League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL 9's to look at inclusion of ESL clubs after Wigan request.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Does that not just completely devalue our 9s competition before it's even started?

Yes maybe, I did think that could be a problem. But depends how it's managed, if their winner also got a spot at ours then it wouldn't, it would just add interest. My thought was that by adding the extra incentive of potential prize money you also get clubs to take seriously.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

we should send GB to the auckland 9s

its not practical to send our club sides cos super league has already started...

sending a GB side puts less stress on the clubs and would be good PR for the GB brand..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

we should send GB to the auckland 9s

its not practical to send our club sides cos super league has already started...

sending a GB side puts less stress on the clubs and would be good PR for the GB brand..

How would that work though?

A team made of of several countries competing against Club sides?

Next it will be France and PNG and the tournament that is supposed to be a Club game is something else all together.

#24 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'm disappointed to see they are going to  play the 9's in NZ for the next 3 years.

No disrespect to NZ but the growth potential there is very limited

Limited by The popularity/power of NZRU and by population size.

Population of UK              63.7 million

Population of Australia     22.7 million

Population of NZ                4.4 million

Population of China       1,351 million

RU have control of Japan, but  there are countries that don't have successful sporting teams that could build a name for themselves in RL's small pond.

NZ is a very small market in global terms, how will a focus of resources on NZ grow the Brand  significantly ?

Edited by Trojan horse, 15 February 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Next it will be France and PNG and the tournament that is supposed to be a Club game is something else all together.

how old are you??? serious question

OLDHAM RLFC

#26 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well if they're going to invite SL clubs over, then I hope it would all of them and not just the big clubs. Also if we're looking at having one over here, I'd have it in January and take it to a new area rather than the M62.

Call me a wimp, but as much as I love RL I wouldn't want to sit for 7 or 8 hours in the cold, wind and rain of a British winter.

The Auckland nines works as a pre season hit out in the southern hemisphere summer, but to hold a tournament over here, mid season in our summer would disrupt our domestic calendar.

How many coaches would field strong teams if they are trying to avoid dropping into the second tier of 8 or were looking to get to the GF?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Call me a wimp, but as much as I love RL I wouldn't want to sit for 7 or 8 hours in the cold, wind and rain of a British winter.

The Auckland nines works as a pre season hit out in the southern hemisphere summer, but to hold a tournament over here, mid season in our summer would disrupt our domestic calendar.

How many coaches would field strong teams if they are trying to avoid dropping into the second tier of 8 or were looking to get to the GF?

If there was a good wedge of cash involved for the winners, then I reckon they'd take it seriously.
Posted Image

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

It is doable, but I don't agree that it should be done. I think it's important that the rep game and the club game are kept separated. The last thing we want is to devalue the image of the English (and international) game by including a rep side as an equivalent to just one of 16 club sides down under.
Posted Image

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

england got to the final of the 2003 world 7s..don't recall it damaging "england"

OLDHAM RLFC

#30 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

england got to the final of the 2003 world 7s..don't recall it damaging "england"

How many games did England play in 2002-2007 outside of the 7s? There was nothing to damage.
Posted Image

#31 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:17 AM

If we're looking at international teams, then they should focus on the ones closer to home like PNG, Fiji, Samoa and also the likes of the Philippines, Japan, Thailand and even China, since the Asian market has been neglected by the Australians for far too long. I'd even throw in Latin Heat, to try and gain some coverage in the Latino media. 

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

how old are you??? serious question

Probably slightly older than you.

The first Test match I saw live was at the Sydney Cricket ground  when Australia beat GB 13-12 in 1977.

Was it something that I said?

Edited by boxhead, 16 February 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#33 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

If the World Club Challenge will now be played in Aus on alternate years (not sure if that's than plan?) then maybe the English team that's over there could play in it (ie, like Wigan wanted to).
That would give an English team every couple of years, any maybe on the alternate years replace them with a team from somewhere else
Would be a good warm up for them too ahead of the Club Challenge

#34 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I would personally like to see the Magic weekend evolve in to a 9's tournament. It would need investment and big prize money but it's been proven it can be successful in the NRL.

Just brainstorming but it could start with something simply like:

12 SL clubs, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland.
https://au.dryjuly.c...e/kabramudcrabs

Support myself & team Mudcrab during our Dry July 2013 challenge. Proceeds going to Cancer Support.

#35 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

English clubs in the nines spells the end for an expanded World Club Challenge ?

http://www.smh.com.a...0215-32sam.html

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#36 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

All I can say to ESL fans after a weekend at the Auckland Nines is......if you can get there and your clubs playing.....it will be the most good vibe rugby league fan meeting and melting pot you could ever imagine.

People standing in line from sixteen clubs chatting rugby league and wishing each others teams the best for the weekend. 

It is stunning......like Miss World and Miss universe are fond of saying.....in the Rugby league world it is....

World peace.

A Hundred thousand happy faces over two days...no agro....kid safe.....and as every team came out for the first time they were shocked by the ' opposition fans ' sending up a massive roar for them.

I hope four ESL teams make 2015 , you will not regret it

Edited by mt smart, 16 February 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#37 donny donny

donny donny
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

All I can say to ESL fans after a weekend at the Auckland Nines is......if you can get there and your clubs playing.....it will be the most good vibe rugby league fan meeting and melting pot you could ever imagine.

People standing in line from sixteen clubs chatting rugby league and wishing each others teams the best for the weekend.

It is stunning......like Miss World and Miss universe are fond of saying.....in the Rugby league world it is....

World peace.

A Hundred thousand happy faces over two days...no agro....kid safe.....and as every team came out for the first time they were shocked by the ' opposition fans ' sending up a massive roar for them.

I hope four ESL teams make 2015 , you will not regret it

We've had that type of event/atmosphere for decades, it's called the Challenge Cup final.

Fwiw as a Championship fan I have no interest in Magic Weekend in its current format but if they made it a SL 9s tournament I'd definitely go and I'm sure I'd be able to get some rl newbies to come as well!

Edited by donny donny, 16 February 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#38 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

We've had that type of event/atmosphere for decades, it's called the Challenge Cup final.

Fwiw as a Championship fan I have no interest in Magic Weekend in its current format but if they made it a SL 9s tournament I'd definitely go and I'm sure I'd be able to get some rl newbies to come as well!

Cool.  Did you go to the SuperLeague 9s at Headingley?

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#39 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Probably slightly older than you.

The first Test match I saw live was at the Sydney Cricket ground  when Australia beat GB 13-12 in 1977.

Was it something that I said?

yeah that bit you said about a team made up of several countries against club sides....made you sound like a 15 year old lol

how is it different to a NRL team made up of aussies,kiwis,fijians & png lads?? for example

ps your first test was 2 years before i was born...you've got a few years on me mate lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#40 donny donny

donny donny
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Cool. Did you go to the SuperLeague 9s at Headingley?

No I didn't, mainly because I didn't know about it until you just mentioned it. Anyway a poorly promoted event at Headingley is hardly the same as a 9s tournament at Etihad, replacing the Magic Weekend, is it?

I could get my footy loving mates to go to Etihad because you can sell it as an event, where as there's little chance they'd be interested in standing in the South Stand at Headingley.

Edited by donny donny, 16 February 2014 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users