Batley Players Banned

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Zuehb Zaki

Zuehb Zaki
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Two Batley Bulldogs players have been suspended by an RFL Operational Rules Tribunal after they were found to have breached the sport’s rules relating to betting.

Jonny Campbell has been suspended for 12 months for placing bets on a number of matches, including the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final, Batley Bulldogs v Sheffield Eagles, in which he played.

Campbell placed a bet for the first points of the Grand Final to come from a Batley penalty goal and placed a handicap bet on the fixture.

Ayden Faal has been suspended for six months after placing a bet for the first points of the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final to come from a Batley penalty goal. Faal did not play in the match.

Under RFL Operational Rules D1:10© players shall not be involved in any manner or capacity whatsoever, whether for his own account or on behalf of any other person, in any betting in respect of any Rugby League match or competition.

Players are also bound by Operational Rule E5 in the Code of Conduct which prevents the placing, accepting, laying or otherwise entering into any wager, bet or other form of financial speculation with any individual, company, organisation or other body in relation to the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of any match, competition or event.

Campbell and Faal were also deemed to have breached Operational Rule E5.3.1.3.1 which forbids players from using in relation to betting any information they have by virtue of their position within the sport that is not in the public domain or readily accessible by the public.

Both players were investigated after the activity came to light through intelligence supplied by the Sports Betting Intelligence Unit of the Gambling Commission, with whom the RFL works collaboratively to monitor betting activity.

The Tribunal accepted that there was no suggestion of match fixing in the breaches of Operational Rules by Campbell and Faal.

Will the players be able to keep training at the club or are they banned from everything as are drug users

Edited by Zuehb Zaki, 14 February 2014 - 03:56 PM.

گر اور ہمیشہ کے لئے ہو جائے گا سے زیادہ طاقتور

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Great. At least we are well stocked with decent backs to ride it out!!!

#3 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'd never want them to play for our club ever again if they were Dewsbury players adyen Fael was a waste of space with us anyway.

#4 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'd never want them to play for our club ever again if they were Dewsbury players adyen Fael was a waste of space with us anyway.

been a waste for us, dont why we ever sighned him

#5 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Two Batley Bulldogs players have been suspended by an RFL Operational Rules Tribunal after they were found to have breached the sport’s rules relating to betting.
Jonny Campbell has been suspended for 12 months for placing bets on a number of matches, including the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final, Batley Bulldogs v Sheffield Eagles, in which he played.
Campbell placed a bet for the first points of the Grand Final to come from a Batley penalty goal and placed a handicap bet on the fixture.
Ayden Faal has been suspended for six months after placing a bet for the first points of the 2013 Kingstone Press Championship Grand Final to come from a Batley penalty goal. Faal did not play in the match.
Under RFL Operational Rules D1:10© players shall not be involved in any manner or capacity whatsoever, whether for his own account or on behalf of any other person, in any betting in respect of any Rugby League match or competition.
Players are also bound by Operational Rule E5 in the Code of Conduct which prevents the placing, accepting, laying or otherwise entering into any wager, bet or other form of financial speculation with any individual, company, organisation or other body in relation to the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of any match, competition or event.
Campbell and Faal were also deemed to have breached Operational Rule E5.3.1.3.1 which forbids players from using in relation to betting any information they have by virtue of their position within the sport that is not in the public domain or readily accessible by the public.
Both players were investigated after the activity came to light through intelligence supplied by the Sports Betting Intelligence Unit of the Gambling Commission, with whom the RFL works collaboratively to monitor betting activity.
The Tribunal accepted that there was no suggestion of match fixing in the breaches of Operational Rules by Campbell and Faal.

Will the players be able to keep training at the club or are they banned from everything as are drug users

i think they can still train just cant play

#6 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

And I'd just picked Jonny for my LRL Championship Fantasy team...... back to the drawing board

#7 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Who gives a monkeys if they can still play they have let themselves, the club and the supporters down again.
What use are they know.

Faal got let off lightly after being involved in drug offences post dewsbury contract and jc left a bloke disabled after a pointless altercation.

Both seem to have little respect and have now blown it for a couple of hundread notes.

Jc was a senior player and valuable member of team. Doubt if he can even play for trojans again for a year.

Gutted but annoyed more

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#8 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

I would cross both players off,sign two more players.and review the situation at the end of the season. 

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#9 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'm glad Fael left he had no loyalty to us we payed hunslet a transfer fee for him payed for a operation and stood by him in his dug offences then he walked out on us waste of a talent.
Campbell will be a massive loss for you guys.

#10 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Dug *drug*

#11 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

I would cross both players off,sign two more players.and review the situation at the end of the season.

i agree totaly but end of season mite be too late with the new structure system, we need to get two more backs in asap.

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I imagine Kear has known about this for weeks and has some sort of contingency plan in place. I would expect at least one permanent signing to arrive within the next week or so. As for Faal and Campbell - pair o' numpties.

Posted Image

#13 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I right with you on this Trev. What a pair of Duck Eggs after so much publicity about betting scandals, and not just in RL. It's not that long since Mark Cass got banned and so did the guy from Donny (Leaf?). These two must be dumb as wood.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 14 February 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

I right with you on this Trev. What a pair of Duck Eggs after so much publicity about betting scandals, and not just in RL. It's not that long since Mark Cass got banned and so did the guy from Donny (Leaf?). These two must be thick as a dockers sandwich.

As a Rams supporter, I take no pleasure in reading about this - I think the club deserve better from their players. I know it contravenes the rules, but at least they were backing their own side. Seem to remember a few years ago a couple of SL players being banned for betting on the opposition, and  knowing their own club were fielding a weakened side - not sure that their ban was any more severe than this one. Very sad.

#15 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

And I'd just picked Jonny for my LRL Championship Fantasy team...... back to the drawing board

But look on the bright side Gareth Potts is only £10k at Halifax he looks to be a bargain

#16 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Just a pity that Potts isn't still at the Mount!

#17 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

From what i can gather the amounts bet were relativly small and were placed on a batley result and not backing the opposition . very harsh judgements in my book and a slap on the wrist offence to me although jimbobram would have them both put to death it seems.

#18 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

From what i can gather the amounts bet were relativly small and were placed on a batley result and not backing the opposition . very harsh judgements in my book and a slap on the wrist offence to me although jimbobram would have them both put to death it seems.

Maybe not significant but stupid. Lack of respect for the club the rules and the wider game. Fully deserving of their bans.

#19 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

All over the news.

Bad PR for the club and the game in general.

As a professional player its bad enough caught betting on games you are playing in, but to place bets on your own account in your own nane is utterly brain dead.

And the end result is that three quarters at our club are now on the verge of extinction they are so rare.

I did hear when the rumour started that one or 2 of the players who have moved on were also involved?

Edited by buford t justice, 14 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#20 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

So that's why the absence from the team photo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users