TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Players Banned

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I hope JK has some players in the frame for us. As if we were not thin on the ground for backs before this fiasco it is now a crisis. If Hudds need their duel reg we are in the brown stuff. We will have more forwards than backs playing in our threequarters. These players have been extremly naive and have let their team mates and supporters down badly. I agree with Trevor cross them off for this season and try to replace them.  

#22 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

First time I have seen "Batley" headlined on the BBC RL page! Sadly for the wrong reasons. Hope it doesn't effect us Sunday!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#23 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

don,t understand why it should be an offence to back yourselves to win a game. totally understand sean longs ban as he backed against his own team the sentence seems very harsh to say the least and I am sure that the bookmakers involved would not have said anything if the bet had lost.

#24 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

What goes around comes around for both players,Faal just a waste of space we should have sacked him for them drug offences,we'll Campbell what can I say he should have gone a few year ago for what he did to that bloke,the thug. I was told both players won a grand a piece!!

#25 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

don,t understand why it should be an offence to back yourselves to win a game. totally understand sean longs ban as he backed against his own team the sentence seems very harsh to say the least and I am sure that the bookmakers involved would not have said anything if the bet had lost.

Of course it should be an offence. 

Bet on the first score to be a penalty for your team. Then 5 minutes in at 0-0, you've got the line at your mercy. Do you take the try?

Put a handicap bet on your team to win by 4 to 6 points. You're 4 in front with not long left. You have the ball in your hand, or are about to take an easy pass and score. What do you do?

JC has been in my top 2 or 3 players since he joined us. I'm gutted.

Wish I hadn't deleted the final now, I'd like to watch it back.  

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#26 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Bet on the first score to be a penalty for your team. Then 5 minutes in at 0-0, you've got the line at your mercy. Do you take the try?

Put a handicap bet on your team to win by 4 to 6 points. You're 4 in front with not long left. You have the ball in your hand, or are about to take an easy pass and score. What do you do?

it should have been obvious to anyone that playing a final against a team we can,t seem to beat that any points available would be taken we had done it throughout the playoffs ,even did it in northern rail final.

to suggest that either player would deliberately risk losing a game to win a bet is ludicrous and I am certain that neither player would have hesitated with the line at there mercy.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

I have no sympathy for either player but this must feel like a kick in the guts for the fans and the club, all of whom deserve much greater respect from such experienced players.

As to the comments regarding the severity of the crime and the punishment these are laid out clearly in RFL regulations for all of the players to see, largely as a result of previous shenanigans by SL players. There really is no excuse.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Batley should have sacked Campbell years ago when he attacked that soldier and left him 'brain damaged'

Campbell-end is a ######....

#29 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yes they made a very stupid mistake were is the education from the rfl ie imforming and educating players on these sudjects . We are not privey to why or how they did this . Imho i believe rfl should be telling players what they should or shouldnt be allowed to do .

#30 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Anybody got bolu faghborn or darren moxons number

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#31 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

to suggest that either player would deliberately risk losing a game to win a bet is ludicrous and I am certain that neither player would have hesitated with the line at there mercy.

I'm not saying they would, just pointing out why it's not allowed. The rules can't be "don't bet on a game you're playing in unless you don't personally reckon you'd do anything dodgy to affect a game". 

Edited by PKK, 14 February 2014 - 08:43 PM.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#32 johnmatrix

johnmatrix
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

do boxers not regularly bet on their own results to win? think the problem they both have is that they bet on the first score coming from a penalty. bookies generally have the odds stacked in their favour they take great offence to not having it their own way. are you so sure they wouldn't drop a pass with the line begging to win their respective bets, i do not no them but surely their previous offences would suggest they are not choirboys

#33 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Well I'm finding it greatly amusing
The 2 clowns should have got banged up
For their previous crimes

Karma.... Ain't it a (female dog)

Sometimes ;)

#34 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 698 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Strainge.. There appears to be a lot of people on here that were there when campbell punched that guy and because of the outcome (which is awful i know) makes campbell a bad guy. 2 sides to every story and I'm sure Johnny never meant to permenantly injure the guy. how many of you on here have ever punched someone (I bet you all have at some point) and all it takes is one punch to do seroius damage.

I agree that both players should be punished but I do feel the length of the bans is a little harsh.

#35 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

What relevance does this vitriolic 'Faal should have gone to prison for this' and 'Jonny Campbell did that and should be locked up' have in this case.

Every Rugby League team (in the world) has had some issues at some point so please stop.

"The Tribunal accepted that there was no suggestion of match fixing in the breaches of Operational Rules by Campbell and Faal."

Let justice run it's course and get behind the club, because we may need a new player or three this season.

#36 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Terry we are just hurting and the fact that a valued player is given a second chance then goes and blows it again really sucks.

Far too many old school have left mount pleasant this year as it is

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#37 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

So it was alrite for Campbel to be called a black +astard. Dont think so.Regarding the betting please dont make out that these are the bad boys of Rugby League. They are not the first and they will not be the last.

#38 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

Those bans that have been given out to Fael & Campbell are in line to what Shaun Leaf( Doncaster)& Mark Cass( Oldham) ex batley got so I don't think they can have any complaints. I just think they've let everyone down they know the rules about gambling on a game that you are playing in,and as for the incident involving Campbell a few year ago no matter what was & what was not said he didn't deserve that,you'd probably feel differently if that was your son that was left paralysed!!!!!

#39 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

But they are the rules, and everybody except Jonny Dumbell and Aiden Fool seemed to know about them. There is nothing in the rules about friends or family members placing bets, so why on earth would they not get someone else to put the bet on for them? I'd heard the bets were for £10 at 3 to 1 which somehow makes it even more idiotic, to risk a ban for the sake of £30, they deserve all they get. 

Edited by DOGFATHER, 15 February 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#40 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

The bottom line is that these two clowns have let the club, their team and the supporters down (and not for the first time I might add) I personally hope that neither of them get to wear a Batley shirt again. We are a family club and our players should be role models for our kids and grankids. There are enough good players out there whose standard of behaviour is decent on and off the pitch - lets hope we can replace these two, with lads with with a bit more integrity

pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users