League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/02/14 - Widnes Vikings v London Broncos KO 3pm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (21 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. London Broncos (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote

#101 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

who gives a toss whether we get 5000 or 50,000 we are in super league and thats all that matters, if you knew anything about rugby league you would know that even when we were world champions we only average 7 to 8000. widnes is a very small town surrounded by the much larger towns of st helens, warrington and wigan, and remember it's only 11 years ago that wire were only getting 4000 at wilderspool.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#102 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

who gives a toss whether we get 5000 or 50,000 we are in super league and thats all that matters, if you knew anything about rugby league you would know that even when we were world champions we only average 7 to 8000. widnes is a very small town surrounded by the much larger towns of st helens, warrington and wigan, and remember it's only 11 years ago that wire were only getting 4000 at wilderspool.

If you got 50,000 then you'd probably have such a wide support that you'd have far more junior clubs than Wigan and be able to turn out a squad full of British born professionals. You should know this as you are a well respected champion of junior RL. Therefore I suspect you do give a toss.

Wire's crowds were boosted by a new ground. I don't know how far Wire's support goes nowadays but it probably extends to various place. We have always hoped that Widnes can also extend their support beyond the town into the Halton area and wider areas?

As I said before, I think we need clubs that can grow the game. If they can't grow the crowds that readily then they can more than make up for that growing the player base and even though Widnes "only" averaged

7858 in 1990 that would represent a break even figure business wise.

Two years at the bottom end of SL after so many years of struggle isn't enough time to convince today's population to watch in enough numbers, or enough locals to take up the game again so you have time on your side. As the club competes better your local derbies may get better crowds too as that seems to be a problem.

Good luck and as long as we have a 12 club SL it will probably be the case the game needs Widnes, more so if that junior base grows. How is that aspect doing nowadays? Are the kids reacting to Superleague?

#103 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

parky if you look at our signings since the return to super league, they have overwhelmingly been british, ok we took 3 overseas players from crusaders but that was exceptional circumstances and as one has left we have replaced him with an english international in danny tickle, we have also given our home grown players the chance to impress in super league and the likes of paddy flynn, jack owens, adam lawton. alex gerrard and danny craven have become regular first teamers. coming through we have also played tom gilmore, grant gore, declan hulme and kieran butterworth first team game time. for me those lads are the future of the club and are a glowing example of the work being done by the academy.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#104 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

thats it though its not too bad....therefore not too good!

Given very little away support its a true gague of Widnes's support! 5K is not enough for elite RL

They should give up the dream and drop to a level they can compete at!

?

They've just won a SL game by 50 points. What would constitute "competing"?

#105 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

8k in a new stadium, 10k in and old one....

lets see at the end of the season, maybe 10 team with a couple of developing teams? Attendance wise of course.....

Widnes seems to level off at 6k...fair comment?

There is nothing fair about any of your comments, you have decided to troll a Widnes thread attacking them for getting a crowd that another 4/5 clubs will get this year, one of them the current holders of the League Leaders Shield. As for your top line well it makes absolutely no sense at all. 

What I find bizarre about your hijacking of a thread is that none of this is in anyway relevant any more. It's almost like certain people are having withdrawal symptoms back to the days when Super League places were decided by how many people you could get through the gate and how good your crowds are.

Newsflash, it doesn't any more. What is good enough for Super League is what will keep a club in Super League. The days of picking and choosing which clubs you want in are over. Market forces will eventually decide what is good enough for Super League. 

#106 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

well said michael........

#107 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

parky if you look at our signings since the return to super league, they have overwhelmingly been british, ok we took 3 overseas players from crusaders but that was exceptional circumstances and as one has left we have replaced him with an english international in danny tickle, we have also given our home grown players the chance to impress in super league and the likes of paddy flynn, jack owens, adam lawton. alex gerrard and danny craven have become regular first teamers. coming through we have also played tom gilmore, grant gore, declan hulme and kieran butterworth first team game time. for me those lads are the future of the club and are a glowing example of the work being done by the academy.

Thanks for that. Just wondered if the Superleague status of the club was encouraging a growth in Junior RL in the Widnes area. I'm old emout to seem to recall Widnes Tigers &  Widnes St.Maries?? produced many players, I may be wrong??

#108 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for that. Just wondered if the Superleague status of the club was encouraging a growth in Junior RL in the Widnes area. I'm old emout to seem to recall Widnes Tigers &  Widnes St.Maries?? produced many players, I may be wrong??

Widnes Clubs - Widnes St Maries, Halton Farnworth Hornets, Widnes West Bank, Widnes Moorfield, Halton Simms Cross, Widnes Tigers.

The first four have decent junior set ups, the last two being OA only, but happy to be corrected if wrong.  Decent production line

#109 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,972 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Widnes Clubs - Widnes St Maries, Halton Farnworth Hornets, Widnes West Bank, Widnes Moorfield, Halton Simms Cross, Widnes Tigers.

The first four have decent junior set ups, the last two being OA only, but happy to be corrected if wrong.  Decent production line

"Widnes St Maries, Halton Farnworth Hornets, Widnes West Bank, Widnes Moorfield",

Thanks for that Spidey, so only four junior clubs locally feeding the academy at the moment? I'm not having a go in any way, but it's a bit thin and is thin in a lot of other areas as well.

Heard a piece on Radio 5 live today in which there's a pressure from some quarters towards replacing traditional school sports with new sports. Rugby as a game of risk and injury was cited as something kids should not be playing. In justifying this the speaker said that many parents don't want their kids playing contact rugby nowadays.

#110 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Bit thin yes, but in terms of the size of the town itself not a bad representation. Look at Our neighbours Warrington for instance much bigger in terms of population at least treble the size however not that different in terms of junior teams

#111 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

4 junior teams for a town of 50,000 isn't too bad imo, it's always been roughly that number - even in the "glory days" and seems to adequately serve the demand.....how many junior teams are there in Cas or Wakey?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users