Doncaster Match

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

But they could be two , three , four years behind in development . Teams with huge financial injections repeatedly building up their playing resources in the championship . Every year the resources to build from strength in the championship . You'll suddenly have equal money but you'll be in year one and behind the 8 ball in regard the rest . Getting right up in year one minimises that , and not being in that situation at all is even better ! Fingers crossed.

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#142 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

I see. You are assuming that the Championship 1 team got promoted though and that is the big problem. If they didn't then how long do you think they would survive spending all their funding each year on strengthening the squad?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#143 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

All clubs spend all their money on strengthening their squad. It's hand to mouth, very few clubs develop they spend the majority on players.

#144 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

The championship 1 team must've got promoted or they wouldn't be in the Championship?

#145 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Lets do a rewind Geordie. At present Championship clubs (our league) get (I believe) £90k in funding and Championship 1 (the league below us) get £60k (I think).

At the end of this season, 2014, five clubs drop from our league to Championship 1 and one team goes in the opposite direction. For the following season, 2015, the minimum amount a Championship club will receive is £150k from central funds, whilst the lower league clubs will get £75k.

That's a £75k difference and if the amounts stayed the same, without any increases, that would £75k difference each season, meaning the overall difference gets larger each year.

You can't assume that if you were one of the 5 relegated teams this season that you would get promoted next season. A club in the higher league could spend just two thirds of their funding (£100k) and still have spent £25k more than the lower league spending the whole of their funding.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#146 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

It doesn't make any difference you're only ever competing with the teams in the same league as you so it doesn't matter what a team in a different league gets as you aren't competing with them. If a team gets £150k or £75k you can guarantee they'll spend it and therefore start the following season at zero as you'll have spent it all.

That means if you come up and get £150k or you were already up and getting £150k it won't matter as you'll start the season with nothing other than the £150k due for that year plus any other revenue stream you have.

#147 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Let me put it simpler. If one man gets £150 per week and blows it all and another man gets £75 per week and blows it all, when the man on £75 gets a pay rise to £150 per week he isn't any worse off than the bloke who's been getting £150 previously as they both started the week with nothing.

Does that make sense now???

#148 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

In very simplistic terms yes it does but it relies on many other "ifs" and "buts" like all the higher league clubs spending all their funding and if the lower league actually managing to get promoted by spending all their funding.  Otherwise, I think I go along with my economics as being closer to the norm.    

#149 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

When have you ever known a rugby league club not spend all of their money? The whole idea is that in general they are non profit making so invariably they spend every penny. It's not ifs and buts it's fact. With that in mind it's a mile away from the norm.

#150 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Especially when the salary cap in the new championship is £1M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users