Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Players Banned

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

There's a lot of people who are very quick to condemn. The same people who were probably cheering Johnny Campbell to the heavens when he scored in the GF in September.

Both lads have been incredibly daft, and have been punished for if. The outcome seems a little harsh but rules are rules and have to be followed. Let's not kid ourselves though, these two aren't the only RL players betting on games, they were just daft enough to get caught.

Bringing past history into it isn't fair, whatever people's opinions are. The issues are completely irrelevant and unrelated.

Both, especially JC will be a massive loss for us. And the players will lose out too as I suspect their contracts will become null and void as a result.

But let's not act as if they've been found guilty of selling drugs to kids or beating up pensioners. They've been stupid, and it doesn't look good on the club, but let's have a bit of perspective at the same time.

#42 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

And you would be right to talk about perspective if this was the first time these two had let us down, but it isn't. People have been prepared to forgive past behaviour and given them a second chance and still they let us down. It is precisely because we have cheered JC on over the ladt few seasons that people are so upset about it.

#43 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Well the banned players are now history for the present and i hope that it does not affect a successful season for our club. It is not going to be a cakewalk to make the top nine which is the least we have to achieve .Lets hope that JK manages to bring in a couple of good outside backs to give us the balance we need. Maybe now is the time for our supporters who are not a member of BISSA to join and help to secure the funds to move on from the stupid crass naivity of JC & AF. 

#44 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

There's a lot of people who are very quick to condemn. The same people who were probably cheering Johnny Campbell to the heavens when he scored in the GF in September.

Both lads have been incredibly daft, and have been punished for if. The outcome seems a little harsh but rules are rules and have to be followed. Let's not kid ourselves though, these two aren't the only RL players betting on games, they were just daft enough to get caught.

Bringing past history into it isn't fair, whatever people's opinions are. The issues are completely irrelevant and unrelated.

Both, especially JC will be a massive loss for us. And the players will lose out too as I suspect their contracts will become null and void as a result.

But let's not act as if they've been found guilty of selling drugs to kids or beating up pensioners. They've been stupid, and it doesn't look good on the club, but let's have a bit of perspective at the same time.

Probably the most sensible post here. Yes they were stupid and yes they have to be punished. However previous incidents are unrelated. As a fan its dissapointing, especially from JC's point of view as I felt that as a senior player and the end of last season he would have been a key player. This is something they will have to cope with, and not playign the game for a year is punishment enough. Lets not get too excited and slamming them beyond belief.

The most important thing now is Leigh on Sunday who are convinced they are goign to destroy us, according to their forums. Lets switch are attentions to the 17 guys who will do us proud at the LSV.

#45 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

From what i can gather the amounts bet were relativly small and were placed on a batley result and not backing the opposition . very harsh judgements in my book and a slap on the wrist offence to me although jimbobram would have them both put to death it seems.

That is just not the point. The most important people to suffer from the betting scandals are the loyal club supporters. They tip up enough of their hard earned cash to watch a "clean" game of rugby. Such players, be it betting or drugs, should be really hammered IMO.. 

#46 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Its ok saying they should be hammered,i agree with a ban but 12 months for a patt time player placing a £20 bet is harsh, i remember sean long doing exactly same with a bigger wager and only getting a 3 month ban, now you tell me thats fair.

#47 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

The one thing I find a bit difficult to understand is the length of time this has taken to be dealt with.  The RFL knew about this just after the match took place having, allegedly been alerted by the Gaming authorities.  The evidence therefore would have been pretty cut and dried and any interview with the persons concerned could have taken place fairly quickly.  The hearing would then be set up, but these are a regular occurrence so would not be a problem to arrange, and the matter could have been dealt with.  If the hearing had taken place in, say December, then Faal would have been available to play in June and Campbell would have been available for the pre-season matches next year. Instead he cannot play until virtually the first league match next season so will not have had any pre-season match practice and is effectively being punished for longer than 12 months. Why did it take until the week the season starts for the hearing to be held?

#48 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Its ok saying they should be hammered,i agree with a ban but 12 months for a patt time player placing a £20 bet is harsh, i remember sean long doing exactly same with a bigger wager and only getting a 3 month ban, now you tell me thats fair.

Long was the first in recent times and the RFL thought that 3 month was a good enough deterrent, it wasn't, so subsequent law breakers have got more and more severe penalties and it will continue until the handed out deterrents are seen to be just that, if players continue to break the rules the RFL will rightly continue to increase the bans until such a time that the players learn.

#49 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Of course it should be an offence. 

Bet on the first score to be a penalty for your team. Then 5 minutes in at 0-0, you've got the line at your mercy. Do you take the try?

Put a handicap bet on your team to win by 4 to 6 points. You're 4 in front with not long left. You have the ball in your hand, or are about to take an easy pass and score. What do you do?

JC has been in my top 2 or 3 players since he joined us. I'm gutted.

Wish I hadn't deleted the final now, I'd like to watch it back.  

you can still see the final.....

http://www.totalrl.c...atley-bulldogs/

Edited by RPH, 15 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#50 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm a little less quick to lambaste the two of them.

They've not sought to deliberately cheat or influence the game. They were betting on their own team unlike Long (3 months) and Gleeson (4 months). They've not tried to hurt anyone or done something reckless that could have ended someone's career. Remember Craig Miles got 6 months for his assault on Dean Lawford. I think the bans, especially JC's, are harsh. 

That said, they've broken the rules and have to take the punishment on the chin. I'd expect the club to support them and would welcome them back once the bans are up.

#51 johnmatrix

johnmatrix
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

they tried to cheat the bookies/pundits out of money so surely they tried to influence the game for their own personal gain. why should the club support them?? they've dragged the proud history of batley through the mud. surely that means more than standing by two average players

#52 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

they tried to cheat the bookies/pundits out of money so surely they tried to influence the game for their own personal gain. why should the club support them?? they've dragged the proud history of batley through the mud. surely that means more than standing by two average players

http://www.yorkshire...aches-1-6441285

#53 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

don,t ever feel sorry for the bookies they are privvy to far more information than joe public ever has. they only scream when they lose. one year there were 5 different ante post favourites for the derby and not one of them ran in the race. the bookies cleared over two million pounds with the gullible punters not even getting a run for their money.

#54 johnmatrix

johnmatrix
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

i don't feel sorry for the bookies. cant see what we get out of standing by them, except two average/decent players coming back and turning out for less money than they are currently on,next time.

#55 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

http://www.yorkshire...aches-1-6441285

#56 nedryan

nedryan
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Incredible! If there are to be no sackings presumably we will be continuing to pay their wages under their current contract of employment for 12 and 6 months despite the fact that they cant play. How are we going to pay for any replacements

#57 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Incredible! If there are to be no sackings presumably we will be continuing to pay their wages under their current contract of employment for 12 and 6 months despite the fact that they cant play. How are we going to pay for any replacements

You have made a big assumption there. I very much doubt Barley will continue to pay players who do not play. I am not sure that is how we work.

#58 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Average!!!!!! JC is the clubs tries in a season record holder, Probably the best wing in the country outside SL and if it wasn't for his previous court appearance would be surely playing Super League now.

#59 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

just think if they had slipped there mam or sister a tenner to back them selves to win like others players did we wouldent be here beefing now, its them that were stupid enough to not think what they were doing and their made to sit out for a season,  while some player next week might drop on another player with an elbow third man in cheap shot and get three games. people wanting their heads need to look around as am sure the other lads having a bet on the biggest game in 50 years might just have another shirt on now. they let themselves down and the club but hardly an hanging offence :download:

#60 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

ps, aint to fussed about faal he were ###### anyways, but thanks jc for some great rugby fella.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users