TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

16/02/14 - Widnes Vikings v London Broncos KO 3pm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (21 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. London Broncos (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote

#61 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

thats so 3 seasons ago, haven't you noticed that we have 3 more new investors on the board for this season.......

not really investment though is it?

More like charity!

#62 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Ignore him.

He tipped London.

He supports Bradford.

All must be wonderful in his world tonight.

good job I dont gamble! Lol

and I am not a bradford fan.....

#63 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Well played Widnes, The London gameplan is essentially carry out the basics well, Hope the opposition has an off day and for it to be close in the final 20 mins. None of the three conditions happened with the game killed off in the final 20 minutes of the first half.

For opposition fans think of a London game as more akin to a mid-table Championship club taking you on in the Challenge Cup. It's a potential banana skin only if you let it be so. Tony Rea will no doubt get some flack from the Barnet believers but he had broad shoulders and would rather take this from the few than have it directed against the Young players who are having it hard as it is.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#64 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

good job I dont gamble! Lol

and I am not a bradford fan.....

Who cares?

#65 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

London will take a good few spankings this season, nothing for Widnes to take from this other than a win.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#66 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

London will take a good few spankings this season, nothing for Widnes to take from this other than a win.

You were there? Great!

#67 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

You were there? Great!

I wasn't there but I know a mis-match when I see one.

Read my many past posts on Widnes, I am not a basher, but I am a realist.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#68 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I wasn't there but I know a mis-match when I see one.

Read my many past posts on Widnes, I am not a basher, but I am a realist.

No thanks. Never had trouble dropping off to sleep, I'm a grafter.

The point is, what Widnes can "take away from this" cannot be discerned purely from your armchair.  It's a bit of a lazy and cliched thing to say. It sometimes rings true but like I say, you can't really make that call unless you went.

We were at a canter. It was our first game and we no doubt got a lot of the rust out of our system without harming or hurting any of our players. This is good for morale. There's quite a bit to take from the game. We tried stuff, we got used to each other again in a (semi) competitive environment, our new players no doubt learned about their team mates more than can be done on a training pitch and we're one game on looking like a real team. From a competition stance, it wasn't much of one, but it was a very good run out. From the fans perspective, its great to get the first points on the board. Tickle got 10/11 kicks from all over the park. Brown's kicking was superb. Spirits are high. We'll take that away.

#69 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

The point is, what Widnes can "take away from this" cannot be discerned purely from your armchair. It's a bit of a lazy and cliched thing to say. It sometimes rings true but like I say, you can't really make that call unless you went.

We were at a canter. It was our first game and we no doubt got a lot of the rust out of our system without harming or hurting any of our players. This is good for morale. There's quite a bit to take from the game. We tried stuff, we got used to each other again in a (semi) competitive environment, our new players no doubt learned about their team mates more than can be done on a training pitch and we're one game on looking like a real team. From a competition stance, it wasn't much of one, but it was a very good run out. From the fans perspective, its great to get the first points on the board. Tickle got 10/11 kicks from all over the park. Brown's kicking was superb. Spirits are high. We'll take that away.

maybe a few more 'fans' should show up to the games to justify your SL place!

Widnes add nothing to SL FACT!

#70 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

The point is, what Widnes can "take away from this" cannot be discerned purely from your armchair.  It's a bit of a lazy and cliched thing to say. It sometimes rings true but like I say, you can't really make that call unless you went.

The important phrase in there is "we were at a canter", just from that simple phrase you back up my original post.

#71 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

You seem to be labouring under the false impression that I'm ever going to bother wasting page after page debating with someone with the mental capacity of a Jeremy Kyle show guest.

Don't.

#72 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

The important phrase in there is "we were at a canter", just from that simple phrase you back up my original post.

Only if that's the one single thing I said in my post and ignored everything else, yes. I'm not saying it was a great contest. But then, there were things to take away from it because it wasn't.

You've basically fallen back on a lazy cliche and are too proud to admit you don't know enough to have an informed opinion on it.

#73 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

I hope it was a case of Widnes being very good rather than Broncos being that bad. Obviously the Broncos side is poor and will get plenty of hammerings this season but they can't have expected Widnes to be one of the bullies. Quite a few folk had Widnes down for relegation (foolishly in my view).

#74 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Putting the word "fact" in capital letters is hardly a convincing argument. Self-evidently, it is not a "fact". I happen not to be a  Widnes fan but your arguments against them display an ignorance and lack of education which I find disheartening. They merit their place. I would hope to see London survive in the top tier but, like many others, fear the worst for them.

#75 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Poor and unacceptable really, the only 'positive' you could say was it was the first game and shows the board how much improvement is needed in the team. Well done to Widnes. 

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Steady! The crowd was a few hundred up on the same fixture last year.

There are no clubs at the moment that will add any more to SL than Widnes, what Widnes need is to try to get back to the player production line they once had.

#77 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

Steady! The crowd was a few hundred up on the same fixture last year.

There are no clubs at the moment that will add any more to SL than Widnes, what Widnes need is to try to get back to the player production line they once had.

Steady progress on the players front. 4 academy products in the starting 17 today, hopefully add 2 or so a year as we progress.

Where's that ignore button again? Yipyee's anti Widnes tripe is very boring now ;)

#78 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure when I'll get to pick up a copy of League Express, could someone please post the London squad from yesterday's game, including squad numbers?

Cheers.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#79 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Steady progress on the players front. 4 academy products in the starting 17 today, hopefully add 2 or so a year as we progress.

Where's that ignore button again? Yipyee's anti Widnes tripe is very boring now ;)

In a game that lacks quality players the great myth is that everyone can just go round buying each others.

The other great myth that appears when the game is up on this myth, is that once in Superleague top class juniors will be queuing at the promoted club academy gates.

Then there's the promoted to SL in a new stadia myth where crowds will double, treble or more than quadruple.

For reality it's worth taking a long hard look at Widnes. The RFL/SLE were prepared to accept far worse crowds at London for the sake of the professional player production line.

That came at a great cost to an individual, now I assume the individuals bankrolling Widnes know that investment in players, rather than covering losses will make the club a valuable assett to SL. Good luck.

#80 Stooper

Stooper
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure when I'll get to pick up a copy of League Express, could someone please post the London squad from yesterday's game, including squad numbers?

Cheers.

1 Nesiasi Mataitonga

3 Jordan Atkins

24 Mason Caton-Brown

4 Thomas Minns

27 Jamie O'Callaghan

26 Tony Gigot

14 Mikey Bishay

28 Carl Forster

9 Scott Moore

10 Olsi Krasniqi

11 Mike McMeeken

12 Matt Cook 

13 Alex Foster

Interchange: 

20 James Cunningham

17 Will Lovell

18 George Griffin

21 Joel Wicks 

Edited by Stooper, 17 February 2014 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users