Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:31 PM

Fighting talk from Paul Cooke (who will play on Sunday) on the official Doncaster website.
"Everyone is really excited and that's the aim of the game for us. That's the way things have been around the camp, we're excited to go and play. We know what we're going to get up there; we know the type of pitch and we know the type of coach they have and we know what types of players they have there. There's no time left of pre season now from our point of view and we have to meet fire with fire up there and give it everything to get off to the winning start we want."
"It's always challenging going up to Cumbria, teams often fall down travelling a long way to play these teams and the pitches aren't great, especially at this time of year because of the weather so it won't be an easy game at all.
"But we know what we're in for and we know how they are going to try and play against us which is what we've been working on all week.
"Everyone is just really excited about starting and wants to get going. They're all looking forward to getting out there and putting some performances in. Everyone wants to stake their claim for the rest of the season and there's no doubt about it that it's a difficult trip and a tough game to start with, but we're all raring to go and want to get that winning start."

The atmosphere is really beginning to build up, let's hope the weather doesn't spoil what should be a close game. Looking forward to a winning start to the season for Town!

Edited by Supporter, 14 February 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Translation - 'it'll be a total bog , they're totally predictable and play forward dominant stuff as that's all their coach knows and buys players to do that .But we always beat them and it'll be same old same old ' !!!!! . Lovely mind games !

Edited by DavidM, 14 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#3 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Good luck lads for the Donny match and the rest of the season, lets hope we are in the mix at the end.

Up the Town

#4 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

I would like to remind donny the pitch will be the same for both teams. How many times will we get the old "small pitch" crack about DP tbis season lol. Also they weren't always lodging at a FL championship clubs ground. What was the name of their ground when they were the whipping boys of the RL world?

Edited by town4me, 15 February 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#5 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

I would like to remind donny the pitch will be the same for both teams. How many times will we get the old "small pitch" crack about DP tbis season lol. Also they weren't always lodging at a FL championship clubs ground. What was the name of their ground when they were the whipping boys of the RL world?

#6 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Tattersfield

#7 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Weather forecast promises drying winds from noon onwards, anyone know if they need "forkers" today or tomorrow?

#8 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Tattersfield

That name brings back fond memories of that emotive game in 1995 when Town played at the ground (was it the last match on the ground?) and won 50 - 16. The team included many personal heroes of mine like Rowland Phillips, Colin Armstrong and Mark Mulligan

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I remember the opposite . Going ahead as we surged to the league title then being totally shafted by a certain Mr Mcgregor

#10 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I remember being there when a certain James Pickering made his debut, my first sight of a monster when he came on as a sub. I swear the donny players were looking at each other thinking "what the hell is this?"

The tale I was told was on the way home the team coach had to stop on the A66 so Jimmy could get out and play in the snow as he'd never seen it before.

Oh for a Jimmy Pick again
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#11 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I was at that game too and remember when he came on and everyone just looked at each other as if to say "what on earth is this" just looked massively unfit.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,968 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

It always makes me laugh when coaches make comments like "teams often fall down travelling a long way to play these teams". They don't seem to realise that our lads have to do that every other week or so and sometimes in mid-week!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Says in paper that Jason Mossop is the only unavailable player for tomorrow, also says they will make a decision on carter after he's scan

#14 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Carter is not in the squad, i think TIERNEY will be our fullback.

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Carter is not in the squad, i think TIERNEY will be our fullback.

Murphy is the one who's played super league games at full back whereas tierney featured on the wing. Pleased Elliot is available as I still think he's the best winger in the league.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#16 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Murphy is the one who's played super league games at full back whereas tierney featured on the wing. Pleased Elliot is available as I still think he's the best winger in the league.

tierney played full back against widnes away and cas at home last season I think, he defo did against widnes away

#17 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's brilliant to have these options, 2 lads at full back to choose from while our own number 1 is set for a scan, he maybe isn't happy at this but why risk him?
Wingers and centres to choose from too, quality

#18 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

A consensus of opinion regarding the team selection for tomorrow (on the now locked thread) created the following list. Anyone want to have another stab at the possible formation? No prize for the winner(s) other than kudos!
1. Carter, Murphy,
2. Miller, Murphy, Haney,
3. Tierney, Conner,
4. Conner, Murphy, Morris,
5. Miller, Tierney, Haney
6. Lupton,
7. C. Phillips
8. Coward, Shackley,
9. Mattinson,
10. Shackley, Coward, McAvoy,
11. B. Phillips, Stack,
12. Stack, B. Phillips,
13. Olstrum,

Subs: Lever, McAvoy, Rowlandson, McGoff, Rooney, Duerden, Carter, Morris.

#19 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

If carter doesn't play I'd go with
Murphy
Haney
Tierney
Connor
Miller
Lupton
C.Phillips
Coward
Matty
Shackley
B.Phillips
Stack
Olstrom

Mcavoy
Lever
Rowlandson
Rooney or Duerden

#20 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

This season, in the warm up games, Tierney played at number 1 with Murphy wearing the number 2 shirt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users