Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/02/14 - Widnes Vikings v London Broncos KO 3pm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (21 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. London Broncos (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote

#81 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Championship crowd...disgrace to SL!

When was the last Championship crowd that was as high as 5,300?

#82 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Trying to turn this into an anti-Widnes thread is just pathetic. Not that it matters anymore under the new system anyway but all we need to be is one of the top 12 Super League clubs. There are more than two clubs that will post lower crowds than us over the next year. 

As for the game, it is hard to read anything into it from a Widnes perspective. Due to a poor ticketing system (that had a few people walk away) I didn't get into the game until it was 0-6. For about the first 10-15 minutes we didn't look massively better than London and they were making just as many yards as us. Once the flood gates opened it felt very much like a friendly in intensity from a Widnes POV. Probably most worrying from a London perspective is that we had a few gears to go up into; you'd have to worry that they could see the first 100 point figure in SL when a 2nd gear Widnes were a dropped pass from hitting 70. 

What looked most promising was the link ups between Mellor, Brown, Hanbury and Tickle (who was my MOM). The stability appears to be benefiting the partnerships and keeping them fit will be crucial to our chances this year. I'm still a bit worried in the forwards, where I think we seem a bit lightweight.

We'll know much more about Widnes after the Huddersfield game in two weeks time. I fear we already know about London, they look a shoe in to be Halifax from 2002 all over again. 

#83 Cookiepuss

Cookiepuss
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Widnes do look to be a couple of big props short. There's plenty of mobility and the makings of an excellent back three in the pack, but not enough heavy hitters in the front row options.

Tickle's goalkicking was a big plus. Ten from 11 was an excellent return including several from the touchline.

Kevin Brown also kicked well for position, often dropping it in behind the covering winger after shaping to move the ball wide to bring the winger back up towards the defensive line.

#84 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Trying to turn this into an anti-Widnes thread is just pathetic. Not that it matters anymore under the new system anyway but all we need to be is one of the top 12 Super League clubs. There are more than two clubs that will post lower crowds than us over the next year. 

As for the game, it is hard to read anything into it from a Widnes perspective. Due to a poor ticketing system (that had a few people walk away) I didn't get into the game until it was 0-6.

I saw something on twitter about that, what was the issue?

#85 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

not really investment though is it?

More like charity!

looking forward to championship rugby are you????

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#86 Cookiepuss

Cookiepuss
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Massive queue at the on-day ticket window. Don't know whether this was through people deciding last-minute to go, or those that hadn't got round to getting their season tickets validated in time and buying tickets instead. Whatever it was the queue went back a long way.

#87 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

When was the last Championship crowd that was as high as 5,300?

not sure but it was at widnes.........

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#88 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

what i can say about the performance was that we were focussed and very clinical for the full 80 minutes, probably the best performance since our return to super league, the spine of the team, hanbury, brown, mellor, white/craven and cahill were superb, not to mention the immaculate danny tickle. for the first time in a long time i am really confident about this season and feel that we will be challenging for the top 8 come setember. 

#89 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I saw something on twitter about that, what was the issue?

Widnes have tried to move away from people buying tickets on the day. In the past you could have purchased tickets at every turnstile but that hasn't been the case for years. For a while after, they sold tickets in the gym at the corner of the West and South stands and this was incredibly quick. You went in, said which stand you wanted and paid, easy as that. 

For some reason they decided to move this to the ticket office which you would think makes sense. However, twice now, once at the end of last season and again yesterday I have been in a queue of maybe only 50-100 people that has taken 15 minutes to clear resulting in people missing the kick off. It is a size of queue that would have routinely been the case at most of the turnstiles back in the day. I genuinely don't know what is taking so long, whether the staff are just slow or what but it is frustrating and yesterday I saw maybe 8 people just decide to walk away because the game had started. Not huge numbers but just silly. There was a separate queue of people whose ST's weren't working and this didn't seem to be moving at all.

Widnes obviously want people to prebuy (and it is cheaper) but this situation is amateurish and needs sorting out in future. 

#90 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Match day ticket purchasing at Widnes is a shambles tbf....i think it puts people off, even home fans, from coming again....you should be able to just rock up and pay on the turnstile, no other club that i know makes you walk round to one end, queue, buy a ticket, then have to walk round the other side of the ground to queue up again for the relevant turnstile for your fans

Edited by chuffer, 17 February 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#91 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Match day ticket purchasing at Widnes is a shambles tbf....i think it puts people off, even home fans, from coming again....you should be able to just rock up and pay on the turnstile, no other club that i know makes you walk round to one end, queue, buy a ticket, then have to walk round the other side of the ground to queue up again for the relevant turnstile for your fans

or you could just buy a ticket in advance??

Or is that too easy?

#92 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

looking forward to championship rugby are you????

no as its not on the box anymore! !

But I may take a short trip to stinky widnes to watch them next year!

#93 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

or you could just buy a ticket in advance??

Or is that too easy?

Doubt most would bother........

#94 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Doubt most would bother........

dont get it myself....you wouldn't roll up to an airport and buy a ticket for a plane....or a pop concert.....or theatre....etc

even cinemas theres a chance you would be queueing/ left disappointed!

Maybe RL should follow soccer and go all ticket for all games!!

#95 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I thought the crowd at Widnes wasnt too bad given that the Broncos game will be their lowest crowd.

London need to win a few home games starting next Saturday

#96 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I thought the crowd at Widnes wasnt too bad given that the Broncos game will be their lowest crowd.

London need to win a few home games starting next Saturday

thats it though its not too bad....therefore not too good!

Given very little away support its a true gague of Widnes's support! 5K is not enough for elite RL

They should give up the dream and drop to a level they can compete at!

#97 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

dont get it myself....you wouldn't roll up to an airport and buy a ticket for a plane....or a pop concert.....or theatre....etc

even cinemas theres a chance you would be queueing/ left disappointed!

Maybe RL should follow soccer and go all ticket for all games!!

Firstly, I doubt that you "roll up to an airport" every couple of weeks.

Secondly, not everyone wants to pre-book. I won't because I live over 100 miles from our ground. I can't guarantee that, after a day at work, I'll be in the mood for a 2-hour plus drive there and the return journey after the game (though I usually am). I won't get home until after midnight. So, no, I don't want to pre-book.

Thirdly, I did set off for the London game last season, only to get stuck in an awful traffic jam on the M62 at Brighouse. I turned back when it was obvious I wouldn't make the game. (I wasn't alone - Jodie Broughton actually missed the game and reports suggested that Marwan was not happy).

So, to sum up. I will pre-book airline flights, but I won't pre-book match tickets because I can't guarantee that I will make it to the game. I'm even happy to pay the £2 extra for paying on the day.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#98 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

thats it though its not too bad....therefore not too good!

Given very little away support its a true gague of Widnes's support! 5K is not enough for elite RL

They should give up the dream and drop to a level they can compete at!

So an 8 team Super League then?

Salford, London, Castleford, Huddersfield and Widnes have all posted crowds beneath that figure in the last season and Wakefield almost certainly will this season, maybe even Bradford.

Of course if you want to go far back enough there aren't many SL sides than haven't posted a figure lower than that. 

#99 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Firstly, I doubt that you "roll up to an airport" every couple of weeks.

Secondly, not everyone wants to pre-book. I won't because I live over 100 miles from our ground. I can't guarantee that, after a day at work, I'll be in the mood for a 2-hour plus drive there and the return journey after the game (though I usually am). I won't get home until after midnight. So, no, I don't want to pre-book.

Thirdly, I did set off for the London game last season, only to get stuck in an awful traffic jam on the M62 at Brighouse. I turned back when it was obvious I wouldn't make the game. (I wasn't alone - Jodie Broughton actually missed the game and reports suggested that Marwan was not happy).

So, to sum up. I will pre-book airline flights, but I won't pre-book match tickets because I can't guarantee that I will make it to the game. I'm even happy to pay the £2 extra for paying on the day.

This. People often decide on the day whether to go or not.

It is not difficult to sell a few hundred tickets at the gate, we used to manage it easily but for some reason have overcomplicated things in the past season or so making it a nightmare to pay on the day.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been touch and go about going a game until setting off at the last minute and arriving at say 2:55. At Widnes now this would mean you'd certainly miss the kickoff maybe even by 15 minutes if you do so. 

#100 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

So an 8 team Super League then?

Salford, London, Castleford, Huddersfield and Widnes have all posted crowds beneath that figure in the last season and Wakefield almost certainly will this season, maybe even Bradford.

Of course if you want to go far back enough there aren't many SL sides than haven't posted a figure lower than that.

8k in a new stadium, 10k in and old one....

lets see at the end of the season, maybe 10 team with a couple of developing teams? Attendance wise of course.....

Widnes seems to level off at 6k...fair comment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users