RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL 9's to look at inclusion of ESL clubs after Wigan request.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

icon1.png

Wigan brushed for Auckland Nines as Wayne Bennett gives event a thumbs up at launch

• PETER BADEL
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • FEBRUARY 14, 2014 10:40AM

LEGENDARY British club Wigan made attempts to play in this year’s NRL Nines as master coach Wayne Bennett today gave the pre-season tournament his seal of approval.

The NRL’s 16 clubs officially launched the Nines in Auckland today, with more than 100,000 fans set to flock to Eden Park over the weekend as interest in the inaugural event surges.

The two-day extravaganza is set to deliver a $2 million profit and such is the event’s popularity, Wigan approached tournament organisers with a request to take part in the Nines.

Their application was declined to give the event a genuine NRL feel, but NRL chief executive Dave Smith revealed the tournament could eventually spread its tentacles globally.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler and Canberra’s Ricky Stuart will be no-shows at the Nines starting tomorrow, but Newcastle counterpart Bennett hopes the tournament is here to stay.

“Everyone is talking about the Nines in Australia,” he said.

“To see all the talent in the competition in one group is pretty exceptional and that makes it exciting.

“I was part of the Sevens format a long time ago and I enjoyed that, it was a great way to start the season, all the clubs would come together in Sydney and I like this idea of coming (to Auckland).

“It had a lot of merit to it and I’m pleased I’m here, all the clubs have trained extremely hard and it’s an opportunity to come together as a group of teams.

“When it was suggested we do something like this, I was very supportive of it and I’m pleased we’re here.”

Smith said the 2014 Nines could be the first step is taking the concept to other international markets. Tournament organisers are open-minded about the prospect of English clubs, such as Wigan, Leeds and Bradford, applying for entry next year.

“We have already attracted attention and interest from the international clubs who want to be part of the format,” Smith said.

“We chose not to do that this year because we want to land this tournament but there is lots of interest.

“We’re committed to staging the Nines in Auckland for at least three years with a two-year option and I believe the event will get bigger and bigger.

“This format has a lot of potential. Once we get through the weekend, we’ll sit down with our partners and think about how we can make the event bigger and better.

“It’s a serious tournament and the event is a sellout. We will have more than 100,000 people over the two days and I believe we haven’t had a tournament sellout at Eden Park since 1992.

“We have really sparked the interest level for the greater good of rugby league.

“The NRL has a very clear strategy to expand the game and these are just some examples. The way Auckland has embraced rugby league shows how successful we can be if we try.

“We said we have a vision to expand the game and we are now implementing that strategy.”

None of the current NRL stars have experience playing nine-a-side rugby league, leaving many players scratching their heads when asked about tactics to clinch Nines supremacy.

“We have got no idea,” Sharks skipper Paul Gallen joked.

“I was talking to Corey Parker and Daly Cherry-Evans and they have no idea either.

“No-one knows what to do, we still don’t know whether we will kick long, we are the first game of the tournament so we can’t prepare.

“Our coach ‘Sharpie’ (Peter Sharp) has no idea either.”

Warriors whiz Shaun Johnson has a touch football background but admits that won’t necessarily guarantee he fires as expected this weekend.

“Like the rest of the sides we have no idea as well,” he said with a laugh.

“There’s no extra pressure for us (before their home fans).

“We’ll run with it and see what happens.”

​ http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/wigan-brushed-for-auckland-nines-as-wayne-bennett-gives-event-a-thumbs-up-at-launch/story-fni3fbgz-1226826968455

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

id rather they invite england,france,PNG etc...than clubs

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 LionelHurst

LionelHurst
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

http://allgoldsrugby...nd-top-uk-comp/

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:44 AM

under the new structure all 3 leagues are supposed to have a "magic weekend".....replace it with a 9's weekend instead

so we'd have  3 big 9's events..

the championship one 9's - 16 teams,14 champ1 teams + 2 invites (army,barla etc) held in may (blackpool)

the championship 9's - 16 teams, 12 champ teams + 4 invites (champ1 winners,3 french teams?) held in june (blackpool)

ESL 9's- 16 teams , 12 ESL teams + 4 invites ( 2 champ 9's finalists + 2 more) held in july at the Etihad

there...a summer 9's series

OLDHAM RLFC

#5 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Wayne Bennett always seems to call it right. He has the good of the game in mind at all times.

Wish I could say the same for Ricky Stuart who always seems to let the mist of his perpetual temper cloud his judgement

• mt smart likes this

#6 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

I certainly would 't want Stuart as my coach. He'd get right on my t@@s.

Give me miserable but principled Clint Eastwood ( WB ) every time.

#7 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Ricky Stuart is just a grumpy so and so. I'd hate to be round his house at Christmas.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think the NRL are right to keep it to themselves for the first year at least. If the event is a success and becomes established, then invite other clubs and national sides to add a little extra excitement.

Wigan would have a lot to live up to as a guest club, considering their performance in the World Sevens all those years ago.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'm baffled people want to replace the actually-quite-successful-and-high-profile with a 9s tournament.  Just baffled.  What more gimmicks can we inflict on our season?

But, I'm very taken with the idea of English clubs being invited to the NRL 9s.  I think for it to work properly though you can't do it if the SL season has already started.

• MamaKangaroo likes this
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

which it will have...and always will have...

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Not sure about that Trojan.

Bennett stood Justin Hodges down from first grade when he heard he had signed for the Roosters and banged on about the Broncos investment in him as a player but said he was dropped on form  ;)

He was the same Coach that signed  Mundine from the Dragons and paraded him around on TV wearing a Broncos Jersey mid season while he was still at the Dragons.

The Coach that would not do any media interviews or promotions because a Journalist trod on his toes once.

I find it unusual that an ex Australian Coach can volunteer his services to another Country to plot the downfall of his home country.

When the Kangaroos were beaten 24-0 in a bizarre Tri Nations final, there were allegations of misconduct, boozing and other things but what came of it?
Mr Bennett slipped back into Australia via the back door and avoided the media.

Still "Benny" is a good bloke they say.

Edited by boxhead, 14 February 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Well if they're going to invite SL clubs over, then I hope it would all of them and not just the big clubs. Also if we're looking at having one over here, I'd have it in January and take it to a new area rather than the M62. 

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

Wayne Bennett understands the importance of the sport having a credible international profile. In most sports, this wouldn't make him a remarkable figure, but in Australian Rugby League... :rolleyes: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

A World 9s series would be interesting. One in NZ and one in Manchester. Could spark a bit of international footy at the same time.
Posted Image

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

English Clubs should set up their own tournament and see how it goes.

#16 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

'I find it unusual that an ex Australian Coach can volunteer his services to another Country to plot the downfall of his home country.'

This is exactly my point Wayne Bennett is prepared to put the interests of the game ( helping NZ win the previous WC ) ahead of his own national interest.

I grant you he can be a misery, but we all have our weaknesses.

Come to think of it I'm a bit of a misery myself.

Edited by Trojan horse, 14 February 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#17 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

English Clubs should set up their own tournament and see how it goes.

Didn't we do that a few years ago for a year or two?
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Didn't we do that a few years ago for a year or two?

What has really got the NRL clubs interested is the possibility of serious prize money. I'd expect a similar opportunity would see Superleague clubs getting serious about it too.

#19 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Would love to see Magic weekend replaced with a 9's tournament. SL clubs plus a few invites from Champ and International (likes of US, Italy etc).

Winner could get a spot at Auckland 9's!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Would love to see Magic weekend replaced with a 9's tournament. SL clubs plus a few invites from Champ and International (likes of US, Italy etc).

Winner could get a spot at Auckland 9's!

Does that not just completely devalue our 9s competition before it's even started?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users