Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Keith , we haven't changed the plan but we've lost the team able to do it ! We ain't got that muscle anymore for plan A , so what now ? It has to evolve now the team dynamic has . We're not blasting with this pack , so it will be interesting to see if it's get it away from the guts now ? I guess when you haven't got the ammo you'd like, a coach really earns his corn . It seems at times that Wayne Bennett couldn't coach us , with the errors and self - harm we see , but it's undeniable that often as well we're lacking the tactical dimensions and reactions needed that must come from the touch line . Very difficult one .

Edited by DavidM, 17 February 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#122 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

well if yesterday hasnt given him food for thought then we could be cream krackered

Don't be negative now t4m !!!! good to see the attendance up on last years game the LE says it increased by 53% on last years game, I wonder how much more we could have got  if we had secured a couple of big name signings ?

#123 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Probably none. The league game last year was a bank holiday weekend though. A 50% increase for every game would be great though!

#124 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

And all town fans as there was a deadly silence whenever they scored !

#125 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

Don't be negative now t4m !!!! good to see the attendance up on last years game the LE says it increased by 53% on last years game, I wonder how much more we could have got if we had secured a couple of big name signings ?

hate to be negative but I am concerned after yesterday. It confirmed what we all knew pre season regarding forwards. I Hope we can get some in and we can have a good go at the league. its early doors yet and lets stay behind the club but its obvious whats needed. I will still be there though.

#126 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Does anywhere have the tries/highlights?

(Didn't your local papers have it on their website?)

#127 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Does anywhere have the tries/highlights?

(Didn't your local papers have it on their website?)

no they haven't done for the last few years.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#128 Jemmo

Jemmo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

no they haven't done for the last few years.

OK no worries cheers

Good luck or the rest of the season!

#129 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Cheers , we may need a bit more than that . There's some teams even outside the top 5 looking very strong and improved ,and that's a concern. Making a top 9 even now looks a eyewatering threshold

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#130 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Looking at it now, it would seem as though relegation last year and winning champ 1 this would have been an easier route than finishing top 9 in the championship this year. That bottom division is so weak at the moment and if we even had the squad we have now it would have been a pretty easy league to win.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#131 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Obviously I don't want us to go down but if we do and so do Haven and Barrow it won't be a complete financial disaster. We'll retain most of our squad as most of them are local and won't move to play at a higher level unless they want to travel out of the county and attendances will probably go up as, theoretically, we should win more games.

#132 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

If, heaven forbid, we did go down we would be no better off, financially, than we are at present. The problem is that the clubs that remain in the Championship will have DOUBLE the amount of central funding, at least, and therefore the financial gap would grow for every year you spent in the lower league. Even the club being promoted from Championship 1 this season would have almost double what we would get.

We would all hope and pray that if we went down we could get back up fairly quickly, but so would all the other clubs taking a drop and in that situation I could see some clubs getting in to financial problems in their fight to get up. So, whilst initially, it might not seem like a financial disaster, a number of years down could bring about a complete disaster.

Attendances might go up but just as we don't expect to pay SL prices when watching Championship matches then we wouldn't expect to pay the same as now to watch Hemel or Gloucester (no disrespect intended to those two clubs).

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#133 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

75 grand champ one .... Existing championship clubs who survive 550 - 150 grand . The worry is everything to do with the restructuring is to do with the top 24 - even using the term 'top 24' tells you everything . The rest seems a twilight zone and embarrassing afterthought at present. And reading things like no money is ring fenced for championship one in future raises alarm bells . Nothing is fatal but clawing back up is no given . 14 clubs - maybe fellow Cumbrian clubs - having a dogfight for one spot is it , or two ? And every year you fail to win it you drift further apart financially .

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#134 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

75 grand champ one .... Existing championship clubs who survive 550 - 150 grand . The worry is everything to do with the restructuring is to do with the top 24 - even using the term 'top 24' tells you everything . The rest seems a twilight zone and embarrassing afterthought at present. And reading things like no money is ring fenced for championship one in future raises alarm bells . Nothing is fatal but clawing back up is no given . 14 clubs - maybe fellow Cumbrian clubs - having a dogfight for one spot is it , or two ? And every year you fail to win it you drift further apart financially .

its gonna be 2 teams up and down league winners and play off winners it wont be easy either

#135 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hang on there folks we have only played one game and ok lost, we have secured a bonus point, all this doom and gloom wont do the players confidence much good if they think we are writing them off already, we all know we need strengthening in areas but lets not shut shop just yet, we will start to sound like our friends, who by the way arnt to happy with big Dave!! lets have faith in the team and the board its still early days. :sleep:

#136 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

The concept that you drift further apart for every year you stay downis incorrect. Clubs will spend their entire funding strengthening their squads and won't retain any profit. Therefore when you start the new season in the higher league you'll be on a level playing field with the ones from the lower part of the league above. Similarly if you manage to stay out of the bottom 2 this season there'll be an additional £15k parachute payment.

#137 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

I don't think anyone is writing us off but it is important for everyone to know the full extent of relegation this season. We are all living hopes that we will strengthen soonest but we are in the hands of others, it seems, as to how we do that and when? That is the worry.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#138 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

We've put ourselves in the hands of others . Please Wigan and Salford help us out ? What if they don't or they pull the carpet out from underneath us . It's a risky plan , but we've been there.

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#139 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

The concept that you drift further apart for every year you stay downis incorrect. Clubs will spend their entire funding strengthening their squads and won't retain any profit. Therefore when you start the new season in the higher league you'll be on a level playing field with the ones from the lower part of the league above. Similarly if you manage to stay out of the bottom 2 this season there'll be an additional £15k parachute payment.

I think you need to explain that GeordieTownie. Which clubs will spend their entire funding strengthening? What profits? If you mean the Championship clubs then what do you think the Championship 1 clubs will be doing with their £75k? And how would they then be on a level playing field with those above?

Surely, there is just as much chance of Championship 1 clubs spending their entire funding on strengthening in an effort to get promoted, isn't there, but not just as much as the others?

#140 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Exactly. so when they start the new season at the higher level they'd have the same funding for the coming season apart from the Championship 1 team will probably have won additional funds for winning the championship or winning a play off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users