly as 4 went up in 2012; you'd think the RFL would have better strategic management than that! Plus the fact there seems to be no thought gone into the remaining 13 pro clubs that will end up in Championship 1 - its all been about the 2 leagues of 12, the top 24 clubs. I do worry about the finances for those in Championship 1.

I hope you come to Wrexham again this season and enjoy our warm Welsh welcome.  Were having a "meet and greet" team this season (a la RLWC2013) so introduce yourself and I'll pop along to make sure your enjoying your visit. I normally sell the 50/50 tickets inside the ground, so I am easy to spot!

#12 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Gareth Hewer is a Whitehaven lad and I know him fairly well from refereeing my club - Eccles. He will be officiating the game as honestly as possible, just as he would if he was in charge of any other teams. Crusaders should not expect any favours from the referee. Current Barrow coach Anthony Murray was also player/coach at Eccles not too long ago and he will have Barrow fired up, but I still expect a narrow Crusaders win. I will probably speak to them both on Sunday - Do they know who you are Bearman?

Well, my name is on my posts.
Cru will win and Barrow will lose the penalty count and have at least one "try" chalked off.
Have a look at the Barrow Forum topic " just when you thought it was safe" to see what others think.

Edited by bearman, 12 February 2014 - 01:29 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Fair enough mate - you are entitled to your opinion, but as much as I think some referees are bad, I never  question their integrity. Fans of most clubs have a referee who they think is biased against them. I will be in the Turf before the game. I think I have met you before Ron. I have watched many games at Barrow over the years (Salford, Crusaders in various forms and London Skolars a couple of years back on a Wednesday night) and got to know a few people. You might know Dean Shaw (ex Eccles player) who is a school teacher from Newcastle, and I am sure you will know Peter Wilson. Eccles' current coach - Paul Raftery was a player for you not too long ago, and if you are a certain age, like I am, you might remember former Eccles players Stewart Williams and Kenny Marshall playing for Barrow.

#14 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

As a Bulldog fan I am really looking forward to my trip to watch us play Crusaders at the end of March. Good luck this season, its going to be interesting!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#15 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Piggy's mate. I was at the championships grand final last season and was impressed with the noise and the atmosphere the Bulldogs fans brough to the occasion. If you can bring that along to the racecourse it should make for a cracking day.  Crusaders fans generally meet up before and after the games in the Turf Hotel, Mold Road which is at the ground itself. We have initiated a new group of "meet and greet" volunteers (like the RLWC2013 Team 13) so there should be someone to help if you need it. If in doubt go to the Bamford Suite entrance near the turnstile and ask - someone will be there to help. Looking forward to your supporters making the trip to Wales.

#16 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

As a Bulldog fan I am really looking forward to my trip to watch us play Crusaders at the end of March. Good luck this season, its going to be interesting!

I've heard about the good support from Batley, that should be a good day at the Racecourse

#17 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Thanks we travel well and look forwatd to your hospitality and a bit of banter

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#18 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:59 AM

I'm looking forward to the game at your place piggys mate. Always had a soft spot for Batley. I get over there when I can when my teams - Crusaders and Eccles are not playing. Last time I was there was the Challenge cup tie with London and Lewis Palfrey, a mate of mine, played for you. Couple of decent pubs in town and Mount Pleasant is a neat little ground now but I still miss the late 70's and early 80's when a local baker made the best Meat & Potato pies I have ever tasted!

#19 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Well I was right about the result and the penalty count.
But I owe Mr Hewer an apology. Barrow were the most indisciplined team ( Platt excepted)
The best team won and I've no doubt you will go well this year.
Not only have you the best fans in the league you also have a good team too!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#20 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

What happened with the Platt incident Ron. I turned away for a few seconds and it was all over and the red card was out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users