Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Any 5 from 9.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Dewsbury, Crusaders, Haven, Worky,  Doncaster, Keighley, Swinton, Rochdale and us. Seriously think if we are lucky with injuries and the young team stay confident we have nothing to fear from these, especially at home. Really looking forward to this season, more than i have for the previous couple. Good luck boys.

#2 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

I can't see Dewsbury being in that mix with the squad they have built, it's stronger then Halifaxs in my opinion.

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

I agree Dewsbury will not be in the mix

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

I don't think we will I hope you guys are not to love a weekend up in barrow :)

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Crusaders have a much stronger squad than us aswell. Doncaster were on fire towards the end of last season and have improved slightly, although an injury to Paul Cooke and they're in trouble. Whitehaven and Workington haven't improved. Our squad looked better than Keighleys when we had Haggerty but are the Leigh lads going to make our squad better than it was with him? Only time will tell. We should be stronger than Rochdale and Swinton.

It's gonna be close.

#6 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Crusaders have a much stronger squad than us aswell. Doncaster were on fire towards the end of last season and have improved slightly, although an injury to Paul Cooke and they're in trouble. Whitehaven and Workington haven't improved. Our squad looked better than Keighleys when we had Haggerty but are the Leigh lads going to make our squad better than it was with him? Only time will tell. We should be stronger than Rochdale and Swinton.
It's gonna be close.

On what basis do you think the haven squad has not improved?

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

On what basis do you think the haven squad has not improved?

not enough for what's required. And towns is quite a bit worse. I think we can all look forward to the derbies next year, shame they will be played in championship 1.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#8 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

not enough for what's required. And towns is quite a bit worse. I think we can all look forward to the derbies next year, shame they will be played in championship 1.

Hope you are wrong mate but unfortunately I see it as being quite likely ... certainly I cant see us all surviving :(

Lee Morton

#9 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

To not get a bonus point from yesterday's game when we had a man advantage in the 2nd half is very disappointing and could prove crucial come the end of the season.

I agree all 3 Cumbrian teams will be battling it out for relegation along with Keighley, Rochdale, Swinton, Doncaster and maybe Dewsbury but they seem to be stronger than last year. Based on yesterday I think North Wales will stay up, but a lot will depend on how they travel. 

Edited by richie keay, 17 February 2014 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#10 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think the 3 Cumbrians,Rochdale and Swinton have to be the faves to go, realistically you have to beat the lesser 7 teams at home and get minimum of bonus point away, and I just can't see it at present. Hopefully all 3 can strengthen during the season, but all of our recruiting has been poor compared to the other teams. But at least haven and barrow never lost 75% of there pack.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#11 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Home wins against the other potential candidates for the drop are vital and stopping them getting a BP would also help the cause. Picking up a BP at home against the so called top 5 or 6 sides will also be cruicial and if you could beat them even better.

It will go down to the wire im sure

Lee

Lee Morton

#12 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Doomed, doomed were all doomed!
We lost away on Sunday and we have a hard game this week at home, (which we may lose) but it's a long season and I'm confident that we will be strong at home and pick up some point away too.
The Crusaders fans got behind their team and lifted them, we need to do the same.
When we get behind the team there is no more intimidating place than Craven Park. Let's lift the roof off and give the Raiders a boost.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

I think the 3 Cumbrians,Rochdale and Swinton have to be the faves to go, realistically you have to beat the lesser 7 teams at home and get minimum of bonus point away, and I just can't see it at present. Hopefully all 3 can strengthen during the season, but all of our recruiting has been poor compared to the other teams. But at least haven and barrow never lost 75% of there pack.

I'd tend to agree and maybe throw Keighley into the mix. We beat them in pre season but then again we gave Leigh our second best player in the week following.

If one Cumbrian club did manage to stay up though I imagine they would have a huge advantage with having a higher salary cap ect and more attractive fixtures. It just appears all 3 cumbrian clubs are looking to to stay where they are and prepare to go down rather than showing ambition to go up like Dewsbury, North Wales Crusaders, Leigh ect have with their recruitment in the off season.

#14 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Doomed, doomed were all doomed!
We lost away on Sunday and we have a hard game this week at home, (which we may lose) but it's a long season and I'm confident that we will be strong at home and pick up some point away too.
The Crusaders fans got behind their team and lifted them, we need to do the same.
When we get behind the team there is no more intimidating place than Craven Park. Let's lift the roof off and give the Raiders a boost.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

#15 Campeze

Campeze
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Amen to that brother!!

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager