Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another season new memories

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

It's a few days before the season starts but who in the past over the many years of watching club has been the favourite player or moment of a season/game been remember and why? Just a topic i stole from another forum..

#2 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Danny Mauns try against Leigh in the Northern Rail Cup semi final for me. Cherry on top of the cake of that game. All the fans together, a top performance and really the start of a great time in the clubs history. 

#3 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

In general i dont think that there are many players who put as much effort into every game as Johnny Campbell. When he's been left out for parts of the season he's worked hard and got back in. He hasn't left the club in a sulk like some have over the years for not gettin on the team sheet for a few games.

as for individual moments

- the last minutes of the Northern Rail cup final in 2010. (Alex Brown)

- George Flanagan's drop goal to knock featherstone out of the playoffs last season.

- Bretherton's great try against Leigh in last years Playoffs.

- Johnny Campbell's last minute try up hill against Halifax last season which earnt us a draw

They're the ones off the top of my head

#4 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Always liked our play off game at hilton park in the days of rugby league raw.

leigh were constantly aiming towards promotion but time and again lowly batley were eager to take the spoils.

Lythesy always played well against leigh and after a powerful performance managed to side step and ghost under the posts for an audacious try.

all the bulldogs raced in to take a mock photo with lythesey turning the ball sideways to impersonate a photographer. All in front of 300 voiceferous batley fans in the sun!!!!!

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#5 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

I think the semi-final win at Leigh was probably the most complete performance I have ever seen from a Batley team. From desperate defence, to counter attack rugby to complete domination in the final quarter. A quite unbelievable game. 

Having said that, the extra time at Featherstone last season is probably the most exciting and nerve tingling eight minutes of rugby I have ever attended, and the realisation that Flanagan's drop had gone over was the most joyous moment I can ever recall at a Batley match, moreso than 'that' Brown try in the final.

#6 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Gary shillabeers tackle on Wayne mchugh (I think) in the relegation play off against dewsbury in widnes. I reckon we would have lost without it and it set the foundations for where we are today.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#7 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Theres been so many of the last 26 years or so ive been watching - top 3 for me are -

The last minute try at Blackpool in the NRC final - only time ive ever cried at a rugby game (was close to tears after the GF last year though to be fair)

Tommos second try against Sheffield in the mud in the regal trophy in 93(?), always sticks out in my mind, another great win against the odds that.

Lat one was when we beat Dewsbury 10-6 at Headingley due to either the mount or crown flatt being frozen - was a bit like a cup final with the neutral venue and was a great atmosphere, Lee Bargate bringing the house down with a cracking winning try.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#8 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Ashley lindsay playing at loose picking the ball up at the base of the scrum, using Ronnie Laughton as a dummy runner and hounding up the hill until, with his last breath a hugh handoff catapulted him over the line. Against Barrow at the Mount a few seasons ago

Edited by Zuehb Zaki, 12 February 2014 - 01:17 PM.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#9 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

1. Keith Rayne's hatrick try in the snow under the top sticks against Oldham (Regal Trophy i think)....the commentary on the club DVD is classic with even GFDU getting excited by the end.....

2.Glen's try against Sheffield Eagles as posted previously by BTJ,i think he slid in from 10 metres out through the mud.

3.Lee Hanlon's try against Leigh at the old Hilton Park in the end of season playoffs (1994ish?) after Leigh had just got promoted to the old 1st division....Hugh Gumbs and Shaun Wilkinson ripped their backline to shreds that day but we were hanging on until Hanlon jinked through and scored under the posts....(i believe Nigel Craven made his debut that day).

obviously Alex Brown's try at Blackpool was a special moment but these just stick in my mind from over the years....

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#10 phildog

phildog
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Have to agree with the Oldham win, also our centenary victory over Fulham was quite an occasion. Henry Oulton is a standout player for me, bit stroppy and temperamental, sorry H I know you follow the forum, but when his head was in the right place he was inspirational, remember numerous snow-seeking up and unders which came down with him under 'em and a number of scores coming from 'em. Tommo of course was an inspiration. Malcolm Shuttleworth scoring the only points of the game in the 1964 Challenge Cup tie at Halifax from Geldard's long upfield punt, and a less savoury event was Geldard having his leg broken in a spear tackle against Cas at the Mount. The match at Don Valley when Hanlon and Cass had just joined and we led at half-time...going to Headingley to watch Gibbo make his international debut with the lads from The George, long range uphill tries from Martin Savage, John Jones. Too much old stuff? Then I have to salivate over Brev's try at Leigh, if that had been Ryan Hall in a test match the whole of the press would have been all over it, this one was as good as anything.

#11 RogerI

RogerI
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

I like it Phildog, even the old stuff.

Back in I think it was 1963 going to Craven Park Hull in the Rl cup and beating HKR who had bought two class players, the score was something like 11-5 and going around the back of the stand where the changing rooms where, the Batley lads where singing "When the Red Red Robins come bop bopping along" what a classic.

Albert Lyles took the supporters down and was going to stay, but bus company(YWD) where on strike so he had to get back to cover some special routes for them.

I have only been back supporting since about 2009, fell ut with it at the time of Lindsey and summer rugby.

Cheers Roger.

#12 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

the new half back pairing of tommy gall and preecy against a very strong barrow side who we destroyed. tommy,s 70 yard run uphill to score one of his four that day was the icing on the cake brilliant day.

#13 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

My greatest memory is when we played away at fev on the last game of the season when we had to win to to avoid being religated & ash linsay throwing his boots into the supporting crowd...

#14 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Surprised that the three wins at Fev don't feature higher:

2002? - The 32-30 win in the play-offs - best game of rugby I've ever seen.

The win to avoid relegation with Mennell's wonder try.

The golden point win there last season - pure drama.

#15 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

1.  Paul Geary scoring two tries against World Champions Widnes away in the Challenge Cup;  one more than Martin Offiah scored on the day.

2.  Paul Storey nailing said wonder winger in the same match to stop what looked like a certain try.

3.  A young Carl Gibson scoring a very determined try against Wigan in a cup match played at Bolton.

Both games lost against top class opposition, but great individual efforts.

#16 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Jay Duffys drop goal to beat leigh in play offs at Hilton park , 2006 ,

#17 greensman01

greensman01
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

In the early sixties (63?) we beat 'fax away at Thrum Hall in the first round of the cup 0-3 through a Malcolm Shuttleworth try and then had over 11000 at the Mount for the second round against the then mighty Hunslet. Hull KR went on to wi the cup that year and we drew them away in the following years first round - and beat them 13 - ?? with a young full back called Alan Warner kicking 5 goals. The second round draw was once again against Hunslet  ( with Gunney, Gabbitas, Preece, Griffiths etc) but this time away at Parkside - they beat us again and went on to win the cup   -   great first round memories though!

Gallant Youths at the time included  Alan Warner, Peter Bateson,  Gordon Smith, Joe Ireland, Malcolm Shuttleworth, Billy Illingworth, Ian Geldard,  Oliver, Ted Sharpe, several Barlows, Joe Fryer, Jack Briggs, David Foster, Peter Fox 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users