Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

What could happen is the three teams go down into the financial oblivion of champ one , then circumstances push them to think about it while they're at rock bottom

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#102 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

Looking back at the game yesterday one of the most obvious differences was the work rate of the 2 standoffs. Cooke just stood there controling the game out of hand and foot while poor Lupton was running his socks off trying to make inroads that the forwards normally do. Does anyone know why Matty was substituted so early and why did Coward not get more game time ? Someone made a good point regarding our lack of overseas players, surely there must be a decent Tongan, Samoan, Fijian prop out there we could look at !

A good turn out for the game yesterday, but as per usual we failed to do anything to tempt them back again. Donny must be the worst supported away team in the RL, to bring only 15 or so fans for the first game is pathetic.

#103 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think that's such a salient point about the crowd . Start of the season , good turn out to see what's what , and then that end product . We know many of them are fickle and will not go back . Then we're looking at 600 again . Cooke made the remark about starting the season well . It's important to hit the ground in a positive way for a variety of reasons . Id have said before the season , with the high threshold for failure this year , that we had to beat all the bottom 9 at home . That makes this loss so damaging - it wasn't Fev or Leigh . Swinton next down here - gee whizz , going belly up there doesn't bear thinking about

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#104 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Swintons already looking like a must win, and even with the team we have we are more than capable of beating them and by more than 12. But will our game plan allow us to do it?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#105 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

Swintons already looking like a must win, and even with the team we have we are more than capable of beating them and by more than 12. But will our game plan allow us to do it?

our game plan has to change.we are going to have to up our tactical kicking game by 100%. We have to do to teams what cooke did to us yesterday by pinning them deep in their own half when they have the ball and hope for errors. We can't take teams on down the middle until we bring a few props in

Edited by town4me, 17 February 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#106 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

our game plan has to change.we are going to have to up our tactical kicking game by 100%. We have to do to teams what cooke did to us yesterday by pinning them deep in their own half when they have the ball and hope for errors. We can't take teams on down the middle until we bring a few props in

have we got the personnel to do those type of kicks though?

#107 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

However we go about it we have to find more points . You've got to take the chances you get or you get bitten , especially if you're struggling with your own goal line defence . Not being clinical at one end and giving up soft efforts at the other isn't a good recipe . We should have had 20 on the board in the first half , yet at halftime you worry that you're chance has gone . The best teams make it stick , but for a fair while now our attack has been a real grind

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#108 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

lupton and connor or forber are capable on their day. Somebody has to step to the mark or every time opposition coaches watch DVD's of our games they will suss us out very easily. It will simply be pin them back because they won't threaten our line from their own half.

#109 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

......y and why did Coward not get more game time ?

I suspect because he looked shot in no time?

#110 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Of course you can only kill with your kicks when you're rolling forward . Five drives making 50 makes kicking the other 50 a lot easier ! Struggling to make yards and being smothered makes it hard for a kicker to be effective ,as he's working from deep and on the back foot ,which takes us back to our original argument about muscle ! The muscle makes the halves breath easier in their job.

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#111 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Defensively and offensively...Get Kayle into first reciever at the right moment as we already now how high or how long he can boot it!

Edited by Oneday, 17 February 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#112 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

We said this last year didn't we ? Why is he not doing the in play kicking ? A concrete boot can at least in part negate a lack of yards and give a get out of jail card to some effect ? I think he is now our first choice centre , so let's get his strengths used . I reckon he'd be a weapon with good ball to . He was encouraging

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#113 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Of course you can only kill with your kicks when you're rolling forward . Five drives making 50 makes kicking the other 50 a lot easier ! Struggling to make yards and being smothered makes it hard for a kicker to be effective ,as he's working from deep and on the back foot ,whish takes us back to our original argument about muscle ! The muscle makes the halves breath easier in their job.

I see your point David but we can make enough ground off our line in 5 plays to set up a kick chase. Going off yesterday's game we are going to have to utilise the ball to boot tactic or we are going to struggle.IMO.

Edited by town4me, 17 February 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#114 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Yes indeed . Should have said it sure does help in getting a good base to kick from and you can get to the receiver faster ! But true about the importance of in play kicking - especially in poor conditions where making ground is hard yakka. Donny made us do all the legwork and it really told . We looked pretty empty in the tank due to it.

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#115 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Yes indeed . Should have said it sure does help in getting a good base to kick from and you can get to the receiver faster ! But true about the importance of in play kicking - especially in poor conditions where making ground is hard yakka. Donny made us do all the legwork and it really told . We looked pretty empty in the tank due to it.

we wouldn't have scored if we had played to 8 oclock last night given donnys effective tactics. Cooke got it spot on. We have to learn from yesterday pretty quickly.

#116 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Another massive worry is we were the only home side to lose this weekend.

#117 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Do you think our current coach knows how to or wants to change the game plan ?

#118 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

nope

Edited by wonky, 17 February 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#119 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

What is the game plan?     I think Paul Cooke sussed out what our game plan was before the match.     He knew we would be trying to batter our way through the middle and he planned accordingly.    I bet he was taken aback when we threw the ball about in the first 15 minutes though!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#120 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

well if yesterday hasnt given him food for thought then we could be cream krackered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users