Owlerton

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Heard that there is a pitch inspection "Today" (Sat) what's all that about?

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#2 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Sheffield Wednesday's game is postponed today because the pitch is waterlogged, Owlerton is virtually across the road from that ground, so it must be pretty wet down there.....

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#3 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for that Eagletarian, lets hope we get a good stiff breeze going to dry Owlerton out.

Kind Regards

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#4 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Game called off already ! Mm. Not taking a chance on a change in the weather then. I remember going up to Murrayfield for the RL Cup Final a few years back. In Friday's paper there were photographs of the groundsman rowing a boat on the flooded pitch the day before ! They still played on Saturday.

Ps, I heard the game was likely to be off on Thursday night. Strange.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 15 February 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#5 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Lovely day over here, sun out, wind just blowing lightly. Great conditions for drying out a rugby pitch. Is it still monsoon conditions over there ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 16 February 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#6 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

No it's lovely sunshine here in Sheffield a perfect day

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#7 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Mm, I smell a rat.

#8 hawk-eye

hawk-eye
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Mm, I smell a rat.

Go on then I'll bite.

Why would the Eagles want the game called off after the effort and expense that was put in to make an event out of the return to Owlerton, programmes printed, ex-players invited, local advertising paid for?

Posted Image

#9 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

There is no reason why the Eagles would have wanted that game cancelling today, they would not have wanted to disappoint their loyal fans and after last weeks friendly at York the players are raring to go.   Plus, there is likely to be a big problem in re arranging the fixture, the stadium is in use virtually every evening so to find a new date may be a real headache.......

Posted Image

#10 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Let's not forget Sheffield Wednesday's game yesterday was called off fairly early with much better drainage than Owlerton, once that was off the writing was on the wall for us sadly 

It's annoying for everyone concerned but can't be helped 

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#11 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Well the rumours were at our club last Thursday that you wouldn't be too disappointed if the game didn't go ahead as planned. Something to do with things not being quite ready. Must be off the pitch reasons as I'm sure you'd be ready on the pitch. Old Lancashire saying - " If the cap fits wear it."

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 16 February 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#12 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Tyrone

Weren't you the club to call off their match last Sunday morning at 10.30am ?? Then proceed to almost 'whisper' the news out ?? 

I heard of one opposing fan who travelled from Derbyshire and numerous other away supporters who travelled unecessarliy.

Praise to the Eagles staff and management who had the common sense to call in the referee early to look at a doubtful and heavily waterlogged pitch.

Eagles are the only users of the playing field and are not influenced by their landlords.

Finally - I reckon it must have been the referee who called the match off - not the home team.

Good luck in the rest of the season Tyrone.

Edited by RobinHoodHawk, 16 February 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#13 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Well the rumours were at our club last Thursday that you wouldn't be too disappointed if the game didn't go ahead as planned. Something to do with things not being quite ready. Must be off the pitch reasons as I'm sure you'd be ready on the pitch. Old Lancashire saying - " If the cap fits wear it."

An old Yorkshire saying...."If the Shoelaces don't stay tied, use Velcro".......

Posted Image

#14 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Tyrone

Weren't you the club to call off their match last Sunday morning at 10.30am ?? Then proceed to almost 'whisper' the news out ?? 

I heard of one opposing fan who travelled from Derbyshire and numerous other away supporters who travelled unecessarliy.

Praise to the Eagles staff and management who had the common sense to call in the referee early to look at a doubtful and heavily waterlogged pitch.

Eagles are the only users of the playing field and are not influenced by their landlords.

Finally - I reckon it must have been the referee who called the match off - not the home team.

Good luck in the rest of the season Tyrone.

You think calling a game off four and a half hours before kick off is too late ? I could walk from Hunslet to Rochdale in that time.

Problem for us re the re-arranged fixture is it will probably be a night match. Not easy for travelling players or fans.

#15 hawk-eye

hawk-eye
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

You think calling a game off four and a half hours before kick off is too late ? I could walk from Hunslet to Rochdale in that time.

Problem for us re the re-arranged fixture is it will probably be a night match. Not easy for travelling players or fans.

If you can walk 34 miles in 4 1/2 hours you are wasted on the keyboard!

Nobody in this league chooses mid-week games, home or away, but the referee is responsible for player safety would you be prepared to risk it?

Posted Image

#16 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

re-arranging fixtures is always a pain for everyone concerned especially for the away team and away fans when it's midweek it happens and can't be helped I've seen a pic of the pitch and a few others have seen it in the flesh it's fair to say it's in a right old state.

Regarding the utterly ridiculous rumors. The RFL visited the ground last week and deemed it good to go the game itself was a massive day for the club with a big crowd expected. The club will have lost a lot of money with this game being called off 

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#17 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

re-arranging fixtures is always a pain for everyone concerned especially for the away team and away fans when it's midweek it happens and can't be helped I've seen a pic of the pitch and a few others have seen it in the flesh it's fair to say it's in a right old state.

Regarding the utterly ridiculous rumors. The RFL visited the ground last week and deemed it good to go the game itself was a massive day for the club with a big crowd expected. The club will have lost a lot of money with this game being called off 

my mate sent me pictures from dogs friday night, you could see the water 2 foot deep all way down back straight so if a player was shoved into touch he would a drowned, i know when we have a race meeting the track lads are in 8am pumping water into the tanks for a 1pm start as the drains are all blocked and have been for years,i do really think once you have played a game on that pitch the troubles will start for sure.

#18 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Let's hope it stays dry from now on then guys.

#19 RS50

RS50
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Could it be played as a night match?. Last time I was at Owlerton (September 2013) there were no lights pointing to the infield, only to the Speedway and dog track. Does anyone know if the lights for the infield have been replaced?

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Could it be played as a night match?. Last time I was at Owlerton (September 2013) there were no lights pointing to the infield, only to the Speedway and dog track. Does anyone know if the lights for the infield have been replaced?

No, it'll be Wednesday afternoon, I expect.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users