TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The NRL has banked almost $50m thanks to an improved TV deal and sponsorship

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

The NRL has banked almost $50 million in the first year under Dave Smith’s leadership, riding high on a much-improved television deal and booming sponsorship.

Club CEOs were informed of the record result at Friday’s meeting in Auckland - a $60 million about face from 12 months ago.

The exact surplus of $49.6 million will be invested straight into the game’s future fund, which has already been used to supply financial aid to Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra.

The profit was no surprise to the clubs, given the new broadcast deal delivers rugby league an additional $100 million per annum. CEOs who spoke to The Sunday Telegraph were undecided on whether the surplus was enough, preferring to wait until future years to add perspective.

http://www.dailytele...z-1226828194604

I wasn't sure about David Smith and how he would go with "Jumping Castles at every game" but I am pleasantly surprised how well he is doing.

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Isn't there a forum for this stuff here:- http://www.totalrl.c...y-league-forum/

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

Maybe they could use some of it to help the international game.

Edited by markleeds, 16 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Maybe they could use some of ot to help the international game.

I think there are plans to inject some money into PNG and the Pacific Island nations.

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Maybe they could use some of ot to help the international game.

I can't help but feel about how big the next WC could be with the current administration running things. 2008 was pretty half arsed, yet still turned a good profit and had big crowds. 2017 could be 3x as big. 

#6 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

I can't help but feel about how big the next WC could be with the current administration running things. 2008 was pretty half arsed, yet still turned a good profit and had big crowds. 2017 could be 3x as big. 

Next World Cup in Australia will be huge, as will the growth of the nines, as will the commonwealth games on the Gold Coast if they enter the nines into the games. 

Rugby League is booming and every city will want to be part of the nines action. It is now up to Dave Smith and Jim Doyle to grow that after this nines event was nothing short of spectacular without our superstars or super league  teams and even pacific teams involved,. 

Crack the champas. 

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yes, I tend to agree. If they take it half as seriously as the RFL last year then it could be a major success.

I was over in 2008, and tbh it was a pretty low-key event.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

The success of the NRL over the last 12-months is entirely down to the Burgess brothers.

Bradford are owed about AU$25m for that. Come on, credit where it's due please.

Pretty please.

If the NRL had already done the right thing, Sam wouldn't have walked. Simples.

(Oo, it's like League Freak talking utter tripe and believeing it!)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Next World Cup in Australia will be huge, as will the growth of the nines, as will the commonwealth games on the Gold Coast if they enter the nines into the games. 

Rugby League is booming and every city will want to be part of the nines action. It is now up to Dave Smith and Jim Doyle to grow that after this nines event was nothing short of spectacular without our superstars or super league  teams and even pacific teams involved,. 

Crack the champas. 

The nines was a one time event so far. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

#10 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

on a five year contract so at least four to come!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#11 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

on a five year contract so at least four to come!

Well at least two to come.

Its a two and two year option I believe.

#12 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

A free to air network has announced their intentions to bid for the Nines rights and Suncorp Stadium chair in Brisbane have just thrown their hat into the ring to secure  the Nines for Brisbane. 

Expansion looks likely and i can even see the event over 3 days moving towards a two weekend event. . 

Could be as early as next year even because Eden Park is booked out for the Cricket World Cup. 

Big things are happening and the cash registers will be ticking over big time same dates next year. 

I can see them bringing in a rugby team, and 4 super league clubs. 

They could even have invites for other amateur nations. 

This has turned into a unstoppable monster. Could become bigger than Origin  with a international flavour. 

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

A free to air network has announced their intentions to bid for the Nines rights and Suncorp Stadium chair in Brisbane have just thrown their hat into the ring to secure the Nines for Brisbane.
Expansion looks likely and i can even see the event over 3 days moving towards a two weekend event. .
Could be as early as next year even because Eden Park is booked out for the Cricket World Cup.
Big things are happening and the cash registers will be ticking over big time same dates next year.
I can see them bringing in a rugby team, and 4 super league clubs.
They could even have invites for other amateur nations.
This has turned into a unstoppable monster. Could become bigger than Origin with a international flavour.

whilst I dont want to curb your ebnthusiasm, I have to ask, were you this enthusiastic when the WC got 141k for the last two days of the tournament?

This smacks of jizzing over the nrl to me.

#14 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

There is no greater exponent to anyone wanting to see the game grow than me. I have seen plenty of false dawns before, plus no vision at all by the code to understand a new dawn rising for our code. 

I will lay out some of the positive signs for you now. 

This is unlike what we have seen in the past, and it all came down to freeing up the NRL from the restrictions that had been placed on the game here in Australia. Here are a few of the main points.

1/ The NRL first and last rights has now been lifted, so next TV deal will be fought hard by stations with vision and need. 

To get a small understanding of how much this will help the game, well they bidded a extra 150% above the last deal which was 400 million over 5 years, now it is 1 billion over 5 years. So they now know the games worth. 

2/ Cash was the only thing holding the game back. The NRL in their first year without this new boose of the Nines, made a 60 million profit. Yes i know they banked 50 million, but they lost 10 million the year before. So it is a 60 million turnaround for the NRL. That will grow as the game grows. 

3/ The sudden explosion of the Nines onto the scene in Australia and NZ will help the World Cup come 2017. 

People all of a sudden are opening their eyes to rugby league, they are not liking what they see, they are loving it. 

4/ The Nines has proved one thing, this short game is exciting. Consider the game had most of its top stars sitting at home. Here is just a couple of Examples, Manly---- No Brett or Glen Stewarts, Watmough, Forun, Lyons, Matai or Ballin. Raiders---- no Edrick Lee, Campese, Milford or Papalli. The list goes on, imagine all these players next year in every team which all missed stars. 

5/ Dave Smith and the NRL commission know exactly how to grow the game, and they have international growth at top of their lists. 

6/ 2017 is going to be a watershed moment for rugby league, not only would the Nines become a huge juggernaught by then, but we will be into a world cup year and lets not forget, they would have also just announced the new TV deal as well as the new expansion teams hopefully. 

7/ Their is unlimited growth for nines events, the world is your oyster for Nines, the Super League needs a nines event ASAP. They could have all the championship clubs involved and invite Irealnd Scotland and wales, along with the French clubs at super league and championship level. 

It is up to superleague now to see the light.  

Mate 2017 is going to be Rugby Leagues Golden Goose. I think with first and last rights gone, the NRL should go close to topping out 2 billion if they sell the game for what it will be worth. 

Huge call, but i will stand by that amount. 

The product we will have to sell is enormous. 

NRL, Nines, Origin, WCC, All-Stars, Super Bowl, Indigenous knockout comps, NSW cup and QLD cups. 

That is without the Internationals for the RFL. 

Extra bonus for internationals for RFL should include Island Nations internationals, Anzac test, Four Nations, plus World Cup, not to mention their focus they should put on a nines international game and hopefully the growth of a commonwealth games nines foothold. . All should be packed out and make the RFL a lot of cash. This is the beginning. 

The RFL off the back of that could sell the game at a premium with the groundwork the NRL will give them. 

Anyhow, happy days. 

Edited by oikee, 20 February 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#15 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Its not rocket science how the NRL attracts sponsors and get big TV deals, and Super League can't. The NRL is forward looking and looking to expand. The RFL are insular and are going to shrink Super League and are doing there best to kill off a Super League team in London, why at the same time they are bending over backwards to make sure a basket case like the Bradford Bulls survive in super league. Is it little wonder that we couldn't attract a competition sponsor last season, and prior to that we had a sponsor who payed us nothing.

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

5/ Dave Smith and the NRL commission know exactly how to grow the game, and they have international growth at top of their lists. 

I certainly hope that is true statement...

Its not rocket science how the NRL attracts sponsors and get big TV deals, and Super League can't. The NRL is forward looking and looking to expand. The RFL are insular and are going to shrink Super League and are doing there best to kill off a Super League team in London, why at the same time they are bending over backwards to make sure a basket case like the Bradford Bulls survive in super league.

Whilst some of the recent changes in the UK are clearly good e.g. TV deal etc, I still don't think the RFL really have a grasp of where they want the game to be in 10-15 years time and are not ambitious enough... There seems to be this prevailing idea that we MUST protect the heartlands of the game and parity and equality across the board to the detrimental impact to places like London and France. Whilst the Broncos are clearly a basket case and probably beyond saving, bad decisions in the past from both the club AND RFL have contributed to this. The RFL MUST get away from the idea that they can't be seen to give clubs outside the heartlands special treatment. Until that change in mindset happens, they will continue to be an insular and reactive organisation.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Its not rocket science how the NRL attracts sponsors and get big TV deals, and Super League can't. The NRL is forward looking and looking to expand. The RFL are insular and are going to shrink Super League and are doing there best to kill off a Super League team in London, why at the same time they are bending over backwards to make sure a basket case like the Bradford Bulls survive in super league. Is it little wonder that we couldn't attract a competition sponsor last season, and prior to that we had a sponsor who payed us nothing.

I agree with that but the prevailing wisdom amongst the rich and powerful running SL and amongst posters on here who think in lockstep with them is that a retrenchment to 10 teams with a huge percentage still on the M62 and another one or two in France who are unlikely to appeal to UK sponsors, is the way to success.

Fortunately the RFL seem to think that expanding the franchise by a sort of return to p and r at the top of the game and by geographical expansion in CC and CC1 is the vision for the future. Sky TV must also think along these lines as they have increased their deal and are planning to cover some of the Championship's too games and the p and r middle 8 competition.

There is an internal war going on between the proponents of these two views and I fear for the future of the game in this country if the "what we have, we hold " faction wins the day.

#18 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

There is no way in the world Super League will go backwards from here. The NRL can understand the need to have a healthy Super League and France for that matter. 

I think with the growth of the NRL and the overflow from that as more come into the code from a growth area in half the country, (southern states) along with the new drive into NZ and pacific islands and Papua New Guinea now onboard, they are going to need somewhere to send the players who are just below top level and want more than just waiting for openings. 

No, super league is going to be a huge part of the game. The flow-off will be a lot better quality than in the past. I think you are starting to see examples of that now. 

It is easier to grow the game in England with the structure they have now. It is easier to keep less teams alive that are better quality at this time. This could change over the next ten years if they quality and amount of players change in Australia, which i think it will once we move into new areas and flow into more schools. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users