Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Heard that too

#42 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Rowlandson not playing.

HW

I'd have Rooney on bench for him then and Duerden on too

#43 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Official Workington Town Twitter
RFL match commissioner Peter Gilmour at Derwent park this morning confirming today's game as ON.
Nice picture of this inspection on the twitter site.

#44 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

My guess at the team:
1 Lewis Tierney
2 Elliot Miller
3 Jack Murphy
4 Kayle Connor (kicker)
5 Lee Haney
6 Peter Lupton
7 Callum Phillips
8 Kris Coward
9 Greame Mattinson
10 Marc Shackley
11 Brett Phillips
12 Jarrad Stack
13 Karl Olstrum
Subs:
Liam McAvoy
Ruairi McGoff
Daniel Rooney/Andy Morris
Rob Lever

If Connor doesn't play, we need a kicker, thus Forber could be in the team.

Edited by Supporter, 16 February 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#45 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think that will be pretty close supporter. I have a feeling big red will be in somewhere. But after the hull v Catalans game it proves you need a top quality goal kicker in your side. And if carter doesn't play then Connor has to if forber isn't in.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#46 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Official Workington Town Twitter
RFL match commissioner Peter Gilmour at Derwent park this morning confirming today's game as ON.
Nice picture of this inspection on the twitter site.

Nice and early confirmation, well done.

#47 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Tierney, Miller , Murphy , Connor , Haney , Lupton ,Callum , Coward , Matty , Mcavoy , Stack , Brett , Olstrum . Lever , Red , Shackley , Rooney .
Arundel from hull playing for them

#48 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

What a second half performance that was, lol. If that's the best Lupton can offer it might be best to stick to coaching. Some brains needed quick i think, and preferably someone who can kick and not put in pointless crossfield kicka 20m from the opposition line.

And what about the wonderful mr bloem? So determined to make sure doncaster got everything he even gave them a scrum after aclear doncaster knock on, took a while for him to realise it was so obvious he'd never get away with it. Pure comedy. Must be what drugs does to you.

Anyway, after a bright start i can only say the rest was pretty ######, rudderless ######, lazy ######, etc.

Edited by Monkeydo, 16 February 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#49 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Its as simple as this. Either we sign some forwards or we are going down. It took us 20 minutes to get in their half in the second half!!

#50 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Feeling gutted right now, we have to win these games at home, we started like an house on fire but our lack of forward power and poor refereeing decisions cost us. We need a  couple of props ASAP.  

#51 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

V disappointed with our tactics today, in the opening 10 mins we threw the ball wide, made a lot of ground and scored, then played right into their hands by trying to go up the middle, we don't have the forwards we had last year to do it, when on the odd occasions we did throw it wide they looked ordinary and points where there to be scored. We need front row forwards to take the ball up, Lupton or McAvoy mom for me. But I am afraid we where a beaten pack today and we are going to meet a lot better packs than Doncaster before the season end.

#52 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Difficult at the moment with emotions high and thoughts spinning , but a few observations .
1) we are a team traditionally built on a strong pack , but we looked so lightweight up the guts today . We need more muscle . Poor Mcavoy was given some tough treatment .
2) When you have the flow you must score points. This is a perennial problem for us . When you have the foot on the throat make it count
3 ) we still look toothless and rudderless to often in attack and everything is a grind . Nothing looks fluid or fluent . We don't ask enough questions of defences.
4) our passing needs drastic improvement . I'm peters biggest fan but not his day today . We must move the ball crisper or no end of Wigan players can help . Tierney has promise
5 ) Donny bullied us , and showed what basic error free rugby with a good organiser can do . For the last 50 minutes they played it brilliantly . Seeing a team out physical us here is an eye opener.
6) We lack nous and awareness , and continue to make to many errors. How many times did Donny play textbook , controlled sets and hand it back under our sticks - game management
7 ) to many soft tries conceded
8 ) the ref was awful and totally out of his depth
9) finally , if we can't win these games it's gonna be a long season . Our lack of off season activity could really hurt . That was an eye opener and even our much vaunted conditioning was off - we had so many guys walking back to get onside . Need lots of work .

Edited by DavidM, 16 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#53 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

DavidM

Thanks for the comments re Doncaster, we were shocking v Crusaders last week end & I feared the worse !

#54 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

I think the 3 Cumbrian sides got a real reality check today, all 3 getting beat by relegation rivals and beaten pretty easily. Really worrying times for us all.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Weighman we could play you every day with 17 DR from Manly and not win ... That's how it feels anyway !

#56 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

What for a Thacks or Acton today !!! Stacky head and shoulders above anyone else for me with young Callum second.

Luppy had a good first half, but looked out on his feet second half, and I now McAvoy is only a boy but I think to much is asked of him , he needs someone with experienced to learn from in that position, hopefully we can put someone with him soon.

Disappointed not to win, as first half was very encouraging, fast balls even the backs seen a lot of it today, then second half nothing, we found it hard to get anywhere there line speed was faster, there play the ball was faster and they looked hungry and wanted it more than us.

Oh well here's for a win at the Dogs next week ! !!!

#57 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Crowd not bad today nearly 900, not a bad start.

#58 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Very disappointing today after looking good in the first 20 minutes we started to play one man rugby up the middle and came off second best.   In the second half we couldn't get out of our own half until we started to throw the ball about again and made good yards but not enough of it.

We always seem to not know what to do when teams get in our faces and Donny did that from the 20th minute or thereabouts onwards.    We looked awfully slow moving up on them in comparison and that allowed Cooke to sit in his little box and dictate play.   Once again we got a decent crowd - 895 - and then put in a performance like that in the second half.    I thought the Wigan lads did alright without doing anything special but we need to realise that we don't have the muscle up front and if we are wanting to make yards we gained more from moving it about.

The referee showed just how inexperienced he is and that is the fault of those at Red Hall that allocate refs.    I did note in the programme it says the ref should have been Malcolm Thomason, so I wonder why it was changed?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#59 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

Listening to the post match interview apperntly our go forward was good! I must have been watching a different game. Get on the phone to the walne brothers!!!!

#60 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Donny no more than workman like but simple game plan and few errors 2nd half. We were fairly evenly matched sides but our discipline poor - to get a penalty reversed on your own line isn't the smartest! Match we should have won but if you have no possession you stand little chance. Feeling rather glum and a little pessimistic right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users