Photo
- - - - -

16/02/14 - Salford Red Devils v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford Red Devils (17 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Salford win

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#42 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Forward pass or offside.

18-14 FT

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#43 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Goal kicks cost us! Happy with the commitment and second half, bring on Bradford! :-)
Posted Image

#44 John Connor

John Connor
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Not much between the teams. Salford mostly dominated in the first,Wakefield in the second.
Good turn out from both sets of fans. Reasons for optimism for both sides.
Hope to see lots of close games like this one this season.

#45 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Good effort from Wakey in the second half. Once they started playing a more expansive game, Salford struggled and McShane looked the sharpest player on the pitch. Impressed with Tautai too, particularly the offloading.

Salford never really clicked but still did just about enough to deserve the win. Way too many errors and penalties in the second half. Not sure how much losing Chase in the first half affected them. Tommy Lee moved into the halfs with Stu Howarth going into hooker full time. Howarth look very good first half with some big hits but faded in the second, That could have just been McShane stepping his game up though.

For Salford, Smith looked pretty tidy throughout, Hock was a handful and there were some nice runs on debut from Johnson on the wing. Harrison Hansen grafts alright but jeez, someone needs to get him to pass the ball occasionally.

Salford didn't look a top 4 side but you wouldn't expect them too at this stage. I thought Wakefield showed enough signs that they could be looking up towards the playoffs rather than back down at the relegation spots at the end of the year. 

Sort of promising for both sides. Salford start with a win and a record crowd but came far too close to defeat after an easy first half. Wakefield really came together after the break and once the new recruits bed in, who's to say they won't finish above the Dr Ks boys. They looked the more cohesive outfit today, it just took them too long to get going.

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Nobby said that in the past Salford would have found a way to lose the game, today they found a way to win it.

I presume, from other comments he made, he was talking about Salford's scrambling defence when under a lot of pressure in the second half.

Came over as a good game with a good atmosphere on the radio.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#47 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Whats Chase done?

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#48 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Wakefield on the end of the refereeing decisions in the 1st half and it was only a matter of time that Salford took their tries. Still Wakefield created three clear cut scoring opportunities down Salfords left, Fox juggled two try scoring passes and that allowed the sliding defence to get across to make the tackle. The third was a lovely offload back inside to an unmarked Mathers but he dropped it cold.

The second half saw Child penalising Salford and Wakefield scored 3 tries but crucially only kicked 1 conversion. Lauitiiti had a try disallowed and Lyne dropped a pass with the line wide open.

3 tries each
Better to come from both teams

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Whats Chase done?

he had a problem either with ankle or knee, it wasn't clear which from the radio commentary. Had to be helped off the field and was hobbling at the end as the players did a lap.

#50 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Chase has a calf injury, going for a scan tomorrow, could be out for anything between 1=6 weeks.

as for the game, Salford looked good in the first half, the speed of the passes and the play the ball had Wakefield on the back foot. With the dominance should have scored more. Chase injury meant Howarth took over at dummy half and his loan to Saints hasn't made him quicker. Salford failed to clear the ruck and Wakefield took full advantage of it playing the ball quickly. Poor discipline could have cost Salford but Sykes was very poor with the boot.

Both teams will improve, nice to see Salford finally making tackles and if we can sort out the leaky wing we should get tighter.

Really pleased with the crowd 7,200 and no free tickets.

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Chase has a calf injury, going for a scan tomorrow, could be out for anything between 1=6 weeks.

as for the game, Salford looked good in the first half, the speed of the passes and the play the ball had Wakefield on the back foot. With the dominance should have scored more. Chase injury meant Howarth took over at dummy half and his loan to Saints hasn't made him quicker. Salford failed to clear the ruck and Wakefield took full advantage of it playing the ball quickly. Poor discipline could have cost Salford but Sykes was very poor with the boot.

Both teams will improve, nice to see Salford finally making tackles and if we can sort out the leaky wing we should get tighter.

Really pleased with the crowd 7,200 and no free tickets.

That was a very good turnout.  Koukash on Twitter said he was hoping for 7,500 and he nearly got it too!

Glad to hear that under Nobby Salford have finally learned how to defend, even when one player down on the interchange bench. 

I heard the Red Devils flew in as the pre match entertainment!  Koukash knows how to do things properly, that's for sure.  Glad his Devils rugby team held on for the win.  A win's a win but I'm sure everyone concerned will want a more convincing outcome next time around.

#52 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

That was a very good turnout.  Koukash on Twitter said he was hoping for 7,500 and he nearly got it too!

Glad to hear that under Nobby Salford have finally learned how to defend, even when one player down on the interchange bench. 

I heard the Red Devils flew in as the pre match entertainment!  Koukash knows how to do things properly, that's for sure.  Glad his Devils rugby team held on for the win.  A win's a win but I'm sure everyone concerned will want a more convincing outcome next time around.

Wakefield lost Keinhorst earlier than Salford lost Chase so interchange was even.

Didn't see the Red Devils but did get sick to death of hearing the most depressing rendition of 'Bad Moon Rising' that I've ever heard.

There were a good 1,200 + there from Wakefield

#53 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

I like the version of Bad Moon Rising, real duel with the devil cover version.

The Paras all landed in the stadium, saw some fire eaters and the devil mascot is just an ego trip :)

The club have made huge in roads In 12months, hope the progress continues.

#54 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Wakefield lost Keinhorst earlier than Salford lost Chase so interchange was even.

Didn't see the Red Devils but did get sick to death of hearing the most depressing rendition of 'Bad Moon Rising' that I've ever heard.

There were a good 1,200 + there from Wakefield

sounds like they are trying to touch base with both sets of soccer fans?

#55 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

The version of Bad Moon Rising is by Mourning Ritual as heard in the Walking Dead trailer.

#56 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

The version of Bad Moon Rising is by Mourning Ritual as heard in the Walking Dead trailer.

Liked it for the first 20 seconds but by the 5th time of listening I was ready to stick forks in my ears and cut my own throat.

#57 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Was far more effective in an enclosed room at the Lowry Theatre than it was into the open air arena of the AJ Bell Stadium.

It was a little bit alarming,after seeing Higham dominate the ruck at Warrington in the pre-season game,to see McShane do the same in the second half.We have the pleasure of Mr Roby and St Helens next up at home.

I still await the opportunity to see the Brian Noble coached Salford side actually win any second half in a competitive Super league game.( We did manage the feat at Warrington - pre-season.) 

Full credit to Wakefield.I thought they would have their minds on Thursdays game v Bradford,particularly as they were 18-0 behind at the break and their 3 from overseas only arrived on Monday morning. 

Well done to both sets of supporters for the support they gave their teams.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#58 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

Very poor.

All the hype in the world and they barely scraped past 7,000.  And 5,000 of them were from Wakefield.

Frankly, the people of Salford don't deserve that team.  When oh when will the fans come bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's me.  I'm done.

#59 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Just had a listen to the bad moon rising song, it's ok, although I haven't had it a few times over I suppose. Glad to see Salford win, would like them to do well this year. Promising crowd as well, with a start like that 10k crowds must be a distinct possibility against bigger clubs.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#60 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Very poor.

All the hype in the world and they barely scraped past 7,000. And 5,000 of them were from Wakefield.

Frankly, the people of Salford don't deserve that team. When oh when will the fans come bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

didn't they sell 3k season tickets? Therefore your stats don't add up!

Seeing as it was double their usual average I dont see how anyone can consider this to be a bad attendance?

Whats your agenda?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users